Using Dino or Synthetic for 3-5K changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5sfe 4cyl Camry, I tend to do oil changes 3-5K. When I used dino, I changed the oil every 2.5K.

My question is, if I am going to change the oil every 3K anyways, should I just go with DINO? I looked at the specs for Castrol GTX 5w30 and it doesnt really stray far from M1 5w30.

Would I gain any benits from using Synthetic from 3-5K versus DINO. Will dino leave more deposits in the long run even with freq changes as 3K? The 2001 5sfe camry is one of the sludge monsters supposively even though its the 4banger.

Well I guess to save a little bit money I could use synthetic up to 7500mi and change the filter/top off half way.

Just want everyone's opinions.

Thanks

Dino every 3K is fine. With the synthetics you can stretch the OCI out to say 6K or more. In the end I guess it adds up to be about the same.

I change oil (Mobil 1 5w/30) in my '99 24v Taurus every May and November which turns about to be less than 6,000 per 6 months. I change oil in my wife's '01 Windstar every 3-4,000 miles using Castrol GTX 5w/30. The van gets more highway mileage and the sedan does more short trip stuff. Go figure.
cool.gif

I also drive about or less than 1,000 mi a month, so I guess maybe i should stick to synth since it handles sitting around better than dino...hmm..

I usually drive in the weekend so the car sits for the whole week.

Road_rascal, try the Chevron Supreme 5w30 in the Windstar. We put it in our 2000 Windstar..... wow, it drives better. I don't think my dad has put Castrol GTX in it but the Chevron is good. At WOT, the power feels smoother.

Heh, the only way to get a Windstar to run smoother is to shut off the engine and coast. I have just enough Castrol for one more oil change then I'll probably try the Chevron. I don't drive the van very much (wife's vehicle) but I've never had any problems using Castrol in the past. I'll see if I can locate the Chevron oil locally here. I don't think I've ever seen it at Fleet Farm or Checker Auto and I'm not quite sure if Wal Mart has it. Where do you get it in TX?

I get it at Walmart. My dad went to a Chevron service center to get it changed and they used all chevron fluids, even in the tranny. If you can't get it where you live, Texaco Havoline is the same thing, but costs a little more. How many miles are on your Windstar?

quote:

Originally posted by road_rascal:
I'll see if I can locate the Chevron oil locally here. I don't think I've ever seen it at Fleet Farm or Checker Auto and I'm not quite sure if Wal Mart has it.

If you come up to Champlin, we have it at Checker, lots f it. Fleet Farm doesn't have it, but they do have lots of Havoline.

I own a 01 Camry with the same engine. In my scheduled maintenance log it says that you should do your oil changes at 5K or 4 month intervals if you operate your vehicle under any of the following conditions.

-Driving on unpaved or dusty roads.
-Towing a trailer or using acar-top carrier.
-Repeated trips of less than 5 miles in
temperatures below freezing.

Use 7.5K or six month intervals if you primarily operate your vehicle under conditions other than those listed.

I find that interesting. They are saying it is ok to go 5K or 7.5K on dino oil. I checked on their web site and this is what Toyota says about dino oil used in there engines.

"All Toyota vehicles come from the factory with natural petroleum-based engine oil. Toyota is currently recommending API1 grade SJ or SL, or ILSAC2 multigrade petroleum-based engine oil3 for our current model year vehicles. In moderate climates, this oil should have a Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) viscosity rating of 5W-30. In our high mileage tests with preventative maintenance performed at the recommended intervals, the recommended natural petroleum-based oil has provided excellent service."

Jeff

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
I get it at Walmart. My dad went to a Chevron service center to get it changed and they used all chevron fluids, even in the tranny. If you can't get it where you live, Texaco Havoline is the same thing, but costs a little more. How many miles are on your Windstar?

It's a 2001 and has around 42,000 miles on it. We don't tow anything with it and as I've stated before it gets decent highway useage so I'm not concerned about stretching the OCI to 4,000 at the max. From what I've been seeing on this board, the Castrol 5w/30 is a fairly decent oil. Next time I'm at Wal Mart stocking up on filters (Motorcraft for $2.93
gr_stretch.gif
)I'll check and see if they have Chevron or Havoline oil. I'd just assume to continue one brand of oil but the Auto-RX discussions I've been reading about are interesting and I have a feeling I'll be doing that to the Windstar fairly soon. Thanks for the Checker tip JonS- there's one about 3 miles from my house. I'll see what they have for oil.

quote:

Originally posted by tadaima:
-*-*-*- My question is, if I am going to change the oil every 3K anyways, should I just go with DINO?
*-*-Would I gain any benits from using Synthetic from 3-5K versus DINO. -*-*-*

Your call. I would. Syn is fine, but the expense for this short OCI, stick to Dino and every 15-20 maybe 30K do a light flush. Or perhaps add some additive in the oil to help keep it clean at every oil change. A bottle here will last a long time.... and no need to do the flushes.

My cuz has a new Toyota 4cyl. I gave him a 5l jug of M1 5w-30 but he bought a case of GTX instead because he *likes* changing oil in the middle of winter, you know...by MILEAGE! I want an oil that will get me clear through the winter with a change. I say figure what oil will get you up to a sane 6 month OC interval without sleep loss and use that. Everyone here should know that GTX will go a whole **** year anyway. Use that at 6 month intervals to be honest! If you go more than 7500 miles in 6 months, maybe you need more changes than 2 a year, but at least try going a little longer and forget that change the filter halfway stuff.

At 6 month interval:
2500 to 6000 miles = dino
5000 to 8000 miles = synth

Yes, overlap at 5000 to 6000 miles allows for variables like value of the car and storage conditions.

[ November 18, 2003, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back