using a car oil filter for a motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do that just make sure the bypass pressure is the same as what the MC manufacturer recommends. Most Harley gerotor pumps don't pump very high presssure.

Code:
Here's the mother of all motorcycle/car filter cross reference. Lots of interesting motorycle information on this site as well. Hope this helps someone..Motorcycle/Car Oil Filter X-Ref

Wow!!!
shocked2.gif

Go to http://www.wixfilters.com and you'll see a sub-link for ATV/motorcycles. You can most likely find your answer there.

There really isn't anything that makes a filter a "motorcycle" filter. If you look up a particular filter on the Wix site, you'll see a sub-page that has "all applications" on it. It's funny to see just how many different vehicles a particular filter is used on. One of mine is usable on my motorcycle, fork-trucks, small 4 and 6 cylinder cars, diesel tractors, and generators. I'm always amazed at people that buy OEM because they think it's better than brand "x" and if they don't use OEM, somehow they'll loose their warranty. It's not that OEM is bad necessarily, but OEM certainly doesn't have the market cornered on exclusivly best, either.

It siimply comes down to physical size, thread pitch, beta ratio/filtering effeciency, ADBV, burst pressures, and on and on.

Try the Wix site; you'll be impressed with the info there. If you don't want to buy wix, it still will give you an excellent application guide, and then you can go to the Purolator site or (gulp) ... the Fram site ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back