using 10w30 in a car made for 0w20 or 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lui
i pump 5w30 into those engines everyday at work. no issues.

10w30 should not be a problem either.

Why isn't your dealership installing the correct oil?

Quote:
Most readers of this board are probably aware that most v6 designs are 60 degrees, but some v8 block assembly lines (V8's are nearly always 90 degree motors) were converted to V6's, thus saving startup costs but resulting in "cob job" crankshafts.

GM's 4.3L V6 comes to mind......

Originally Posted By: bigbull2984
My friend has a 2007 camry. It has a 2.4lt inline 4. The cap says 0w20 or 5w20. Would using Royal Purple 10w30 be a issue???

Thanks

In my Honda, amony only 20 wt oils, using a thicker 20 wt oil among other 'slicker' 20 wt choices yields lesser fuel economy and even lesser performance depending on what brand I choose. So far, i have found only 1 20wt brand that superseeds others in both FE and performance and that's CP's Motorcraft and their Super All Season synthetic blend. I guess if your FE and perfromance isn't going to go way down by using a 10-30 in place of 5/0w-20 then go for it but in the case of hondas and their oil pumps, you are pretty much forced to go as thin as possible and still use the weight the car wants you to use for warranty etc.

Originally Posted By: notalk
FWIW, and I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here, I have the opportunity to regularly ask questions of a number of oil company engineers. I had been driving a car which specified 5W-40 oil. I recently bought a car which specifies 5W-30 oil. I live in Phoenix, AZ and wondered whether the 30 would protect as well as the 40 in the Phoenix summers. I asked if I could continue to use the 5W-40 I had been using with my old car. The universal answer was "no". The oil company engineers all told me that if the internals were sized to accomodate a 5W-40, the manufacturer would have specified a 5W-40 and not a 4W-30. They all said it is okay to go to a lower number, but never a higher number.

I don't know if this is true or not, and I know a number of regulars will disagree with this. It may be "standard party line" advice. But, I do get the same advice from the engineers, no matter which company they work for. Again, fwiw.

LOL, so a stock '57 Chevy can use 0W-20, by their logic? Hilarious.

Don't know about the clearances back in 1988, but I bought a new F150 with a 5.0L and put 467,000 miles on it on mostly Castrol GTX 20w-50. Sometimes I would substitute a quart or two of Castrol synthetic 15w-50 if I planned to tow a 21-foot bay boat a lot. I live in the Deep South, so we seldom get below 25 degrees. Electrical gremlins is what sidelined the truck, not mechanical issues.

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Don't know about the clearances back in 1988, but I bought a new F150 with a 5.0L and put 467,000 miles on it on mostly Castrol GTX 20w-50. Sometimes I would substitute a quart or two of Castrol synthetic 15w-50 if I planned to tow a 21-foot bay boat a lot. I live in the Deep South, so we seldom get below 25 degrees. Electrical gremlins is what sidelined the truck, not mechanical issues.

and you would`v got 1,000,000 out of it on 5W20....:) jk

Last edited:
20W-50 seemed to be a popular grade in the 1980's for 'hard working engines'...Pennzoil 20W-50 ads showed either a GMC Jimmy offroading, or a Trans Am on the highway in their ads....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
20W-50 seemed to be a popular grade in the 1980's for 'hard working engines'...Pennzoil 20W-50 ads showed either a GMC Jimmy offroading, or a Trans Am on the highway in their ads....

2z8x0e8.jpg

34il6qv.jpg

24eoq3n.jpg

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
Piston skirt oil sprayers require the lighter weights for best effectiveness.

My Ferrari with piston oil squirters specify xxW-40 oils.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: lui
i pump 5w30 into those engines everyday at work. no issues.

10w30 should not be a problem either.

Why isn't your dealership installing the correct oil?

Good question. Just got the UOA back from the past dealership change on my 14 Wrangler (3.6L Pentastar with 5w-20 MS-6395 required) and it turns out, they put a 5-30W in it.

Things that make you go mmmmmmm....

Every once in awhile I'll fill up a cake mixing bowel with 10W-30 and dip a sponge in it - that sponge being a Briggs & Stratton air filter. Then I'll squeeze out the excess - leaving an oil film all through the sponge. Gives me a chance to get up close and personal with the oil.
smile.gif

I don't know why some people think 10W-30 is such a thick oil.

It's thin enough for an engine to suck air right through it.

The "10w30 is too thick" crowd needs to take a look at some product data sheets. Many 10w30s are actually a bit thinner at 40C, 100C, and HTHS than their 5w30 counterparts.

Addendum: The 1915 in Dad's Bug ran from 1983 to 2004 on 10w30. Daily driver. (Speedo was changed several times, no idea on miles.)

The old brown van had 30 years and over 400,000 on 10w30.

My coworker has a diesel Excursion she has run on 5w20 Motorcraft blend for over 100,000! (That's what her previous truck used, she didn't know diesels took special oil, and didn't want to change when she found out because the Excursion was "used" to it.)

Big rigs tow 80,000lbs on 10w30.

Heavy weights are not needed, imho.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back