using 0w30 C2 Oil instead 0w20 C5 oil in volvo XC90 SPA

I would try C3 but thats totaly different oil. Do you know anyone who tried to swap oils?
There are C3 oils that are also C2.
Old Mobil1 ESP 5W30 was C3 and C2.
You can always go thicker than recommended without issues. You will have more protection, which in real world matters if you are really demanding a lot from vehicle. But, you will be hit consumption wise (probably you won’t notice) and turbo will spool bit slower (again, maybe you won’t notice).

Why wouldn't it be fine in winter?
Based it on my experience with my 1984 Isuzu P/U. Back when it was new, I used 10W40 on summer and 10W30 on winter. If I used 10W40 on winter, the vehicle starts at a slower rate, like the battery does not have enough cracking power. Compared that to 10W30, the vehicle starts immediately. Also, I noticed on winter, when using 10W40 especially when engine is cold and drive it right away there is a drag like it is pulling something from behind. And also, I got terrible gas mileage at 10W40 on winter.
In fairness, if I used 10W40 on summer I get the same gas mileage as 10W30 on winter. This is based on my experience on this vehicle.
The oil I used on my other vehicles. my Escape is 5W20 & Jaguar is 0W20 are all year round. If I use XW30, I could get a different result but I "may" not feel the difference in engine performance but for gas mileage it surely will take a beating especially on winter. As the old saying goes, "Your mileage may vary" ;)

Last edited:
There are C3 oils that are also C2!
Before Volvo, i owned Land rover discovery sport 2.0 d and factory oil was C2 0w30. But with that Castrol Magnatec car runed smoother and quieter. It was also Euro 6 , practicly same modern diesel like Volvo Spa. I dont understand why is land rover using C2 oils and Volvo C5 oils. Whats the big difference between C2 and C5 oils. i think C2 0w30 should be better than 0w20 C5 or I am wrong?

Before Volvo, i owned Land rover discovery sport 2.0 d and factory oil was C2 0w30. But with that Castrol Magnatec car runed smoother and quieter. It was also Euro 6 , practicly same modern diesel like Volvo Spa. I dont understand why is land rover using C2 oils and Volvo C5 oils. Whats the big difference between C2 and C5 oils. i think C2 0w30 should be better than 0w20 C5 or I am wrong?
Quieter doesn’t mean anything. In Europe Magnatec is positioned lower than Edge in Castrol lineup.
C5 is more fuel efficient. That is only reason why they are using it.
Or use INA SINT 👌

Quieter doesn’t mean anything. In Europe Magnatec is positioned lower than Edge in Castrol lineup.
C5 is more fuel efficient. That is only reason why they are using it.
Or use INA SINT 👌
INA SINT? Jesi li ti mozda iz mojih krajeva?

There are C3 oils that are also C2!
Lubrizol 360 - my favorite comparison/argument settlement tool:

1671906941899.png

1671906962922.png

ACEA C2 claims to offer the same anti-wear protection as ACEA C3 while delivering better fuel economy. Does it really? I don't know.

Some blenders claim that their C3 oil is also C2 compatible as a marketing ploy. ACEA C2 is a lesser standard (no min-TBN requirement) compared to C3 and focuses on fuel economy.

It's kind of like Red Line saying that their HP 5W-30 oil is Dexos G1D2 compatible, lol. They actually claim that on their website. In fact, Red Line HP 5W-30 is an ACEA A3/B4 type blend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based it on my experience with my 1984 Isuzu P/U. Back when it was new, I used 10W40 on summer and 10W30 on winter. If I used 10W40 on winter, the vehicle starts at a slower rate, like the battery does not have enough cracking power. Compared that to 10W30, the vehicle starts immediately. Also, I noticed on winter, when using 10W40 especially when engine is cold and drive it right away there is a drag like it is pulling something from behind. And also, I got terrible gas mileage at 10W40 on winter.
In fairness, if I used 10W40 on summer I get the same gas mileage as 10W30 on winter. This is based on my experience on this vehicle.
The oil I used on my other vehicles. my Escape is 5W20 & Jaguar is 0W20 are all year round. If I use XW30, I could get a different result but I "may" not feel the difference in engine performance but for gas mileage it surely will take a beating especially on winter. As the old saying goes, "Your mileage may vary" ;)
That’s really something.

Oh, I didn't realize that was 1984. Oil has improved since then, right?
I haven't seen anyone yet on BITOG quote themselves and respond to their own question with another question. I guess there is a first time for everything... 🙄

That’s really something.
It is, isn't it?
Oh, I didn't realize that was 1984. Oil has improved since then, right?
I'm not here to make debate or an argument. My reply to Rod Knock's comments was based on my Isuzu 1.9 gas with Carburetor engine. The consistent slow startup cracking and drag I noticed on a cold winter days using 10W40 only happened when the engine is cold, once it ran for about a mile or 2 it runs normally. Also, I am using Conventional motor oil not Synthetic. On the other side, if I used 10W30 on hot summer days, I could have fried up the engine especially here in Texas where it gets to 95+ dF. To be honest, this vehicle has the original engine, only opened during valve adjustments, No knowledge about the miles on it. Odometer stopped working at 99K m iles 30 some years ago.
Merry Christmas to all

Last edited:
I'm not here to make debate or an argument. My reply to Rod Knock's comments was based on my Isuzu 1.9 gas with Carburetor engine. The consistent slow startup cracking and drag I noticed on a cold winter days using 10W40 only happened when the engine is cold, once it ran for about a mile or 2 it runs normally. Also, I am using Conventional motor oil not Synthetic. On the other side, if I used 10W30 on hot summer days, I could have fried up the engine especially here in Texas where it gets to 95+ dF. To be honest, this vehicle has the original engine, only opened during valve adjustments, No knowledge about the miles on it. Odometer stopped working at 99K m iles 30 some years ago.
Merry Christmas to all
Get some Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for your Isuzu and your engine should be happy year-round without any issues.

Get some Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for your Isuzu and your engine should be happy year-round without any issues.
I have several qts of bottles in stash 10W30s & 10W40s (conventional) that I bought on clearance/discounted over the years plus HM 5 gallons in variants. The thing is, once I got low on my supplies, here comes another clearance/discounted bottles from different Auto Shops. 😩
As soon as ran out (I don't know when?), I'll stick to the M1 FS 0W-40 you recommended. Thanks

Back