used vehicle for daughter

My vote is Civic/Corolla/Camry, all made a name for reliability and ease of ownership. That is what I would want in my children's first vehicle, easy to own and maintain, little worries if they are gonna get to where they need to be.

she's 19 and off to college and her current vehicle is the Pontiac vibe/matrix (my 2006) and while bulletproof I can't imagine it being safe at all with no abs or side curtain airbags...just get a newer version of that you say?? she would like to change the flavor up a bit if you know what I'm saying..

The 2006 Matrix/Vibe doesn't have ABS? :eek:

I'm pretty sure it has ABS and side airbags, even if they're not curtain airbags.

There is a lot of good stuff in that price range. I picked my my kid a 97 Z71. That is what he wanted.

I would imagine a Camry, Accord, Corolla, Civic would be a good one. Lots to chose from.

Civic
Corolla
Camry
Accord
CRV
Jetta 2.5L 2010-2013
Acura TL 3.2L 2004-2008

In no particular order. My younger cousins all own one of the above (I have 27 cousins) per my recommendations and they have been very reliable, safe cars that require minimal maintenance. The Acura TL and Accord V6s along with pre-2006 Civics will require timing belts every 100k. Besides that just regular service. I have 4 Jetta 2.5L's in my family and they have all been great too, I use FCP Euro's lifetime warranty for maintenance parts and maintaining them has been super easy and affordable, and they seem to have better corrosion protection.

thanks everybody for the replies...the problem I have is living in the rust belt hampers thinks. I purchased our current vehicle back in 2017 and it had no rust at all underneath and now well lets just say it's incredible how accelerated it became...

only the GT gets abs, and side airbags are optional...
Oh yeah, if people are recommending an Acura, look at a 2008/2009 Mercedes E-350. Has all the safety features you want, side impact airbags, rear seat airbags, can't remember 7-8 airbags actually. And of course ABS, traction control and stability control is standard along with 4 wheel disc brakes. Lots of aluminum too like the trunk and hood. Will still get rust underneath though although you'd have to take off all those body panels to see it. Don't look at anything older though, 2006-2007 models had their own serious engine problems. They're actually in the 8-10k range depending on mileage. Had my 2008 for 6 years. Nothing too crazy on the maintenance.

Oh yeah, if people are recommending an Acura, look at a 2008/2009 Mercedes E-350. Has all the safety features you want, side impact airbags, rear seat airbags, can't remember 7-8 airbags actually. And of course ABS, traction control and stability control is standard along with 4 wheel disc brakes. Lots of aluminum too like the trunk and hood. Will still get rust underneath though although you'd have to take off all those body panels to see it. Don't look at anything older though, 2006-2007 models had their own serious engine problems. They're actually in the 8-10k range depending on mileage. Had my 2008 for 6 years. Nothing too crazy on the maintenance.

Reliability is the most important factor, and you say a 10+ year old Mercedes? :rolleyes: :unsure: :LOL:

There are more-reliable cars with those safety features in the OP's price range :)

I would program prices slightly above your target level with no other criteria other than it can’t be a pickup truck or some other totally unsuitable vehicle and have a look at what’s available. In other words, hang loose.

Buy based on the everything else but brand.

Reliability is the most important factor, and you say a 10+ year old Mercedes? :rolleyes: :unsure: :LOL:
Let's just say it's never left me stranded. You do have to keep up with the maintenance though, but that's true of any car. For instance some other cars mentioned have timing belts which can be expensive to replace. At least the Mercedes has a chain so no need to change a belt.

thoughts on a 2015 rav4 lmited nice condition/clean well maintained with 180k all hwy miles for 11.500 kbb says ok at this price, but how accurate is this really?? dealers are at 14-15k with comparable vehicle... thoughts???

Back