Looking to buy used around $15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I don't see anything wrong with 15k. You can get fully loaded models with remaining warranty for cheaper than you'd pay for new.

Loaded models often depreciate faster and can be good deals. What i hate to see is people paying near new for something like Accord LX. They take 1 year old car with 20-30k miles on it for less than 1,000 off what a new one can be negotiated to. The first miles on any car are the best miles, everything is so fresh and tight, ect, so make sure the discount is big enough.

For a '14 LX with 30-40k I'd only be willing to pay about $12k. An '14 EX with the same miles I'd like $13-14.5k.

Those prices would make a lot of sense, if you can find them. Here in Utah people worship Honda, Toyota, and Subaru. a 2014 Accord clean title is still like 16 17 18 grand. I could not believe how much we got out of a relatives Subaru Forester at 3 years old it only lost $3500 from the new price.

Originally Posted By: redhat
.... I guess its about time these days to get rid of the negative perception towards Hyundai and Kia? eh?

I dunno about that...I've heard of several Kia engine failures at 60k and less. Recently.

I was taking Pop to the Dr yesterday and a Caddy CTS blew by me and it made me think of this thread. Nice ride, well built, all the luxury you could want. I'll bet I could find a nice used one for 15 large ...

I just think for this kinda money you could go WAY upscale in a slightly older car. If you have a good independent garage nearby, service and repairs are not that tough. Lotta good miles let in most of these kinda vehicles
smile.gif

As far as rust free slightly older cars go, come out to the West Coast, buy a nice example (we got lots), get it serviced and drive it home. Keep it for 3 years or so and sell it for what you paid
smile.gif

Example just off the top: http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/5907341693.html

Last edited:
weight doesn't have much to do with snow-driveability. In fact it should be a deficit. The car prob has too wide a tire on it for its weight. You have to accelerate that weight and stop it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
weight doesn't have much to do with snow-driveability. In fact it should be a deficit.
Agree. A lighter car should actually be easier to control.

Quote:
The car prob has too wide a tire on it for its weight.

He mentioned he's using 195-wide winter tires, which to me sounds appropriate for a modern Civic.

Maybe the particular model of winter tire he's using leaves something to be desired?

I've experienced the car being thrown around in 2-4 inches of snow with tracks and rutts in it. An anomaly that doesn't happen in my Accord.

You could get a 13-15 and a 16 malibu limited for prob 13-17k with 20-40k on it. It has the 2.5L 6 speed trans. Decent power for the combination and does great in the winter weather. Also you could get a 10-12 fusion with the 3.0 or 2.5L 6 speed for 7-12k with 60-100k.

Last edited:
Subaru Forester/Outback in your price?

Great winter driver and built safe. Cons: high resale. Oil burners (some of them).
Grab an older H6 or a Forester XT - avoids headgasket issues that way and are old enough to be cheap.

FWIW I paid $15,200 out the door last year for a 2015 Chevy Cruze 1LT automatic with 2,500 miles on it. Some cars can save you a lot of money buying (slightly) used.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I was taking Pop to the Dr yesterday and a Caddy CTS blew by me and it made me think of this thread. Nice ride, well built, all the luxury you could want. I'll bet I could find a nice used one for 15 large ...

I just think for this kinda money you could go WAY upscale in a slightly older car. If you have a good independent garage nearby, service and repairs are not that tough. Lotta good miles let in most of these kinda vehicles
smile.gif

As far as rust free slightly older cars go, come out to the West Coast, buy a nice example (we got lots), get it serviced and drive it home. Keep it for 3 years or so and sell it for what you paid
smile.gif

Example just off the top: http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/5907341693.html

That's a beautiful car!! I've always liked Cadillacs and Lincolns.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I've experienced the car being thrown around in 2-4 inches of snow with tracks and rutts in it. An anomaly that doesn't happen in my Accord.
I knew when Honda went to mac struts on the civic it was going to steer like a pig. Same with accord. Main thing Honda had going for it was a SLA front suspension geometry.

Mac strut are very sensitive to toe in and tire pressure esp with neg scrub geo.
Alignment: Get the toe to between zero and neg 0.14Deg TOTAL toe. EXACTLY same L+R with centered wheel. Make sure tires are not over inflated and within 1/4 psi per axle. Prob should be 29 front MAX anything over 32 its going to be steering on the center rib. 195mm is a large secion width for a compact. 2800 lbs is getting piggy - but the civic is near accord size now. The classic civic is dead AFAIK.
The Great S. Honda San is roiling in the grave. Really, The civic has become a joke now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back