used Porsche 911 advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saving up for my next car and seriously considering a 911. I have 2 smll children so a back seat is necessary and well...the 911 back seat is only useful for small kids or my briefcase. It won't be used for kid hauling much but just the occasional pickup. Budget is ~40k and timeline is about 2 years maybe sooner. Will be my DD, I put 15k a year on my car.

No real opinion on 6 speed or ttiptronic, though the trip will make my life easier based on my commute.

Anyone living with a 911 as a DD?

The 911 is on my list of cars I'd like to own, but then it's probably on just about everyone's.
Check some of the Porsche boards.
There are certain years that should be on the must avoid list while there are others that can be expected to give 300K.
If I were buying a used 911, I'd find a savvy local indie shop to do the pre-purchase inspection, since there are certain known problems that you'll want to be aware of before writing the check.

I have no 1st hand experience, but through friends & family members that have them, I know that the intermediate bearing failure issue is a very big deal.

It only impacts certain model years, but Google/research it prior to your purchase.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

If I were buying a used 911, I'd find a savvy local indie shop to do the pre-purchase inspection, since there are certain known problems that you'll want to be aware of before writing the check.

This.

I checked out a 1991 911 and took it to an indy Euro shop, and proceeded to find out that it had been in a frame-damage accident (couldn't tell from above).

My brother in law was the purchaser but he lived in Chicago. He ended up with an original-owner 1988 red 911 targa which was in amazing condition. Had he gone with the lower-cost one and no inspection, he'd be owning a repainted wreck.

The valves need to be done on older models.

Originally Posted By: thr_wedge
Saving up for my next car and seriously considering a 911. I have 2 smll children so a back seat is necessary and well...the 911 back seat is only useful for small kids or my briefcase. It won't be used for kid hauling much but just the occasional pickup. Budget is ~40k and timeline is about 2 years maybe sooner. Will be my DD, I put 15k a year on my car.

No real opinion on 6 speed or ttiptronic, though the trip will make my life easier based on my commute.

What years? If 40k budget then I would grab a 997, and avoid a 996. I am an airhead and miss my 964. Yes 996 IMS is a problem. My Porsche Indy told me to stay away from 996 as he gets a lot in his shop with problems, although my 964 was not cheap to maintain either,

My dad has owned four 911's throughout his life and recently sold the 4th one and ordered his 5th one directly from Porsche. He's put a couple hundred thousand miles on each one.

I grew up riding in the back/front of these cars, get to drive them occasionally and witnessed the joy and frustration they can bring.

If you're serious then I strongly suggest you join your local Porsche club, you don't have to own one, and learn about them from people that live with them every day. They will have a wealth of free information and benefits.

997+, newest possible. There are a number of good Porsche shops in the area.

Starting 2009 engine was redesigned and no more IMS, so it cant fail. I would check the DME report. This shows over revs and after a certain range could lead to engine failures. I am in the same boat (2 kids in college). I will be looking for a PDK equipped car so not to worry about over revs as much if at all when they hit the 50k price level. One thing I find amazing is most have 3-5 owners in as little as six years since new. very few 1-2 owner cars. I really dont like buying cars with that many owners in such a short time frame.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. Didn't realize about the IMS failure. That pretty much limits me to 2009 and newer. I'm not dropping 40k on something with known design issues. I already did something similar to that...twice (bought not one but TWO different vehicles that were 1st model year and had a number of design issues).

My commute is pretty severe. Anyone that has driven during rush hour in Austin TX knows what I am talking about.

Unfortunately I don't have time for a project, I'm getting tired of driving my toaster.

The later 911's (>996) are great cars to own and feel so competent as to almost be unexciting to drive at responsible speeds. They are also fairly easy to do routine maintenance on w/ easy access to filters, etc. Spark plugs, not so much, but thankfully you are not doing them that often. Parts prices are high as you'd expect, but maintenance items are reasonable for the car's market. They also age very well as Porsche used high quality components.

I would not write off 996's or early 997's solely due to the IMS issue. It is still rare event, but it is out there. If you find the right car and the IMS issue worries you, there are retrofits..just price it into your calculations.

My Wife has owned a '99 996 C2 for years and it has been almost completely painless, w/ an ignition switch, rear main seal and spark plug seals being the only significant items it has needed beyond routine maintenance. At ~50K the seats are just showing some character lines but that is about it for cosmetic wear. Absolutely no corrosion, the bolts in the engine compartment and under the body still have most of their plating, but ours has never seen salt.

I would not write off 996's or early 997's solely due to the IMS issue. It is still rare event, but it is out there. If you find the right car and the IMS issue worries you, there are retrofits..just price it into your calculations.We have not done the IMS but I probably will if she plans on keeping it another few years.

PS-saw you have kids, the 911 has narrow rear seats, the Recaro Pro-Booster just fits w/ the seat base removed. Good alternative to the $$$$ Porsche child seats.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
PS-saw you have kids, the 911 has narrow rear seats, the Recaro Pro-Booster just fits w/ the seat base removed. Good alternative to the $$$$ Porsche child seats.

I'd trust your comments...you have a lot of vehicles in your sig that enjoy being maintained!

I owned a few way back in the 70's, including a 914-6. They were great, and still are today. IMO a very high quality car.

But I have never seen so many owners in such a short time frame. Or as many cars with 50k miles with rear main seal replaced, etc. It certainly sets you back a bit!

My Porsche enthusiast track rats I hang with all over the country will tell you they are great cars. I agree with the caveat that you need to have a budget for some repair work, and buying a used one I would be very careful to hook up with a knowledgeable buyer like W&W above who knows what to look for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back