Used K&N Select S0-1008 cut open ...

Interesting, I'm sure the "racing" market probably buys these. It looks like a decent filter though. It's great to see the insides regardless of the quality so keep them coming.

SuperTech clone. Lots of Fram DNA too. Will Fram EGs morph into this design with eCore and metal end caps? Maybe.

Looks decent even if it's on the short side(low vol. sq.in.) 👍
Also looks like a combo of FRAM & CHAMP...a FRAMP. 🤪
As WhipCity mentioned, I his experience this K&N looks like a ST MP#

Last edited:
Typical current generation Champ Labs ecore oil filter, with a K&N label. First Brands has muddied the waters some with the AAP "Fram" Drive filter, also a Champ Labs made ecore similar to topic but with nitrile adbv. For the ST MP series price, a reasonable option, K&N price, meh. None of them will win any media area awards, but on a well-maintained engine should be fine.

Put one of these in my car (S0-2009) solely due to the massive inlet holes as compared the tiny holes on the Fram Ultra Xg3600. Engine tick upon startup disappeared. 👍🏻
Albeit I also switched from M1-0w-40 to M15w30 Ep HM at the same time. So don’t know if the oil or filter was causing the tick on cold starts.

Next oil change I’m going back to the Fl400s. The price gouging on the filters in the last 2 years has been insane….absolutely mental price hikes.

Put one of these in my car (S0-2009) solely due to the massive inlet holes as compared the tiny holes on the Fram Ultra Xg3600. Engine tick upon startup disappeared. 👍🏻
Albeit I also switched from M1-0w-40 to M15w30 Ep HM at the same time. So don’t know if the oil or filter was causing the tick on cold starts.
If the filter cured the cold start-up tick, it wasn't the bigger inlet holes - positive displacement oil pump gives same flow throgh both filters. The old filter probably had a leaky ADBV. Could have been the oil, as you mentioned. Hard to find the cause when more than one variable is changed.

Nice video. If you have any used filters you’d like to see cut open and posted PM me. I’ll gladly pay shipping
I have an M1-212A with a short mileage (~2700 miles) OCI over a roughly one year period. If you're interested, I could send it on if that offer is open to everyone here. I'd open it myself but don't have the correct tools.

WM was selling these a while ago in the PH7317 size for ~$4, believe it was an PS-1010 (?)-Ecore, silicone ADBV, synblend media, a pretty good filter at $4-ish. Not at $14! Bears a striking resemblance to the ST MP & Champ XL filters.

In addition to the excellent value you get with a Supertech is their total transparency of the filter performance you are getting for your money right on the SKU box. It is incredible to me why some filter brands do not provide this information. Unless of course if their products performance is not competitive for the price they are asking.

When Walmart had the special on the black K&N Selects, I emailed both K&N and Champ asking basic information on efficiency-got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from either of them. I’ll use the ones I have left, but won’t be buying any more. I’m not sure who owns K&N these days, but their so-called “performance” filters are anything but!

In addition to the excellent value you get with a Supertech is their total transparency of the filter performance you are getting for your money right on the SKU box. It is incredible to me why some filter brands do not provide this information. Unless of course if their products performance is not competitive for the price they are asking.
The ST MP line is literally exactly the same filter, for half the price or less!

Back