Used cars and additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that many here do not use additives (slick 50 and the like) other then perhaps a few choice ones (Marvel Myster Oil, FP, etc...). How does one buy a used automobile with confidence and know that additives haven't been used or is this even a concern? I would be really leary of a vehicle that used Slick 50. Does AutoRx "strip away" the effects of additives?

well, Id only buy a used car if it had all of the reciepts and records, and was preferably entirely dealer serviced... such cars exist, and sometimes you pay a premium, but IMO its worth it...

Maybe Im just talking from my butt, as the only used cars Id ever buy are over 10 years old... any daily driver type of commodity car id only buy new... but thats just me.

But Auto-RX in the engine and in the trans if it is an auto would be a good first move... Id then make sure that all other fluids are replaced with OE fluids... Id use OE coolant and OE ATF, and then amsoil diff oil if necessary.

If slick 50 was put in, and didnt yet destroy the engine, Id cease use, and run a bunch of oil changes (which would be done with ARX anyway) to clean it all out.

Of course d also check thuroughly the tires (people cn really scrimp sometimes), brakes and suspension... If all is well, then Id go on my way.

JMH

I would do a short OCI. If the car runs well, idles and accelerates smoothly, the additives would be less of an issue than a decent deal.

You might be able to buy the car contingent on a UOA. You can get them turned around pretty quickly.

I buy private party from nerdy people who don't really look into cars. I just check that the current fluids are relatively clean and full then when I get it home change most of them.

I am more worried about the previous owner doing boneheaded things like neutral slams and curb jumping.

I'm partial to cars with the stock stereo, or a tasteful deck with a harness adaptor and stock speakers. That's the first "mod" the punk kids do.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
well, Id only buy a used car if it had all of the reciepts and records, and was preferably entirely dealer serviced... such cars exist, and sometimes you pay a premium, but IMO its worth it...

JMH

LOL....

We hammer dealers on here for their sorry service for oil changes, brakes, alignments, etc.

But you WANT to buy a used car that has ONLY been serviced at the dealer.

Hmmmm....

I have a brother and some friends that still do and who used to work in dealer service departments. Oh the stories...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back