use Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 in diesel engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: nyumski
halo Bitog...

i use my car shown in my sig, it is diesel engine and yesterday i got low price shell helix ultra 5w40 in my area..

so i am asking can i use this oil in diesel engine? since it shows MB 229.5 and acea A3/B4...

can i use at least 10000 km? i usually reach that mileage in about 6 months

Why not look in your owners manual for the API/Acea specs ??

manual says minimal API CF...

this oil in pds tells API SN/CF and this is dual API rating, i am not sure about dual API rating since mostly use in gas engine, thats why i ask
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
doesn't that 2014 car hae a DPF?

if it doesn't have a DPF, you can use that oil without concern.

i am in asia, it is very rare using dpf here
laugh.gif

no dpf, no egr, no catalytic

Without a DPF etc you should be fine. In light duty diesels most people run a ACEA C3 oil, which is a low SAPS version of a A3/B4 oil. The low SAPS is only to protect the DPF.

You should be able to go 10,000 KM on a C3 oil, so a higher SAPS and higher TBN A3/B4 oil could go even further, say 15,000KM. It all depends on how much sulphur is in the fuel.

sulfur in diesel fuel in my area max 3500 ppm (lower grade diesel fuel) even top diesel fuel here only 500 ppm sulfur..

and i always use lower grade since the price is too high and my car commutes everyday.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Oddly enough I had a chat with Castrol R&D in the UK some years ago and they insist that a C3 is backwards compatible with an A3/B4 oil, BUT the Germans in Liqui Moly disagree and insist that is not true in a TDI. So I did a run with Castrol Edge 5w40 (C3) and it doubled all the wear metals, although the TBN was the same as Edge 5w40 (A3/B4), so that wear was not due to lack of detergents.

Really? I find Liqui Moly like to bend the rules more than most majors.

C3 today (ACEA-12) is technically "backwards compatible" where ACEA A3/B4-08 was required as C3-08 and A3/B4-08 could have identical formulations. That doesn't mean all C3's and A3/B4's will perform the same.

With such high sulfur, I'd be prudent in extending OCI.

Once again, SHU is one of the best (IMO) 5W40 oils available, but even the best oils can't do miracles with 3500ppm sulphur
smile.gif

10k km is doable even with your local fuel quality. Your van is common rail right? SHU is top quality A3/B4, should do fine with 10k oci. If you wish to go further look into ACEA Ex full SAPS oil. You can find oils with TBN of 16, and your car being without EGR/DPF there shouldn't be any problems using it. Depending on a oil pan size you could try 12-15k. UOA would come handy if possible.

Yes, in Europe we already have Ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) and Sulphur-free Petrol (10ppm) so with low/mid saps oils, 'longlife' OCI becomes very popular (usually 30k km - 18k miles or 2 years, what happens first) for German and French cars.

Originally Posted By: Popsy

Once again, SHU is one of the best (IMO) 5W40 oils available, but even the best oils can't do miracles with 3500ppm sulphur
smile.gif

oke thanks for the info....iam asking because there is promo price in my area and seems like this oil worth to try..

Originally Posted By: chrisri
10k km is doable even with your local fuel quality. Your van is common rail right? SHU is top quality A3/B4, should do fine with 10k oci. If you wish to go further look into ACEA Ex full SAPS oil. You can find oils with TBN of 16, and your car being without EGR/DPF there shouldn't be any problems using it. Depending on a oil pan size you could try 12-15k. UOA would come handy if possible.

yes it is common rail.

how about oil in my sig Q8 T800 10w40? can i use 10000 km?, it is HDEO and honestly, there is uncommon here to do UOA in here. so i guess wise move is to ask here..

Originally Posted By: dexos
Yes, in Europe we already have Ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) and Sulphur-free Petrol (10ppm) so with low/mid saps oils, 'longlife' OCI becomes very popular (usually 30k km - 18k miles or 2 years, what happens first) for German and French cars.

do you know oil in my sig? Q8 T800 10w40, it is from europe...how about this oil? can i use 10000 km?

Q8 T800 10w40 looks like a mid saps HDEO, low end but still with plenty of approvals.

It has a TBN of 12, quite similar to the SHU 5W40 TBN (~12,5 ? I can't seem to find reliable values)...can't tell about the OCI though.

smile.gif

OP,
Yes I agree with Popsy, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 A3/B4 is a great oil and given no DPF on your car it's very suitable for your application. If you can get it at a good price, then buy a few.

That is a lot of sulphur in your fuel, and as such I would keep the OCI to 10,000KM and not extend it too far on this oil.

Like others have said, a high SAPS & high TBN HDEO to go further.

Not sure what the issue with high Sulphur petrol is, BUT high Sulphur diesel only causes Sulphuric acid to form at low power settings. It does causes some extra ring and valve guide wear, in addition to exhaust valve seat issues in marine diesels, cos most marine diesel fuel is still high Sulphur.

At more moderate power settings the Sulphur forms Hydrogen Sulphide and that gas has no effect in engine wear terms. The Sulphuric acid only plays a minor role in increasing the acidity of the oil.

Last edited:

smile.gif

OP,
Yes I agree with Popsy, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 A3/B4 is a great oil and given no DPF on your car it's very suitable for your application. If you can get it at a good price, then buy a few.

That is a lot of sulphur in your fuel, and as such I would keep the OCI to 10,000KM and not extend it too far on this oil.

once someone commented before in this thread about SHU use GTL base, what is it exactly? i dont know...

quite cheap but i need to make sure the oil is origin not recycled oil (which is common here to cheat the costumer)

a high SAPS and TBN HDEO like Mobil 1 delvac 5w40, right? it also is sold here but the price is too [censored] high, cant reach except [censored] rich people

Last edited:
anyway guys do you the correlation between MB 228.x and 229.x? i mean is for example MB 228.5 is same with MB 229.5 or any knowledge?

as i know MB 228.x is for HDEO oil and MB 229.x for passenger oil

smile.gif

OP,

once someone commented before in this thread about SHU use GTL base, what is it exactly? i dont know...

quite cheap but i need to make sure the oil is origin not recycled oil (which is common here to cheat the costumer)

Hi Mate,

GTL means Gas To Liquid, it's a high quality full synthetic Group 3+ oil. It is NOT recycled oil.

Most oils (Group 1, 2 and 3) are refined from crude oil. The Group 3 oils are so heavily refined (hydrocracked) that they perform as a synthetic and are classed as synthetic by most of the world (except Germany and half of BITOG). Group 4 is PAO, and Group 5 is Esters and others.

Shell had a lot of natural gas, so rather than refine crude oil, it assembled natural gas into oil. A process that has a lot of detail, and I have not done justice to their chemistry. The take home message is that GTL base oil is Great Stuff, by some metrics better than the regular Group 3 synthetics, and so GTL is called Group3+ by some people. Shell (Pennzoil in America) call it PurePlus technology.

It's a high quality oil, nothing to be concerned about. I have used it myself.

[Shell PurePlus Link]

smile.gif

OP,

Hi Mate,

GTL means Gas To Liquid, it's a high quality full synthetic Group 3+ oil. It is NOT recycled oil.

Most oils (Group 1, 2 and 3) are refined from crude oil. The Group 3 oils are so heavily refined (hydrocracked) that they perform as a synthetic and are classed as synthetic by most of the world (except Germany and half of BITOG). Group 4 is PAO, and Group 5 is Esters and others.

Shell had a lot of natural gas, so rather than refine crude oil, it assembled natural gas into oil. A process that has a lot of detail, and I have not done justice to their chemistry. The take home message is that GTL base oil is Great Stuff, by some metrics better than the regular Group 3 synthetics, and so GTL is called Group3+ by some people. Shell (Pennzoil in America) call it PurePlus technology.

It's a high quality oil, nothing to be concerned about. I have used it myself.

[Shell PurePlus Link]

wow, thanks mate for the info, now i know..that's why i ask i thought GTL is the new kind of base beside PAO, ester and hydrocracked crude oil.

I can't speak for your specific engine, but I used Quaker State Ultimate Syn 5W-40 in a Ford 6.0 Powerstroke without issue in winter. I suspect that oil was close to Helix since it was the oil Ferrari used in the U.S. dealerships for a while (Quaker State, like Pennzoil, is a U.S. company owned by Shell and they badge their Helix products here as one of the two)...

yes it is common rail.

how about oil in my sig Q8 T800 10w40? can i use 10000 km?, it is HDEO and honestly, there is uncommon here to do UOA in here. so i guess wise move is to ask here..

If you can get your hands on Shell Helix Ultra, and are sure of oils origin don't look any further. 10k with the SHU and a decent filter (preferably OEM) and your engine will live long and happy life. Make sure you do not neglect air filter, depending on dust in the air.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I can't speak for your specific engine, but I used Quaker State Ultimate Syn 5W-40 in a Ford 6.0 Powerstroke without issue in winter. I suspect that oil was close to Helix since it was the oil Ferrari used in the U.S. dealerships for a while (Quaker State, like Pennzoil, is a U.S. company owned by Shell and they badge their Helix products here as one of the two)...

hallo Nickdfresh, hmm that kind of oil you mentioned before, Quaker State Ultimate Syn 5W-40, it is never sold here. i wish i could have more options of oil in my place. hmm you mean rebadge the oil? interesting.

yes it is common rail.

If you can get your hands on Shell Helix Ultra, and are sure of oils origin don't look any further. 10k with the SHU and a decent filter (preferably OEM) and your engine will live long and happy life. Make sure you do not neglect air filter, depending on dust in the air.

thanks mate...i am still using paper filter since i've tried using knn but in 5000 km, the dust is so thick, i decide to change back to paper..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back