Use loctite when it is not called for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had to remove the rear differential in one of my cars to replace a bushing. It is IRS, so a differential with flanges w/ 6 bolts each for all rotating connections. I was considering using blue loctite on all the bolts, for an additional safety margin over the 82-130lb/ft (depending on the bolt) torque spec.

To get the differential out, I also had to remove the rear sway bar, the exhaust pipes and muffler, drop the driveshaft center support bearing, etc. I was considering using blue loctite in all these positions.

Would it be a bad idea to use loctite? My concerns are the loctite possibly acting as lube and causing overtorque, or preventing disassembly. Some of the OE 82 ft/lb bolts required heroic measures to remove - but they have been in place for 10 years.

I think id pass, torque it back to spec when reassembling unless the manual calls for sticky stuff id just leave it in the toolbox.

I sometimes use purple thread locker for stuff like that.

5119E46WD9L._SY450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24024-Strength-Threadlocker-Purple/dp/B000HBGHFY/

I'd rather use copper grease on the threads. the bolts won't come loose if torqued properly, but you can be sure they come undone if you put a wrench on them...

when i installed my swaybar (aftermarket) the instructions did indicate to use blue loctite on the bushing bracket bolts to ensure they didn't come out.

I suppose the company suspected that the disassembly and reassembly of those bolt introduced some play into the fastener which made it more vulnerable from shock loosening as compared to factory.

In my experience using blue loctite around the house: like screws in the doorknobs that kept loosening, it's doesn't incredibly change the connection.
Blue is almost just like a hard wax, just helps keeps things together that would otherwise vibrate out.
As for future problems, the biggest part would be remembering to clean up the residue if you need to get at it again.

I hope though these are areas that you don't need to dissassemble too often.

In Florida rust may not be much of an issue. Many people use anti-seize to keep joints from rusting together. Blue loc-tite is popular in the West on 4x4 vehicles because it helps with things vibrating loose on all the unpaved roads and also helps with rust and corrosion. On something like through bolts of bushings, coat the sleeves with anti seize to prevent the bushings from rusting to the through bolt.

Yes, they are all replacement bolts (and nuts where applicable). I'll probably skip the loctite on all the heavy stuff.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I think id pass, torque it back to spec when reassembling unless the manual calls for sticky stuff id just leave it in the toolbox.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back