Ford Two-Piece Driveshaft Fix (Clunking)

Seemingly this is a problem that has been going on with Ford for many years. I very clearly remember my friend's 2004 F150 exhibiting the same thing as my 2020 Ranger has been doing, so I don't believe this is a new problem. Why Ford doesn't have their sub-contractor fix the problem is beyond me, but here we are.

Problem manifests itself as a clunk from the rear of the truck when coming to a stop and taking off.

The cause is (Usually) the splines in the middle of the 2 piece driveshaft binding up and breaking loose as the rear suspension compresses and extends..

The fix is a kit that Ford sells which consists of a 'special' lube and a new clamp to secure the boot. I have heard that the lube contains PTFE, and judging by the color, it may. Didn't spend a lot of time playing with it and was wearing gloves, so that is my not so scientific take on it.

Tools needed: 15mm wrenches, side cutter(or appropriate clamp crimping tool), flathead screwdriver, cleaning rags.

Part#: 9L3Z-4W602-A (https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Drive-Repair-Number-9L3Z4W602A/dp/B00TNEPNEC) Amazon link posted because they have a good picture of the 'kit'.

Mark your driveshaft before you pull it off so it goes back on in the same relation front and rear (Although I think my Ranger shaft is keyed so you can only put it back together one way, could be wrong, seemed like it and I didn't pay super close attention.) Don't use brake cleaner as a lot of the yokes have a special coating on them, I guess that was their attempt at solving the problem, but there is still grease in there, albeit a super minor amount.

Be prepared to heat the differential flange bolts. Ford is using some really nasty locktite that makes you think the bolt is galled and about to break off. The factory service manual calls these 'one time use' bolts....I reused mine after wire brush cleaning and new blue loctite. The new clamp can be done with a pair of side cutters if that is all you have.

Problem solved for now. I have no illusion that it will last the life of the vehicle and I suspect I'll need to do it again in the future.

And no, I didn't take it to the dealer. It took me under an hour to do this and that is not worth me driving to the dealer or waiting for an appointment and then dropping the truck off, etc etc.

**EDIT**

Sure enough, their special lube:

"
  • For use with driveshaft slip yokes; especially where grunt-type noise is experienced"

Last edited:
My nearby friendly Ford dealer quoted me $45 for that lube. I got it online for $12.

I have the same "bump" upon take off. I feel it's too soft to be called a clunk.
SURPRISE, I have the one piece driveshaft on an '05 Ranger. I'll apply this lube to the spline at the forward yoke anyway.
Photos I've seen show the male spline having a coating with a pale bluish coloration. So it'll be an inspection, cleaning and lube.

Yep, even in 2020 they still have the blue stuff on them. Feels quite plastic like. Wouldn't want to hit it with brake clean, who knows what damage that might do.

Somebody on one of the truck boards warned against using brake clean....good to mention.
I'll Q-Tip the splines
Shouldn't need to get that precise. A simple terry cloth towel was able to get into the splines well enough to get 99% of the old grease out.

Back