Use Liqui Moly MOS and Moly together??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings Everyone:

Its that time of year again to change the oil in my Duratec V-6 Ford Escape. I currently run Liqui Moly MOS in the sump and the leak is near zero, so I will be adding it to the sump again this oil change. I run the LM anti friction moly additive in the van. Mileage has gone up a tad but I think it runs better. Should I add a can of it to the Escape? This would give me both MOS and the friction modifier in the oil at the same time.

Will running both additives be overkill or un-necessary? Will it benefit, or detract, from the performance of either additive in any way? The Escape runs 5K per year and is on a 12 month OCI. Its got 168,xxx on the clock.

TIA for your input.

I'm not a fan of oil additives in anything. so I pretty much will say don't do it. Also I'm pretty sure by adding something without all the other additives will only boost up the one and actually dilute the rest. I destroyed an 89 Mazda mpv 3litre v6 with Lucas when I was younger so I stay away from all oil additives. I'd just use a great quality syn like pp and call it a day. which can be had for very cheap. That's my opinion only but the final choice is obviously yours.

If some is good, more must be better and too much is just right........That is the 'Merican way, right up until you bust something.

Lubrication engineers/Tribologists go to school and get paid good money to brew up what comes in the bottle from the store. Why do you think you can out guess them?

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
If some is good, more must be better and too much is just right........That is the 'Merican way, right up until you bust something.

Lubrication engineers/Tribologists go to school and get paid good money to brew up what comes in the bottle from the store. Why do you think you can out guess them?

Well, because oil blenders a) blend to a price point and b) don't typically blend oils to solve problems like seals that have lost elasticity. Molybdenum is beneficial but expensive, so is used sparingly by blenders. Esters are expensive too, but are good at reconditioning seals.

So, while I agree additives are usually not needed and should be used with care, they can be useful, especially when from a company with a great reputation like Liqui Moly. If I were the OP I'd continue with the Oil Saver but avoid the Moly treatment just to be on the safe side.

Originally Posted By: Danh

Well, because oil blenders a) blend to a price point and b) don't typically blend oils to solve problems like seals that have lost elasticity. Molybdenum is beneficial but expensive, so is used sparingly by blenders. Esters are expensive too, but are good at reconditioning seals.

So, while I agree additives are usually not needed and should be used with care, they can be useful, especially when from a company with a great reputation like Liqui Moly. If I were the OP I'd continue with the Oil Saver but avoid the Moly treatment just to be on the safe side.

Agreed. PROFIT, at the end of the day that's what being in business is all about. Oil companies are in it for profit, our best interests aren't what motivates them. Having said all that, there's a handful of additives i'll use from time to time. I sometimes use Lubegard-Bio-EP instead of the solid moly add from LM. I have a couple of three fav engine cleaning products for project cars do I from time to time.-RD

My response was to the OP (Apparently) doubling down on the moly. Thus, "Too much is just right".

For a specific issue, I get the use of an additive. But to add the same additive to a product that is already loaded with it......Well, too much is just right.

I like a few select additives but using more than one at once may not be prudent. Ask Liqui Moly as another poster suggested and see what they say. They have been very responsive to emails in the past.

Well, because oil blenders a) blend to a price point

Oil is blended to meet specs it needs to meet. An oil additive doesn't meet any specs. And the end user has no way of knowing how it will react with add packs in motor oil.

I have used Motor Oil Saver and MoS2 together in the past after consulting an Application Engineer at LM. No problems - only reason I stopped was because I switched to Ceratec.

i will be using the products together in a couple of weeks. right now i have the MOS in my oil.

i found this on the liqui moly website:

"Can two oil or fuel additives be used simultaneously?
Yes, our additives have been formulated so they have no detrimental effect on each other or the mixture as a whole"

http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/web.nsf/id/pa_usa_faq.html

post back if you talk or email with them.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I have used Motor Oil Saver and MoS2 together in the past after consulting an Application Engineer at LM. No problems - only reason I stopped was because I switched to Ceratec.

What measured results did you see with MOS and MoS2, and what have you seen with Ceratec? By measured , read UOA or other lab analysis.

I am currently using Ceratec, but have <200 miles since last OCI

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
i will be using the products together in a couple of weeks. right now i have the MOS in my oil.

i found this on the liqui moly website:

"Can two oil or fuel additives be used simultaneously?
Yes, our additives have been formulated so they have no detrimental effect on each other or the mixture as a whole"

http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/web.nsf/id/pa_usa_faq.html

post back if you talk or email with them.

I had a few email exchanges with them about a year or so ago and they advised not using Ceratec, and MoS2 at the same time. The guy who replied suggested starting off with Ceratec, and then at the next oil and filter swap switching to MoS2. I remember reading a few other members saying that too, and some conflicting reports. I guess it depends who responds from LM. I wouldn't stack them, I'd use one at a time if I used them at all. My $.02 fwiw-RD

Just curious, at what % would you use each product? Full suggested dose for each individual product, or a half dose of each?

i'm going to do a full dose of each of the MOS and MOS2, unless if I notice some tremendous mileage improvements with the MOS alone, which i doubt, but i wanted to test that first. my car does have a small oil leak that appears to be coming from the oil pan gasket and I will see if the MOS has any affect on it. the leak is not big enough to notice any loss on the dip stick.

Last edited:
i'm going to do a full dose of each of the MOS and MOS2, unless if I notice some tremendous mileage improvements with the MOS alone, which i doubt, but i wanted to test that first. my car does have a small oil leak that appears to be coming from the oil pan gasket and I will see if the MOS has any affect on it. the leak is not big enough to notice any loss on the dip stick.

Do you plan on adding a full dose of both products at the same time? I emailed them too, and they told me not to use both products at the same time as someone else already mentioned.

i was planning to do both mos and mos2, but not the ceratec, i don't have any of that,

That should be fine, they didn't want Ceratec and MoS2 in the sump at the same time.

I'm using Mos2 with valvoline synpower 0w-20 in our 08 Jeep Liberty right now.

Before that it had maxlife with Ceratec.

I'm happy,engine is very quiet and responsive.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
I'm using Mos2 with valvoline synpower 0w-20 in our 08 Jeep Liberty right now.

Before that it had maxlife with Ceratec.

I'm happy,engine is very quiet and responsive.

123Saab - did you do a UOA with the Ceratec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back