USAF - C17

Friend of mine is a C-17 Loadmaster out of Charlotte
RVW,

Thanks... I stopped working in Air Operations in 2004, at that time only Charleston and McCord had the C17. None based at other bases. Doing some google searches, the C17 bases have grown to other bases, and OOA 2010 started to be based with Air National Guard units, to include Charlotte.

I used to Joint Airborne Transportability Training (JAAT) aircraft for Army airborne operations, the only place at the time to JAAT C17s were Charleston and McCord). And I had to beg to get them...... no air force pilot wanted to come to Ft Bragg (Pope AFB).... especially when they could be working a air show, etc....

No Air Force pilots wanted to come to Fayetteville. So often their plane would break enroute..... but never seem to break when it was time to depart Pope..... Maybe Astro can better explain ( I know he was a Navy Aviator but I sense the unwritten pilot protocols are similar).

BTW- the number one place in the world for a US Airforce Cargo jet to be deadlined....... Spain...... seemed like a nice place to be deadlined and forced to spend 24 hours.... Many USAF cargo aircraft returning to CONUS stopped in Spain to refuel..... and somehow the cargo aircraft had a problem that it could not continue the mission.

Times change....I failed to keep up with the changes.

Last edited:
RVW,

Thanks... I quit working in Air Operations in 2004, at that time only Charleston and McCord had the C17. None based at other bases. Doing some google searches, the C17 bases have grown to other bases, and OOA 2010 started to be based with Air National Guard units, to include Charlotte.

Times change....I failed to keep up with the changes.

The first time I'd ever seen a C-17 was at the 1997 Edwards AFB Open House. I think it was fairly new back then and there weren't quite that many in service. This doesn't have everything I remember, including a glider demonstration by a recent AFA graduate as a tribute to John Denver. I seem to recall they played Rocky Mountain High.

SELECTED AIR SHOW EVENTS*​
10 a.m.: Chuck Yeager sonic-boom flight​
10:30 a.m.: Army Golden Knights parachute demonstration (Oct. 18)​
10:30 a.m.: U.S. Air Force Academy Wings of Blue parachute demonstration (Oct. 19)​
11 a.m.: C-17 low-velocity air drop
11:35 a.m.: F-117 Stealth fighters formation​
1 p.m.: T-38 Talon, F-15 Strike Eagle, F-16 Fighting Falcon aerial review​
1:15 p.m.: C-130 Hercules, C-141 Starlifter, C-17 Globemaster aerial review
1:20 p.m.: SR-71 Blackbird Mach 3 pass; Air Force Flight Test Center aerial review​
1:55 p.m.: SR-71 Blackbird low-altitude pattern and landing​
2:20 p.m.: B-2 Spirit Stealth bomber pass​
2:35 p.m.: WWII P-51 Mustangs formation flight and demonstration​
3 p.m.: USAF Thunderbirds aerial demonstration team​
3:30 p.m.: USAF Thunderbirds flying F-16 Fighting Falcons​

The production line for the C-17 was closed in 2015, which seems truly unfortunate as all kind of other uses are being found for this platform and the world situation has evolved. I realize there is always competition for defense dollars, but keeping some production lines “hot”, even if on limited production basis, would be prudent.

Shutting the F-22 line way early was a mistake in hindsight, but the F-15 line is still operating thanks to foreign sales and has suddenly become useful to the USAF again.

The production line for the C-17 was closed in 2015, which seems truly unfortunate as all kind of other uses are being found for this platform and the world situation has evolved. I realize there is always competition for defense dollars, but keeping some production lines “hot”, even if on limited production basis, would be prudent.

Shutting the F-22 line way early was a mistake in hindsight, but the F-15 line is still operating thanks to foreign sales and has suddenly become useful to the USAF again.

The factory site in Long Beach has been sold so there's no going back there.

Jesus tits, what rocks have you and him been living under? Bae has been around since the mid-late 2000s. Sheez.
Well I left the military in 1967 and have been living above rocks since 1946.
My hip-slang education ended with “Mary-Jane” and Groovy”
Everything including and past “Dude” is foreign to me.

Well I left the military in 1967 and have been living above rocks since 1946.
My hip-slang education ended with “Mary-Jane” and Groovy”
Everything including and past “Dude” is foreign to me.
Eesh. Need to get hip, ole man. ;)

Back