USA is still the world's leading manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30229507/?GT1=43001

Another reason is the fact that there is a kernel of truth in some of the naysayers' claims. Some of our factories are outdated; but many are among the most modern in the world. Wage and legacy costs — retiree health benefits, for example — have made some companies less competitive. By the same token, U.S. multinationals are generally among the most productive and innovative in the world. And, yes, U.S. companies have ceded production of men's dress shirts that retail for $12, microwave ovens that retail for $69, and boom boxes that retail for less than half that price to low-cost developing countries.

But the U.S. leads the world in many high-value fields, producing more than half of the $175 billion in health care technology products purchased worldwide each year, for example. The U.S. also ranks as the world's largest producer of chemicals, selling 11 percent of the global total. And, as the AP reported, we "sold more than $200 billion worth of aircraft, missiles, and space-related equipment in 2007."

In fact, even in the midst of a global recession, the U.S. exported an estimated $1.377 trillion worth of goods last year, according to the authoritative CIA World Factbook. Nearly half of the exports were capital goods: aircraft, computers, electric power machinery, office machines, telecommunications equipment, and the like. Industrial supplies, such as organic chemicals, accounted for another nearly 27 percent. And consumer goods, including pharmaceuticals, and agricultural products accounted for 15 percent and 9 percent, respectively.

A third reason for our collective funk (and there are certainly other reasons) may be the nostalgia factor, particularly prevalent among the baby boomers: the fact that much of what was "Made in America" in the past — think clothing, radios, televisions, telephones, sewing machines, toys, tools, housewares, small appliances, baby furniture, bicycles, even the legendary Oldsmobile "Rocket 88" that was so much a part of the America in which many baby boomers came of age — isn't made here anymore. (The Rocket 88, in fact, isn't made at all.) Seeing so many iconic Made in America brands disappear seemingly overnight has caused pain and anxiety for many Americans.

Our cars are not in demand around the world and our net exports have been declining. But, yeah, we make great bombs. Is something out of place here?

I just read where Delta Airlines as well as other companies are dismantling their offshore call centers i.e. India, and bringing their call centers back to USA. Mainly due to customer complaints.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I just read where Delta Airlines as well as other companies are dismantling their offshore call centers i.e. India, and bringing their call centers back to USA. Mainly due to customer complaints.

and the rising Indian salary. They used to cost 1/4 of US, then becomes 1/3 a few years ago, and now they are about 1/2 of US salary.

We are still very active in manufacturing, just not on the low end, low cost, low profit stuff. Japan and China are pretty good at those, but not the high end stuff.

There is a reason many of the American companies, like IBM, switch to R&D and license the result to the foreigners, so they can build it cheap.

The product I make is shipped out of the country after about 95% of the manufacture and purification is done. It is then packaged in Switzerland because of the tax advantage of doing so.

It's kind of a complicated world.

The place I used to work at made premium products that were about 90% US parts (tough to find US made electronics) then shipped them all over the world. About 30% of sales were export.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Indeed it is. I have shipped to Switzerland, Bulgaria, Chile, Israel, Australia, Singapore, Czech, Spain, Argentina, etc....strangely never Germany!

Indeed but is your product taxed as being manufactured in those countries? Most of the manufacture is done here. Then it goes out of the country because the tax structure is more favorable. It is packaged in Switzerland so that is where the tax is paid. Not here.

I've had the pleasure of touring state representative at our facility. They are agast upon hearing this.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Indeed it is. I have shipped to Switzerland, Bulgaria, Chile, Israel, Australia, Singapore, Czech, Spain, Argentina, etc....strangely never Germany!

It's almost like someone warned the Germans!
LOL.gif

Actually, all motorized vehicles have to be approved by the TÜV, if they are going to be used on public streets. That would be the biggest hurdle. Only a manufacturer can afford the required tests and approvals.

All motorized vehicles also have to be registered and insured, and a driving permit is required. Then there is the embarrassment of riding a contraption like that. MOFAs are for lazy 15 year olds who should be cycling. Anybody older rides a scooter or a K 80, or a real motorcycle.

Originally Posted By: mormit
The product I make is shipped out of the country after about 95% of the manufacture and purification is done. It is then packaged in Switzerland because of the tax advantage of doing so.

It's kind of a complicated world.

A drug?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

A drug?

Yep. An important one not a got wood pill. I shouldn't knock that stuff though.

Put it this way. There are no commercials with people in tubs or on bikes talking about side effects like rashes and heart palpatations and such. It's just prescribed by doctors without that extra stuff. Helps people and I'm happy with that. Still taxed out of the country.

Last edited:
The law abiding Germans are missing out on all the fun!

Originally Posted By: mori
Only a manufacturer can afford the required tests and approvals.

I think you left out the word LARGE, big money, or corrupt!
LOL.gif

Embarrassment? Contraption? Lazy? Mori's on a roll.
crackmeup2.gif

I would have liked that in the "free trade" agreements that the US would have accepted Oz steel, but they only agreed to Iron ore.

Why would you ship ore, which is largely dirt and oxygen, rather than save the shipping costs and buy steel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back