Urgent need security camera suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The riff raff has been migrating towards my neighborhood and recently we have had a rash of car break-ins. Multiple people have come out to windshields/side windows busted out but nothing stolen, people who have left their cars unlocked have had their cars rummaged through, but last night they got really bold.. someone threw a brick through my neighbor's car window, took the garage door opener off the visor, opened the garage door, helped themselves to the contents of the garage fridge, and did the same thing at another house, and around 3:30 am this morning.

I want to install a security camera up at my porch pointing out towards the street and one on the side of the house. I'd like something I could monitor from my phone and be able to go back and view recordings on. I would prefer a wireless camera or one with an SD card slot where the only thing I'd need to run is power. Currently I have 2 motion activated dash cams in my car and a deer camera strapped to the tree in my front yard but obviously something more dedicated would be better.

A few examples I have found so far include these:
https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Conico-Surveillance-Detection-Connection/dp/B082SRFZGC
https://www.amazon.com/Security-Surveillance-Waterproof-Detection-Deterrent/dp/B07Z3BZF35

I have also done some research on the Bunker Hill cameras from HFT because I have a few different coupons for there too.

What kind of cameras are you guys using here?

If you're so concerned about the situation, invest some more $$$ into that.
I use Ring floodlight camera with lots of sensors, works great day and night
https://shop.ring.com/products/floodlight-cam?variant=56549563083
If you have costco, they put this camera on sale every once in a while, I've got it for $189
https://www.costco.com/ring-floodlight-camera-with-bonus-chime-pro.product.100494012.html

Also, think about buying a good door deadbolt, 99% of the bolts people use are crap. Take a look at a mul-t-lock branded one https://www.amazon.com/Mul-T-Lock-Dead-Bolt-Adjustable-Commercial-Residential/dp/B07XD7HQQ5

Last edited:
If you have a windows pc always on or know how to do linux, check out the unifi line from ubiquity. ubnt.com.

No subscriptions, and as long as your internet is 2 mbps upload it will work perfect on the mobil app with your recordings being stored on your pc.

Tip: Locate the pc in a safe place.

Your neighborhood problem is unfortunate, but with the drug problem today, it could happen anywhere.

I tell people, if you park outside, bring the garage-door Remote Control in with you.
A lot of home security is common sense.

Protect your property from 'opportunistic criminals.

Get something with better resolution than convenience store/gas station security cameras
27.gif

i have the harbor freight one...the wired system , I just never hooked it up to record but i'm sure it can be done...at least they say it can..had it over a year now and works great

Stay away from amcrest.
My wife bought me a 960h from them and three of the 4 cameras malfunctioned within a week. One is stuck on IR mode so the image is always displays black and white. Another won't go into IR mode so it doesn't see in the dark. The third never worked out of the box but I received this in the midst of a major remodel and didn't install till the warranty was up. I've tried buying replacement cameras but they will not jive with the dvr unit.
The customer service is horrible. Heavy accents and broken English. You describe your issue, they read a prompt and declare "this will solve your issue, Goodbye" click. Then you call back and get the same thing from a different person.

Arlo Pro 2 from Costco.

The camera batteries last 6 months and recharge quickly. Furthermore, the camera has a strong magnet on the back and a flat bottom, so it can "stick" to any ferrous material or sit on any surface, so they are easy to move around.

They alert my phone when anything enters the camera's view.

I second the Ring Floodlight cam at Costco. Picture/video is clear day or night and the trigger zone/s can be customized to specific areas so you don't get a bunch of false hits like wind/tree movement etc. The videos can be seen on a smartphone with realtime view and 2way talk. Along with that you can post the footage to their neighborhood watch in the app that captures events to a map of your area.

You might want to consider Amazon Blink motion sensing WiFi cameras.

Very easy to set-up and use. Runs on 2 AA batteries. Works great for me.

Last edited:
My in-laws have had a pair of Arlo cameras for a while now, and they seem to work well. As Cujet said, they don't need any wiring at all, with the only trade-off being the need to charge them periodically.

My Father in law uses the Arlo cameras and has had good service from them.

I live on a 5 acre private lot out in the sticks and still would never consider leaving a transmitter for my garage door in the car, or programming Homelink in a vehicle that spends the night outside. Just aiding petty theft or home invasion in my opinion.

I have had several security cameras for a couple of years now. They work fine. All you will see on the videos is the thieves in hoodies and masks committing their crimes. Their knowing that you have cameras won't deter them one bit. Around here, the police might respond to your call within 24 hours if you are lucky, sometimes not at all. The police don't even want to see the videos (unless there is a murder).
The only way to stop them is knowing that they are there, going outside, and killing them. I have a neighbor down the block that did just that (after being burglarized a half dozen times). We have the absolute right to do this in Texas. Yes, it is getting that bad. Make sure that you kill the burglar dead though, otherwise he might sue you. Also, don't confront the criminal unless you have a gun and intend to use it.

Originally Posted by Jim_Truett

I live on a 5 acre private lot out in the sticks and still would never consider leaving a transmitter for my garage door in the car, or programming Homelink in a vehicle that spends the night outside. Just aiding petty theft or home invasion in my opinion.

That's one of the reasons I have mine set up with MyQ. No need for garage door remotes when I can open and close the door from my phone.

camera's will do nothing to deter these people. you will have a lovely collection of theft videos though. The police don't care about property crimes.

I have a Swann PVR system with 2 wireless cameras. Runs high def with night vision. resolution is decent in the end. The cameras are wireless to the PVR which can be accessed from your phone over the internet. I got the cameras that are wired to their power source so that they work all the time and all temps. So far I am pretty happy and will be expanding out to 4 cameras in the near future. I spend maybe 300$... on it, just cannot remember.

I bought a wyze camera with 32 gb card from Home Depot. It was like $29. It records to the card and can do the same to the cloud. Doesn't always work to alert you, but that might not be the end of the world if just trying to run back through surveillance, and you set it to continuously record locally.

It's a fun toy for $29.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back