Upgrading to a more efficient truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new truck will cost you a LOT more than the old truck. No savings to be had.
ON top of the much higher cost, You have sales and excise tax plus an insurance hike.
Or are you taking used, but new to you?

Your post reads like you don't like your current truck anymore. Maybe get the rear spring services and
a good tune up. But I would guess that 4 banger and a 4AT is a soggy combo.
Taco are almost tolerable with a MT but not with an AT.

Whacha haulin in that thing, by the way ?
I know when I put a load in my old ranger, that was it for the rear springs after just one dump run.
and it wasn't a killer load either. Garbage springs from the factory.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

What are you hauling that's so heavy? With the $30k you'll save on the purchase, rent something every once in a while to haul it if the Maverick really can't.

I’ve tried the rental method prior to getting the Tacoma. Not as convenient as it sounds on paper. While I didn’t have a Maverick I had a NV200 cargo van a few years back. Nice efficient work vehicle that can haul. But that fell apart after about 40k miles of use. It just wasn’t situated for the weight I carry.

and I don’t carry it enough to justify driving around a 3/4 all the time so I need to compromise between something that’s capable yet still efficient when unloaded

Isn't a Lightning an over $50K truck? I doub't you could find even a stripped stick no a/c Ranger for $24K.

with the Tacoma trade factored in. Lightning Pro Extended range should run just about 51k, plus a tow package or something puts it in the low 50k range. My Tacoma is still low mileage and I’ve been quoted 25-26k on trade at the moment. The other trucks mentioned run about the same price.

In your first post you implied you maybe bent something in the Taco after a couple of "max weight loads". Is this loaded to the stated payload or, say, as many paver blocks that would fit in the bed and overloading it? Hard to imagine you could bend it unless you were on the bumpstops and hit potholes. The same could happen with a 1/2 ton if you use the fill it full theory.

As has been said, if you want/need a different truck get it but the ROI is way out there and not really a valid reason. Enjoy whatever you get. (y)

If you are trying to save money based on 12k/yr driving, probably not going to happen.

I have no intentions to save money with the purchase...because the difference I’m paying for a new truck can buy ALOT of gas for the Tacoma.

but if I can get more towing/payload while not having to pay so much at the pump, it’ll be worth the difference.

im also toying the idea of selling my vette for a hybrid sedan, using that as a daily and only the Tacoma when I need it.

with the Tacoma trade factored in. Lightning Pro Extended range should run just about 51k, plus a tow package or something puts it in the low 50k range. My Tacoma is still low mileage and I’ve been quoted 25-26k on trade at the moment. The other trucks mentioned run about the same price.
OK you didn't mention trading it in. With the crazy prices the Tacos bring as trades now, it sounds like a good idea that may be too good to pass up.

In your first post you implied you maybe bent something in the Taco after a couple of "max weight loads". Is this loaded to the stated payload or, say, as many paver blocks that would fit in the bed and overloading it? Hard to imagine you could bend it unless you were on the bumpstops and hit potholes. The same could happen with a 1/2 ton if you use the fill it full theory.

As has been said, if you want/need a different truck get it but the ROI is way out there and not really a valid reason. Enjoy whatever you get. (y)

it’s been overloaded 4 times. Payload is 1500lb, I’ve had 2300 in the bed twice, and the other two times 2000 in the bed with 3000 on the trailer behind it. That’s just about what a 1/2 ton could handle. I’ve had it down to the bump stops, and frankly it’s disappointing how quick it’ll sag down - especially now.

I don’t think the frame is tweaked but rather the leaf springs are overused. They look pretty flat compared to how I remembered them when I first got it.

If you love the size of the tacoma and you mention hauling some max weight loads what is the consideration of the diesel Colorado? I havn't looked at payload or tow ratings for that but it would seem to be comparable size wise and not bow out on mpg carrying a load. You say you like the tacoma for the simplicity and reliability but everything breaks faster when it is driven toward its limits constantly. A better suited truck will likely age better within its limits than the best of them outside of theirs.

now that you mention it, I’ll look into the other mid sized trucks. I believe payload is about the same 1500lb, maybe a little less due to the diesel weighting more. But towing is absolutely spot on for what I need it for.

Whacha haulin in that thing, by the way ?
I know when I put a load in my old ranger, that was it for the rear springs after just one dump run.
and it wasn't a killer load either. Garbage springs from the factory.

concrete, soil, gravel is what’s putting the bed on the ground. I wonder if rear bags or timbrens will help.

Last edited:
i have a 2013 2.7l AUTO trans. (4 speed) im getting average 20-20.5 MPGs with a low of 19 mpgs winter, its all stock with OEM p 245/75/16 tires, i drive it with getting the max mileage out of a tank of gas. if you want a gas miser any truck/SUV wont be the vehicle you want to buy. dont blame the vehicle, blame the cost of a gallon of gas, this time last year i could fill the tank for $33 now its $52 a tank.

One ton load in a 1/2 ton truck with more behind it. I would guess that's pushing it!
If it was a stick, I get a garage to box the frame get the spring re- arched and a helper installed.
Might get that done under 900 bucks if you hit the right guy. Just rattle can the frame with rustoleum.zinc then
rustoleum low gloss paint over that

I couldn't tolerate the 4 speed AT. But AT's are better for load hauling. IMO.

You do landscaping?

My current truck is a 2018 Tacoma 2.7 6AT 4wd. I average 14.5 mpg winter, 17 summer(hand calculated) It’s not bad for a truck...but IMO seems abit low for a 4 banger that has no power. I’d be happy if I was closer to 20 mpg but it’s just not possible when keeping up with traffic.

I placed a reservation on the new F150 lightning, but there are a few drawbacks so I looked into both the F150 PowerBoost Hybrid and Chevy half-ton Duramax 3.0 to see what their fuel costs are.

Currently
87 Octane $3.19/gal
Diesel $3.48/gal
I’ve been driving my other car lately and haven’t kept track of my monthly mileage. But I figure it’s about 1000/mo give or take.

Tacoma - 20 gallon tank - 280-330 miles per tank - roughly 17-18 gallons per fill up runs $60 each. Assuming I can feather the gas pedal and get 330 miles per tank, it’s at least $180/mo

F150 Hybrid - 36 gallon tank - fill up 33 gallons is equivalent to 800 miles per tank(estimated 24 mpg combined) - would be $105. To make it a complete 1000 miles figure another $30 which puts at $135 a month.

Silverado Duramax 3.0 - 22 gallon tank - fill up 19 gallons is equivalent to 494 miles(estimated 26 mpg combined) - $65 per fill up. 2x that for 1000 miles and it’s about $135/mo also

F150 Lightning extended range - no exact specs on the battery but I assume $10 per charge($0.04 per mile) 4 charges per month(250 miles). $40/mo? Is that too optimistic?

Am I doing the math right?

I don’t hate my Tacoma. It’s the perfect size, just wish it had higher payload/towing capacity or better MPG for how little power it has. And I know those numbers for the hybrid/diesel are just estimates compared to my Tacoma’s real world numbers. I’d assume the cost gap would be smaller in the real world.

ideally I want half ton capability with mid sized fuel economy. The new Maverick hybrid is great on paper but id probably snap it in half pretty quickly. My Tacoma is already starting to drive a little weird after hauling a few max weight loads.
Sounds like you should have gotten a Honda Ridgeline. I'm averaging 23 mpg overall (Hand Calculated) with close to 30 mpg on the highway in the summer on a relatively level drive. The payload is 1500 lbs and can tow up to 5000 lbs although if you listen to the forums, max towing will cause transmission problems. The V6 is rated @ 280 HP. Plenty of power and fuel economy to boot! The only problem you would have is trying to find one. The new ones are scarce right now (as almost all trucks are)

Just a suggestion. :eek:)

...dont blame the vehicle, blame the cost of a gallon of gas, this time last year i could fill the tank for $33 now its $52 a tank and constantly rising and the value of a dollar is getting less for all other essential goods, also if you voted for the present ADMIN. then blame yourself.
I will blame the epidemic and those extending it selfishly. Its hard for the whole economy to switch gears in a snap.

You know what you want so go and get it. Depreciation factors didn't work in 2020-2021 did they?

I had a turd 20 months ago that all the dealers only wanted to give me $6-$7k for.

Sold it last month for $13k.
Now is the time to sell and trading it in may not be the best deal for you.
You need to do the math.

Depreciation costs significantly more than fuel costs. Buying a new vehicle to save on fuel costs is a false economy. Spending $50k to save $100/month just doesn’t make sense.
only thing Toyota tacomas really hold thier value, if the OP wants to retain a truck he should keep what he has, the new Domestic EV or non-EV trucks have a track record of unreliability that cannot be denied and that also has to factor into the decsion IMO

Are you sure you only had 2k in the bed? Tacos are known for weak springs. But unless if you are buying bags or blocks from Lowe’s then are you sure it was only 2k?

I wonder if a dump trailer (or similar) is needed here. That or just taking more trips with less in the bed. Anything can be overloaded. Anyhow. to me it sounds undersized. But if only 4 trips a year, why not rent or have it delivered? I get it, I hate renting too, so I just take more trips instead. Then you can keep a right sized vehicle that you otherwise like.

Are your driving your truck as a daily/everywhere? Colorado 2.8 diesel seems to do well for many. The powerboost f150 is cool if you can get one.

I had a gmc 6.2 8 speed truck that was very powerful and got decent mileage for what it was. Replaced it with a 1995 2wd cummins 12V long bed. It was a small fraction of the proceeds from the GMC. Its the perfect yard work dump run truck because its not high up, long bed, small yet big. I will keep it around even after i buy a new luxury truck in a few years when the prices tank. It is a bit of a project but worth dumping some funds into.

Maybe get a cheap gas mileage car or electric to grind some “truck bed not required” trips out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back