upgrade old or get new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good advice given from fellow members. Like someone mentioned earlier, if you're going to pay someone to get new components to work with your existing system, it would probably cost you at least $100 and the results aren't guaranteed.

If you have a local computer store that has been around for awhile, I would get a custom built system that can be more easily upgraded later versus the prepackaged box deals. Plus if you have a problem, you have a place to go to bring it back. And if you lose any data, more than likely they would be able to recover it for you and may not even charge for it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

$700 delivered

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Great price on a machine that is out of stock! lol

Must be popular!
but show me a next generation OS that doesn't use more ram than the old stuff.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/14/kde-uses-less-memory

Now there's a popular OS!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You will need 3 GB RAM minimum for Vista.

Are you serious? I knew I needed more than 1 GB, but I thought I could get by with 2 GB. Is Vista really such a resource hog?

I'm running Vista Home Basic with 1.25 GB and it seems pretty good. My RAM usage widget shows me at about 30-40% usage most of the time. I don't use anything too complicated though, mostly Internet, music, email. If you like having 7 windows open at a time, running Photoshop while burning DVDs, 2 GB would probably be good.

RealDeal - I have just been through this upgraded/new situation. I decided to buy new parts and build a new system since my machine was maxed out.

I have an Athlon 2000+ on a ASUS MB and 128meg of RAM that may help you upgrade. A lot depends on your current machine. Some are easy to upgrade, others are not.

I'm in SW GA and if you're close you may be interested. The price is right - yours for the asking. PM if you like.

One more vote for replacement instead of upgrade. I like to keep old hardware running too, but my PIII/933Mhz is running Ubuntu (Linux) instead of Win.

I buy behind teh curve usually. The further behind the curve you are, the sooner it becomes obsolete. Ther are plenty of system builders out there that can build you a machine ata reasonable cost. As a minimum, I'd do the following:

Dual Core Processor in the 2 GHz range
2 GB RAM
80 GB or more Hard Drive
Base video card (not built in to the system board)
DVD/CD Burner
On-board sound card

That might run you in the $500-$700 range.

Originally Posted By: Scott P
I buy behind teh curve usually. The further behind the curve you are, the sooner it becomes obsolete. Ther are plenty of system builders out there that can build you a machine ata reasonable cost. As a minimum, I'd do the following:

Dual Core Processor in the 2 GHz range
2 GB RAM
80 GB or more Hard Drive
Base video card (not built in to the system board)
DVD/CD Burner
On-board sound card

That might run you in the $500-$700 range.

If you buy on-board video to same money, just make sure it has a slot (PCI-E 16x) so you can add a video card later. Make sure it has 4 ram slots and only 2 are used initially so you have room to upgrade later as well. Those are easy things to add later on for minimal cost if you don't currently need them. You could start with 2 1GB ram modules now and have room to add 2 more later for a total of 4GB down the road.

Sounds like you had the exact system I have. I had ME, 933 speed processor, PIII chip, 124M Ram. Check newegg.com and look your computer up. Max out the memory, if you got a HP from that era, you can probably go up to 512M Ram. Get a new 80G HD. When I made those changes, wow, it was like a new computer. Works absoultely great right now.

Well I ended up getting a new one.I got a HP pavilion.Its got an AMD 2.6ghz processer 2 GB of ram and a 320GB hard drive.Funny thing is is I got it for half the price of the computer I replaced.

Originally Posted By: therealdeal770
Well I ended up getting a new one.I got a HP pavilion.Its got an AMD 2.6ghz processer 2 GB of ram and a 320GB hard drive.Funny thing is is I got it for half the price of the computer I replaced.

Good choice - do you know how much more it would have been with 3 or 4 Gig 'o ram? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: therealdeal770

Sounds like what I got.. although mine only has 1GB of ram but has a 20" flat screen. I think I built my last one seven years ago for $1200ish and this one was $550ish. Man how times have changed.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
A gig of ram runs $100ish from what I seen at bestbuy.

4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Notebook Memory should cost you about $100 if you go to a place that doesn't bend you over.

By the time you max out the cpu/ram/upgradeOS,...... you are the price point of some entry level machines.

Since I don't care for Vista, what I would do is buy XP OEM full edition online, a new mobo/cpu/memory, and reuse everything else. Ebay the old motherboard/cpu/memory and enjoy the power of your upgraded PC.

If you shop smart, you can find XP home for $100 or Pro(recommended) for $150. A motherboard, with everything inclusive(graphics/nic/sound) for $50-$100 depending on CPU chosen. Cpu from $50-$200. Ram is cheap and 2gb shouldn't cost more the $50. Hunt for rebates/closeouts since I doubt that you need the newest fanciest graphics CPU or other geek geewhiz stuff.

Visit xpbargainscom, techbargainscom and slickdealsnet for great stuff on sale.

I usually just buy at newegg, tigerdirect, zipzoomfly, buycheapsoftware......

Typical upgrade for older PC:
motherboard $65(socket 775 motherboard w/graphics/sound/nic, make sure it support 1066/1333-FSB, 4gb-ram, pciX, for future upgrade)
CPU--2.0ghz conroe celeron $65, or E4500 core2duo $130
memory $50(2x1gb ddr2)
windows xp pro($150)
The above won't tax older power supplies and can be made to fit any microATX or ATX case(typical).

What are the details of your current computer? case? mobo brand/type? power supply wattage?

Besides hating Vista, just about any 'branded' store bought PC is hard to upgrade, and IMO a waste of money.

For your current PC, 512mb PC133 is an easy upgrade($50 on ebay). PentiumIII 1000-1400, depending on motherboard compatibility, can be found on ebay for <$20. $100 for win OE home XP. ~$170 and you're IPOD ready but no future upgrades capable.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You might look into one of the Macs; their operating systems are easier to use and never get viruses.

That is [censored]!!! Macs are just as prone, if not more to viruses. Virus writers just did not want to spend their time writing viruses for the 5% of the computers. As Macs proliferate, and gain popularity so are the viruses. These days every Mac owner should have anti-virus program running.

With the new Macs, they are no different from PC. Both run on Pentium processors and use the same commands. One can get a PC interface from GNOME that looks just like Mac OS X, and some have been able to run OS X on PC's.

I don't buy that whole argument about Macs are as prone to viruses as Windows computers are. Two different approaches to security, two different results.

I've been eyeing up buying a Dell Inspiron 530 from eBay. There's a load of new ones listed now, many with nVidia cards and more than 1GB of RAM and Intel Core2Duo CPU's. I was eyeing up one guy who offers them with 4GB of RAM for less than $600 delivered.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
I don't buy that whole argument about Macs are as prone to viruses as Windows computers are. Two different approaches to security, two different results.

I don't either. The operating systems are so different that it's ridiculous to assume they are equally prone to viruses.

It makes less sense than saying all cars have the same reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back