UPF48R part number change

I have been using the UPF48R on my LS7 and LS3.
Would buy a number of them at a time
The number was 12626224.
Had to buy new ones this week .
Old has orange silicon antidrain back
New does not
Old has spring loaded bypass
New has what appears to be a orange flapper .
Core support is different.

So, I am ASSuming they changed Vendors ?
Does anyone know when this happened?
Is it still a good filter?
Thanks more any fact based info.

20201230_162927.jpg

Hmmm, IDK when this changed and I haven't seen the Ultraguard Gold(a.k.a. Mobil1) in my area for many years causing me to think they were discontinued. I do however see the Mobil1 at W*M and other stores.

I should instead say that the Ultraguard Gold used to be identical to the Mobil1 when they both first appeared decades ago.

Last edited:
The Ultraguard Gold has gone through several iterations since being introduced. First started as a fully synthetic filter with an excellent efficiency spec, though oddly it had a nitrile adbv. Then the one shown on the left came along with a silicone adbv and seemingly a blend media, which is also what Champ made M1 had.

Seems the one on the right is the latest and based on description reads very similar to the UPF 64R as now sold on Amazon. Those are still Champ Labs made, at least using Zon images. Without seeing the baseplate design in pic, difficult to say if one shown is identical, but the 64R uses nitrile adbv. Baseplate pic of filter on right would provide more conclusive information

It is true that M1 is now made M&H Puro, but haven't seen evidence to this point where AC Delco OFs have changed manufacturers.

Way back when it first came out. They don't even mention the ADBV on the box. Box has a 1995 copyright.

AC Delco UPF Oil Filter Box-1.jpg

AC Delco UPF Oil Filter Box-2.jpg

AC Delco UPF Oil Filter Box-3.jpg

AC Delco UPF Oil Filter Box-4.jpg

ZeeOSix thanks for the pics.
I hadn't seen those AC UPFs nor the Mobil1(syn media) filters in my neck of the woods til much later ~ early 2000s. Not saying that they didn't sell'em somewhere locally, I just didn't see them anywhere except for magazine ads.

The Ultraguard Gold has gone through several iterations since being introduced. First started as a fully synthetic filter with an excellent efficiency spec, though oddly it had a nitrile adbv. Then the one shown on the left came along with a silicone adbv and seemingly a blend media, which is also what Champ made M1 had.

Seems the one on the right is the latest and based on description reads very similar to the UPF 64R as now sold on Amazon. Those are still Champ Labs made, at least using Zon images. Without seeing the baseplate design in pic, difficult to say if one shown is identical, but the 64R uses nitrile adbv. Baseplate pic of filter on right would provide more conclusive information

It is true that M1 is now made M&H Puro, but haven't seen evidence to this point where AC Delco OFs have changed manufacturers.

Attachments

• 20201230_162150.jpg
    20201230_162150.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20201230_162257.jpg
    20201230_162257.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for the follow up pics of baseplate. Old and new with nitrile adbv, both Champ Labs made. The stamped ZZ sometimes Y on baseplate is unique to Champ Labs OFs. Original Ultraguard had TT imprinted as shown here.

I wouldn't necessarily put the adbv change on Champ. As ACDelco would determine what specs they want from Champ, could be they made the call.

FYI, I just bought two of these (of the new iteration). They are definitely still high end Champ made. Looks exactly like the Mobil 1 filter before the recent redesign.

I have had the Chevy dealer put UPF48R's in my 2015 SS Sedan for the last three oil changes (ACDelco Dexos1Gen2, ie Mobil Super Full Synthetic)--this is a bit of overkill for my wet sump LS3, but the only OEM alternative has been the substandard PF48E. Even after the Rank Group of NZ merged Champ Labs and Fram into the Fram Filtration Group (2012-13), the UPF48R essentially stayed a Champ design, right through the recently superseded 12626224. Unfortunately, the current iteration--12694692--has been "Fram-ulated". It still is robustly built, but now has the plastic Fram-style bypass valve integrated into the retaining spring vs. the rubber valve integrated into the end cap of the filter element, a la Champion...no "ZZ" on the baseplate that I could see, either. Plus I agree with 95wagon that the adbv appears to now be nitrile vs. silicone. So, it would seem ACDelco has now spec'd a cheaper version of the Ultraguard filters, just as they did with the "E" version of the standard OEM filter. Makes me contemplate using an M1, Wix XP or NAPA Gold/Platinum next time...

It is interesting that the Ultraguard filters started out as full synthetic with wire backing in the mid-90's--the filter shown in the thread looks like a quality piece. However, it was changed once the hybrid technology that combined a microfiber coating on a cellulose base was able to achieve the same efficiency--around 98 %--for less cost. Still, many high end filters still use fully synthetic filter elements in their designs.

Lastly on this subject, here are a couple of links to Corvette Forum and YouTube on the ACDelco PF/UPF filters (esp model 48) and their competitors. The insides of the e-core PF models are particularly scary. (From what I have read, the e-core technology was actually developed by Champion Labs, not Fram, just before the merger, and was used in the lower end models of both brand's products.)

First Brands is making changes across the board it seems. The actual brand name on the filter means little these days.
Yes-the recently documented appearance of a Champ/Luberfiner Ecore at AAP with a Fram name on it (at 2-4 times the regular Ecore price) seems to indicate that Mann & Hummel are not the only company cheapening things up recently...:confused:
I think I'm going to have to pick up a few more UPF48R filters very soon!

Interesting that a news release from First Brands (TRICO Group) describes buying Champ Labs, not Fram Filtration. By now am sure the operations of Champ and the original Fram are fully integrated.

Was thinking that perhaps the spring- loaded plastic cap bypass valve integrated into the retention spring really is a Champ Labs invention, and not Fram-tech as I have read on other forums. There is no way to integrate the bypass valve into the fiber end cap of an e- core, so they (Champ) had to come up with another solution. Now it seems that type of bypass valve is used across much of the Champ/Fram line, even their high end models, eg, ACD UPF’s.

So, I wonder if this seemingly inferior/ cheaper bypass valve design is an issue in
terms of filter performance and/or engine protection. The nitrile anti-drainback valve (the other cheapened feature of the UPF48R...) is disappointing, but less of an issue for me since my oil change interval is 5K or less on the vehicle.

Interesting that a news release from First Brands (TRICO Group) describes buying Champ Labs, not Fram Filtration. By now am sure the operations of Champ and the original Fram are fully integrated.

Was thinking that perhaps the spring- loaded plastic cap bypass valve integrated into the retention spring really is a Champ Labs invention, and not Fram-tech as I have read on other forums. There is no way to integrate the bypass valve into the fiber end cap of an e- core, so they (Champ) had to come up with another solution. Now it seems that type of bypass valve is used across much of the Champ/Fram line, even their high end models, eg, ACD UPF’s.

So, I wonder if this seemingly inferior/ cheaper bypass valve design is an issue in
terms of filter performance and/or engine protection.
The nitrile anti-drainback valve (the other cheapened feature of the UPF48R...) is disappointing, but less of an issue for me since my oil change interval is 5K or less on the vehicle.
What makes you think the Champ/Fram bypass valve is "inferior" ?

Some feel the hard plastic ‘button’ provides less of a seal against its metal seat ( on the retention spring) than the rubber valve previously integrated into the metal end cap.

Also, exploded views of these filters don’t
provide a good picture of how the retention
spring/ bypass valve assembly actually
seals against the top of the (now open) metal end cap. The spring is bow-tie shaped ( vs a complete circle covering the entire top of the end cap) and I have not seen any sort of sealing ring or gasket between the valve/ spring assembly and the main body of the filter. ( Any explanation of how the overall sealing is actually accomplished would be appreciated).

Clearly, the Champ/ Fram design works overall, but it is unclear how it’s performance and durability specs compare to the older design.

Some feel the hard plastic ‘button’ provides less of a seal against its metal seat ( on the retention spring) than the rubber valve previously integrated into the metal end cap.

seals against the top of the (now open) metal end cap. The spring is bow-tie shaped ( vs a complete circle covering the entire top of the end cap) and I have not seen any sort of sealing ring or gasket between the valve/ spring assembly and the main body of the filter. ( Any explanation of how the overall sealing is actually accomplished would be appreciated).

Clearly, the Champ/ Fram design works overall, but it is unclear how it’s performance and durability specs compare to the older design.
Most bypass valves are either metal on metal or nylon on metal. Got an example photo of a bypass valve that is rubber or has an actual rubber seal ?

The leaf spring/bypass valve assembly typically seals on the non-metal end cap, or like in the case of the Fram Ultra, it seals on a fiber ring built into the metal end cap. Take note that the WIX/NAPA filters have a metal to metal end cap seal, which I'd say isn't as tight as filters that have a metal on fiber seal.

The oil pressure is around the outside of the media, and the outlet is the center tube, so the delta-p is pressing against the leaf spring/bypass assembly, pushing it against the felt end of the media on an Ecore, in addition to the leaf spring pressure. I’m sure it works well enough, for a cheap (IMO) jobber level filter. I’m just not impressed at all with what First Brands is doing with their filter lines, so-called “premium” filters like the UPF48R are being turned into overpriced run of the mill ones.

Here is a pic of an older version of the UPF48R from 2012--u can see the bypass valve integrated into the metal end cap. Members of the Corvette Forum (source of the pic) seemed to think it was rubber vs. black plastic.

Looking at the video comparing the current UPF48R with the PF48E, I don't see any sort of fiber ring seal on the metal end cap of the former (where the retention spring/bypass valve assembly is attached).

Unfortunately, it seems Fram Filtration (under Rank Group) started the cheapening process even before its sale to Trico/First Brands, and I agree am not optimistic going forward in terms of the quality of their 'high end' filters. Even worse, ACDelco has accepted these design changes (less expensive for them, too...) and not found another vendor to maintain quality specs, a la Mobil1, even for their 'performance' models.

As prev mentioned, it seems using an M1 or high-end WIX product might be the way to go in the future....

picture_php_pictureid_125990_c01be701007afe9f5940a47db7709a8771207ab7.jpg

Back