Updated VW ID.3 boasts new styling, tech

Io don't hate it, looks small - Polo Size?
It's Golf size - they are nearly identical in all size/capacity measurements.

Looking at the comments above shows why Volkswagen is not selling it here. Looks like a perfect car for Europe.

I would have bought this in a heartbeat to replace my EGolf but alas here I am in an ID.4. Don't get me wrong I really like my ID.4 but would have much preferred a smaller hatchback than hopping on the CUV bandwagon.

Why are most EVs so UGLY
I dont agree, I think the SUV type vehicles from VW, Kia (awesome) and upcoming GM are pretty darn nice.
One must keep in mind many of these are compact and sub compact cars, if that's not your thing and you want an EV get ready to take out a mortgage for a larger one vs good old convenient gasoline.

EVs are small because they are meant as commuter compact cars (and need to keep costs down as batteries arent cheap) they may try to appear to be more but other than a hobbyist or other than a second car, who wants to be bothered with having to charge a battery on road trips?
SO you end up with compact cars and compact SUVs as they cant come close to matching anywhere near the price of a mid size American SUV. ... but I love the looks of that new Kia and also those new GMs coming out.

I dont agree, I think the SUV type vehicles from VW, Kia (awesome) and upcoming GM are pretty darn nice.
One must keep in mind many of these are compact and sub compact cars, if that's not your thing and you want an EV get ready to take out a mortgage for a larger one vs good old convenient gasoline.

EVs are small because they are meant as commuter compact cars (and need to keep costs down as batteries arent cheap) they may try to appear to be more but other than a hobbyist or other than a second car, who wants to be bothered with having to charge a battery on road trips?
SO you end up with compact cars and compact SUVs as they cant come close to matching anywhere near the price of a mid size American SUV. ... but I love the looks of that new Kia and also those new GMs coming out.

I think in next couple years there will be a nice healthy inventory of used current gen EV's (ID.4, Mach-E, Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq5, etc.) that will help open the market up to more folks. Good thing about a used EV is its hard to neglect them and the worst you have to worry about is a clogged cabin filter, worn wiper blades or missed brake fluid exchanges. I haven't closely followed all the current gen cars but at least with Tesla and VW ID series the batteries are not showing any serious battery degradation issues.

I have regionally road tripped my ID.4 three times in the past 6 months. ~400 miles R/T twice (Atlanta to Asheville) and ~530 miles R/T the other (Atlanta->Asheville->Pigeon Forge->Atlanta) and it worked out just fine with little issue, charging stops were turned into meal stops or a quick Walmart shopping trips (that was convenient) and all those stops we were racing the clock so as to not charge too much. Anything beyond ~300 miles each way we are flying as we want to get to our vacation destination ASAP instead of toiling the hours away driving, it was like this even prior to owning an EV.

For the family road trip I have theoretically planned out a trip I have done a couple times in an ICE car (Atlanta to Duluth MN) and in my ID.4 it would take about ~10-15% longer (22 hours vs ~19-20) and my ID.4 is on the lower end of the current crop of EV's as far as range and charging speed goes. That 10-15% gap will most likely be closed with a more robust charging network and the next gen of EV's as battery and efficiency improvements are continuous.

...so the "new tech" is a bigger screen, a new removable cargo floor and (hold my heart like Fred Sanford) - redesigned cup holders.

This line was born and remains solidly behind the leaders range, efficiency, and charging curves.

...so the "new tech" is a bigger screen, a new removable cargo floor and (hold my heart like Fred Sanford) - redesigned cup holders.

This line was born and remains solidly behind the leaders range, efficiency, and charging curves.
MEB+ is not far around the corner that addresses many of the MEB shortcomings.

I don't recall charging curve being an issue on the MEB and it is/was one of the better curves from the beginning. Charging speed has been addressed with later MEB's up to 175KW, pre-conditioning has not been addressed yet though unfortunately.

MEB+ is not far around the corner that addresses many of the MEB shortcomings.

I don't recall charging curve being an issue on the MEB and it is/was one of the better curves from the beginning. Charging speed has been addressed with later MEB's up to 175KW, pre-conditioning has not been addressed yet though unfortunately.

Where is the line between being an "issue" and being "slow"?

Heres the leaderboard. ID series is not even on the page.

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 10.57.27 AM.jpg

From the ID series tests year ago -

The Ice benchmark time is 9 hours (post 15)

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 12.28.35 PM.jpg

Back