Updated VW ID.3 boasts new styling, tech

From the ID series tests year ago -

The Ice benchmark time is 9 hours (post 15)

View attachment 144678

So the first snip you sent is pretty much all luxury high end models where $$$ is no object except the EV6 at 9hr 55 mins - not including the two benchmarks up top (PHEV and battery swap). This latest snip you sent shows the ID line is solidly competitive among its peers and even surpasses more expensive models. Hell the ID.3 at 10:20 (25 minutes slower than EV6) is quite impressive considering the EV6 has 800V architecture and claims to charge much faster than the ID series.

So again tell me how this shows "This line was born and remains solidly behind the leaders range, efficiency, and charging curves" also how "Where is the line between being an "issue" and being "slow"?"

This is like comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Mercedes E class and coming up with the conclusion the Mercedes is better.

So the first snip you sent is pretty much all luxury high end models where $$$ is no object except the EV6 at 9hr 55 mins - not including the two benchmarks up top (PHEV and battery swap). This latest snip you sent shows the ID line is solidly competitive among its peers and even surpasses more expensive models. Hell the ID.3 at 10:20 (25 minutes slower than EV6) is quite impressive considering the EV6 has 800V architecture and claims to charge much faster than the ID series.

So again tell me how this shows "This line was born and remains solidly behind the leaders range, efficiency, and charging curves" also how "Where is the line between being an "issue" and being "slow"?"

This is like comparing a Chevy Malibu to a Mercedes E class and coming up with the conclusion the Mercedes is better.

The model 3 and Y long range are solidly on the leaderboard and not at all money no object cars and cost competitive with the ID series.

The model 3 and Y long range are solidly on the leaderboard and not at all money no object cars and cost competitive with the ID series.

For that matter, if you like the car form over crossover for the Model 3 can be had cheaper. At the time we bought it could be had sooner too. We never got as far as a delivery date and we waited 4 months after the ID.4 order to just order a Model 3 instead. We canceled the ID.4 order the day we got the Model 3 and didn't even get to the step to confirm our order and give them the second deposit. If they were easier to get at the time we'd have never bought a Tesla. We didn't even consider it at first.

I think that says a lot of why they're the standard. They've got it figured out at least. I feel like VW doesn't quite know what it's doing, but it's trying to copy Tesla's sales model with the ID line. So far it doesn't look like it's working.

I think in next couple years there will be a nice healthy inventory of used current gen EV's (ID.4, Mach-E, Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq5, etc.) that will help open the market up to more folks. Good thing about a used EV is its hard to neglect them and the worst you have to worry about is a clogged cabin filter, worn wiper blades or missed brake fluid exchanges. I haven't closely followed all the current gen cars but at least with Tesla and VW ID series the batteries are not showing any serious battery degradation issues.

I have regionally road tripped my ID.4 three times in the past 6 months. ~400 miles R/T twice (Atlanta to Asheville) and ~530 miles R/T the other (Atlanta->Asheville->Pigeon Forge->Atlanta) and it worked out just fine with little issue, charging stops were turned into meal stops or a quick Walmart shopping trips (that was convenient) and all those stops we were racing the clock so as to not charge too much. Anything beyond ~300 miles each way we are flying as we want to get to our vacation destination ASAP instead of toiling the hours away driving, it was like this even prior to owning an EV.

For the family road trip I have theoretically planned out a trip I have done a couple times in an ICE car (Atlanta to Duluth MN) and in my ID.4 it would take about ~10-15% longer (22 hours vs ~19-20) and my ID.4 is on the lower end of the current crop of EV's as far as range and charging speed goes. That 10-15% gap will most likely be closed with a more robust charging network and the next gen of EV's as battery and efficiency improvements are continuous.
Yes, the market will be awash in EV's. I don't think adoption will be as much as the media expects but it's not going to be bad.
Different strokes for everyone and I am not knocking anyone who rather have an EV. I couldn't have one for my main vehicle. I love road trips and I don't stop for more than a few minutes to fill the tank up. I don't do meals on a road trip.

I would entertain one as a second car. I too would expect a used one to have less concerns as far as issues but we really do not know that yet, only a decade under our belt will determine how trouble free these cars will be.

Yes, the market will be awash in EV's. I don't think adoption will be as much as the media expects but it's not going to be bad.
Different strokes for everyone and I am not knocking anyone who rather have an EV. I couldn't have one for my main vehicle. I love road trips and I don't stop for more than a few minutes to fill the tank up. I don't do meals on a road trip.

I would entertain one as a second car. I too would expect a used one to have less concerns as far as issues but we really do not know that yet, only a decade under our belt will determine how trouble free these cars will be.

I have a neighbor down the street that recently picked up a Model S 70D which is a pre facelift car, 2015 or older. It should have around 240 miles of range. I should talk to him about it sometime. Curious to see his degradation and how many miles he has on it.

I have a neighbor down the street that recently picked up a Model S 70D which is a pre facelift car, 2015 or older. It should have around 240 miles of range. I should talk to him about it sometime. Curious to see his degradation and how many miles he has on it.
I noticed our Model 3's mileage had degraed a lot. Then I remembered I needed to charge it. I hate it when that happens!

For that matter, if you like the car form over crossover for the Model 3 can be had cheaper. At the time we bought it could be had sooner too. We never got as far as a delivery date and we waited 4 months after the ID.4 order to just order a Model 3 instead. We canceled the ID.4 order the day we got the Model 3 and didn't even get to the step to confirm our order and give them the second deposit. If they were easier to get at the time we'd have never bought a Tesla. We didn't even consider it at first.

I think that says a lot of why they're the standard. They've got it figured out at least. I feel like VW doesn't quite know what it's doing, but it's trying to copy Tesla's sales model with the ID line. So far it doesn't look like it's working.
Oh there have definitely been some (and still are) major hurdles for VW with the ID line but it seems they have mostly moved past them with the '23 models and the Chattanooga plant revving up. Really the only thing left is to get the '21 and early '22 cars updated and get the OTA updates happening - I'm really hoping this is the year all that happens but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not a VW apologetic by any stretch and won't hesitate to call them out. Most of the minor issues I have with my '21 are all software related that have been already fixed with the newer cars (later '22 and all '23) running newer software. Its the glacial pace that VW is taking to update the older cars that is getting incredibly frustrating, their process handling it has been a total cluster.

I don't know what you mean by they are trying to copy Tesla sales model. They are not doing anything differently than when they sell someone a Jetta, Tiguan or Atlas. Yeah they had a reservation system in the beginning but thats gone now and you just call your dealer of choice if you want an ID.4.

Oh there have definitely been some (and still are) major hurdles for VW with the ID line but it seems they have mostly moved past them with the '23 models and the Chattanooga plant revving up. Really the only thing left is to get the '21 and early '22 cars updated and get the OTA updates happening - I'm really hoping this is the year all that happens but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not a VW apologetic by any stretch and won't hesitate to call them out. Most of the minor issues I have with my '21 are all software related that have been already fixed with the newer cars (later '22 and all '23) running newer software. Its the glacial pace that VW is taking to update the older cars that is getting incredibly frustrating, their process handling it has been a total cluster.

I don't know what you mean by they are trying to copy Tesla sales model. They are not doing anything differently than when they sell someone a Jetta, Tiguan or Atlas. Yeah they had a reservation system in the beginning but thats gone now and you just call your dealer of choice if you want an ID.4.
Yeah in my case it was too little, too late. They directed us to the website to order. The process was very similar to ordering the Tesla, at least from the website experience. This was just last year so I'm not sure when it changed. We were in for a 2022 at the time and then the 2023 update came out and we made the necessary changes to our order. The dealer was awesome. It's the same dealer I bought my GTI from. I really do hope it improved now because we never got to lock our order. It just got to the point after months of waiting that we needed another car.

Yeah in my case it was too little, too late. They directed us to the website to order. The process was very similar to ordering the Tesla, at least from the website experience. This was just last year so I'm not sure when it changed. We were in for a 2022 at the time and then the 2023 update came out and we made the necessary changes to our order. The dealer was awesome. It's the same dealer I bought my GTI from. I really do hope it improved now because we never got to lock our order. It just got to the point after months of waiting that we needed another car.
Yeah they closed the reservation system a couple months back, they are still fulfilling orders for existing reservation holders it was just new customers now have to just go to their local dealer to inquire. I'm sure the ID.Buzz and ID.7 (or whatever the sedan is called) will probably have a reservation system initially then go to typical visit your dealer once the newness/backlog dies down.

I wouldn’t touch a VAG MEB platform vehicle with your money never mind my own. The software is totally shocking to the point a fault code read on a car that has “no fault” with give you 20 sporadic fault codes and a car with “a fault” may have the same 20 faults! You try diagnosing a issue on one it’s brilliant.

Also The batteries are known to have issues to the point there’s a campaign to read measured values from 8C so they can try and establish what’s going on.

VAG has had so many software problems over the last 2 years it’s past being funny for technicians. Workshops full of cars being updated for hours on end.

I wouldn’t touch a VAG MEB platform vehicle with your money never mind my own. The software is totally shocking to the point a fault code read on a car that has “no fault” with give you 20 sporadic fault codes and a car with “a fault” may have the same 20 faults! You try diagnosing a issue on one it’s brilliant.

Also The batteries are known to have issues to the point there’s a campaign to read measured values from 8C so they can try and establish what’s going on.

VAG has had so many software problems over the last 2 years it’s past being funny for technicians. Workshops full of cars being updated for hours on end.

Do you have some sources to cite for the battery problems? Curious mainly because I have an ID.4.

I’m a VWG HVE technician so work on these everyday. My comments are from direct experience

When I was in for my 40k mile service on my GTI they were having trouble with the previous ID.4 tester that was now on the showroom with a bunch of warnings on the screen for the battery pack and the tech was messing with it on the showroom floor. They eventually moved it back to service, but it definitely wasn't a good look with the amount of people in the showroom.

Back