updated response from Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received this email today.

Frank,

Any oil company can state that they have run any test comparing their product to a competitor's product and that their product, in this Valvoline , is better however this testing and results must be substantiated by the other competitor and other US governing bodies. ExxonMobil is not aware of a single test that shows that Valvoline motor oil exhibits 4 times better wear than Mobil1 5W30 motor oil. All such claims must be substantiated and ExxonMobil has requested Valvoline to provide the substantiating data to support this claim immediately.

Many of these websites are mostly gossip with incorrect and inaccurate information that very well could be flamed by competitor's. If you have an oil analysis that you wish to go over, do not hesitate to contact Mobil at 1-800-662-4525 opton1 and we would be happy to review.

Auto manufacturer's such as Bentley, Corvette and other GM's, Viper and many other Chrysler Dodge, Porsche, Mercedes, Ford GT Supercar and Ford Shelby GT 500 and may others test dozens and dozens of motor oils in real world testing, field testing and wide open throttle along with all API related testing to show maximum performance and protection and to utilize the very best engine motor oils in their crankcase for the finest vehicles in the world. These manufacturer's are not concerned about cost or contracts but what motor oil will provide the best overall protection and performance for their engines. Mobil1 is repeatedly chosen as the factory fill motor oil in these high performance engines. When you have an oil analysis that you have performed on your mechanically sound vehicle, contact us so we may review,

Thanks.

-MJ

Well, I will just copy and paste from my post in the other thread on this.

Well, old MJ should just log-in on this site and he could review all the UOA's he wants to. His explanations would be interesting.

Originally Posted By: sheargeniousinmi
Well I sent him this web site, maybe he will show up some time.

Oh, I'm sure he along with every other oil company is aware of this site. Most of them review, but few ever post.

"Well, old MJ should just log-in on this site and he could review all the UOA's he wants to. His explanations would be interesting. "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, he should stick to basketball.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Too bad he fails to mention that Mobil1 is simply the highest bidder to get their oil in the engine of many manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: Dominic
Too bad he fails to mention that Mobil1 is simply the highest bidder to get their oil in the engine of many manufacturers.

I think you might be right about that. I didn't think so before, but seeing the way they use that bit of information to counter any questions about performance, I have a hunch that it is a calculated part of their marketing strategy now.

What is so hard? It is manufacturers, not manufacturer's. They don't own anything. It is plural.

Trust me, the car makers will not spec an oil based on bidding only. It has to work. Too much money is on the line.

Agreed. It has to work. It even has to be excellent. However, among several oils that might be excellent, two points. 1) The most excellent might not win, and 2) excellence might be judged more on longevity and other factors than on wear, making the selection less relevant to somebody who wants the best-wearing oil and is willing to change it more often if necessary for cleanliness, etc.

otoh, Castrol is the Factory-Fill in:
BMW
Audi
Bentley
Rolls-Royce (iirc)
Volkswagen
Lamborghini
Ford
Volvo
Aston-Martin
Bugatti
SEAT/Skoda

Not exactly junk.

Also, like I've said before, performance is only one factor in an OEM choosing an oil. Worldwide availability, blending consistency and so on must play a large role. Those things don't matter to us.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
otoh, Castrol is the Factory-Fill in:
BMW
Audi
Bentley
Rolls-Royce (iirc)
Volkswagen
Lamborghini
Ford
Volvo
Aston-Martin
Bugatti
SEAT/Skoda

Not exactly junk.

Those Bugatti are so cheap... Since the most expensive car uses Castrol as factory fill, It must be the best!

Everytime Mobil sends out one of these canned email responses to a queston, I loose more respect...

And I just filled my crankcase with Mobil...
33.gif

Should have used Syntec.

Bill

Is the Castrol that is used in those cars as is from the shelf or is it manufactured to their specs such as happens with Honda?

Face it-for probably 95% of drivers-M1 is probably overkill anyway. What confuses me (& maybe I'm just stupid) is why M1 in a BRAND NEW engine-I have read in multiple places that a full syn interferes with correct piston ring break-in & seating, & shouldn't be used until the engine is fully broken in-I guess all that is now out the window?? Remember that engineers don't normally man the customer service desk-probably some marketing intern responding in this case!!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Face it-for probably 95% of drivers-M1 is probably overkill anyway. What confuses me (& maybe I'm just stupid) is why M1 in a BRAND NEW engine-I have read in multiple places that a full syn interferes with correct piston ring break-in & seating,....

The millions of people who have successfully broken in new car engines on synthetic oil are a solid indication that what you have been reading is not always valid.

Pao base stocks are a copy of an oil molecule so there is really little difference. The hard part is understanding what we are reading and seperating B.S. from facts.

Originally Posted By: Dominic

It only makes sense.

It's probably the cheapest form of advertising.

They win the contract for the Corvette FF and have their logo on the oil fill cap. Every Tom, **** and Harry out there thinks, "If it's good enough for the Corvette, it's good enough for me" goes out and puts Mobil 1 in all their cars.

From my personal experience, I'll take PP over M1 any day for a synthetic that's easily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back