Update!!! Time for struts

So I'm contemplating getting the Bilstein Struts for my 13 Edge SEL to replace the Monroe quick struts that's been on for 2 years, (that I posted about) but I would use the springs that came with the Monroe's 🤷🏻‍♂️ the Bilstein I'm looking at is B4 OE replacement or B6 Struts? If not then I'm just going with the KYB strut plus. Anybody know anything about the B6's or the OE replacements?

I've always heard great things about Bilstein. If your springs aren't sagging on your Monroe's, use em. Get new mounts while your at it, I consider them a wear item.

Put B6's on a Saab with great success. Never had B4's so I can't advise. Might the B4 (always referred to as regular or stock ride) be enough?

If the Edge lives in the center lane the B4's might be enough....they're kinda slow, no?

I can tell you the B6's sold that Saab -a 9-5 Aero wagon- when the time came as the buyer had wrecked his Saab and B6's, which were mentioned in the ad, were on his to-do list.

Last edited:
I've always heard great things about Bilstein. If your springs aren't sagging on your Monroe's, use em. Get new mounts while your at it, I consider them a wear item.
What I was considering was since, the struts are only 2 years old, go with Motorcraft mounts, and just use the strut bellows and strut boot's from the Monroe's??

Put B6's on a Saab with great success. Never had B4's so I can't advise. Might the B4 (always referred to as regular or stock ride) be enough?

If the Edge lives in the center lane the B4's might be enough....they're kinda slow, no?

I can tell you the B6's sold that Saab -a 9-5 Aero wagon- when the time came as the buyer had wrecked his Saab and B6's, which were mentioned in the ad, were on his to-do list.
Are the B6 a little bit firmer? how would you consider them? Thank you

What I was considering was since, the struts are only 2 years old, go with Motorcraft mounts, and just use the strut bellows and strut boot's from the Monroe's??
Yup, I'd use Motorcraft or Moog mounts myself.. Using the bellows from the monroes is fine. What engine does your Edge have? Just checking to see what mounts are available to you..

The Saab's ride was TREMENDOUSLY IMPROVED and firmness was well represented. So much improvement, I bought them for my Volvo V70 base.
Sorry to say they're not in the car yet.
The premium delivered big time in the Saab for sure. Go for it.

Bilstein has been cheapening many of their recent B6 struts. Most new B6 applications are twintube now instead of monotube. For your Edge, the B6 is twintube up front, monotube rear.

If you use Bilstein, get the OE/Motorcraft mounts.

Otherwise, just use the KYB quick struts.

When I bought my Benz it had worn out Bilsteins. Replaced with a set of KYBs. Nice firm, comfortable ride and lots less money than the yellow brand.

1646003835955.jpg

Bilstein has been cheapening many of their recent B6 struts. Most new B6 applications are twintube now instead of monotube. For your Edge, the B6 is twintube up front, monotube rear.

If you use Bilstein, get the OE/Motorcraft mounts.

Otherwise, just use the KYB quick struts.
Can you please explain the difference between monotube and twin tube?

Most would argue that a monotube is better, but better is relative.

I would probably not advise using the monroe springs with other shocks, id snag some new oe springs or perhaps some sort of aftermarket spring...

I would seek out some model specific reviews of the various struts/shocks for your car too.

I would probably not advise using the monroe springs with other shocks, id snag some new oe springs or perhaps some sort of aftermarket spring...

I would seek out some model specific reviews of the various struts/shocks for your car too.
I'm going to agree with you about the springs.

I was on a Ford Edge forum and when I was doing a search, I saw where people purchased KYB struck plus and used Motorcraft strut mounts, but basically you have to take the whole strut apart, to change the amount.. that seems asinine.. LOL

Back