Update on the Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aa1986
^ based on Tirerack's testing and survey results and the fact that the Michelin's are designed to maintain their wet performance even when they wear, then the Premiers are the #1 choice for wet and snow.

The 2nd choice for wet and snow are the Continentals which are much cheaper.

The Pirelli's are only a consideration for wet use if you disregard Tireracks testing and place more emphasis on survey results.

As to tread depth, the warranty is 60k miles vs 70k miles for Continental & Pirelli. So that makes the Premiers even more expensive compared to the Continentals.

Thanks, been on TR reading my eyes out. LOL
The only thing with the Conti's was on my dads Taurus they were a tad loud. guess I still remember that.
A local tire dealer is talking about the new Cooper CS5.
The tires will go on the wife's Camry.

Yes the TR tests and surveys show the Conti's noise is significantly worse.

I'd be tempted to wait on a deal on the Premiers if wet performance is important. They may cost more but having significantly better performance at 4/32 than any other tire may be valuable and ultimately a cost saving if you don't need to change tires at that point.

Yes the TR tests and surveys show the Conti's noise is significantly worse.

I'd be tempted to wait on a deal on the Premiers if wet performance is important. They may cost more but having significantly better performance at 4/32 than any other tire may be valuable and ultimately a cost saving if you don't need to change tires at that point.

Just saw Costco has a $70 rebate on 4 Premiers, hmmmmmmm
smile.gif

I see they have detailed the claim of better wet braking when worn:

Quote:
Even when worn, the MICHELIN® Premier® A/S tire still stops shorter on wet roads than leading competitors’ brand-new tires.

Based on internal wet braking tests from 40 and 50 MPH versus Goodyear® Assurance® Tripletred™ A/S tires in sizes 235/55R17 99H and P215/60R16 94V, Bridgestone® Turanza™ Serenity Plus in size P215/60R16 95V; using the MICHELIN® Premier® A/S tires in sizes 235/55R17 99H and 215/60R16 95V buffed to 5/32" of tread. Actual on-road results may vary

The Turanza Serenity Plus outperformed the Pirelli P7's in the wet in Tire Rack's testing.

So Premier's at 5/32 are better than NEW P7's in the wet.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
^ based on Tirerack's testing and survey results and the fact that the Michelin's are designed to maintain their wet performance even when they wear, then the Premiers are the #1 choice for wet and snow.

The 2nd choice for wet and snow are the Continentals which are much cheaper.

The Pirelli's are only a consideration for wet use if you disregard Tireracks testing and place more emphasis on survey results.

As to tread depth, the warranty is 60k miles vs 70k miles for Continental & Pirelli. So that makes the Premiers even more expensive compared to the Continentals.

Thanks, been on TR reading my eyes out. LOL
The only thing with the Conti's was on my dads Taurus they were a tad loud. guess I still remember that.
A local tire dealer is talking about the new Cooper CS5.
The tires will go on the wife's Camry.

I have read some promising reviews with the new Cooper CS5's. They too are worth a consideration.

Thanks, trying to make a right decision. I need to wait till after tax time.
Sams has a BFG Touring TA tire with a $50 off four. Thing is that tire I believe is made just for Sams.

I believe that you can buy the Touring TA's from the tire rack also. They came as OE on a lot of GM cars. \

What size do you have?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
They do have the 5-114 bolt pattern but, the hub center is different. So, I can't put the Nissan OE wheels on the Mazda but, I can visa-versa.

It they both had aftermarket wheels, I could do it fine, as the center hub would be large enough on both.
smile.gif

It's a lot of work that I'm not willing to invest in just for curiosity sake. And too, since the Mazda is in PA most of the time and I am in NY.
"Hub centric" wheels fit tightly on the lip ring cast in the hub just out from the center. "Lug centric" wheel is located by the lugs themselves. A lug centric wheel can be converted to hub centric by fitting the proper spacer ring inside. Without the ring the wheel may not stay exactly centered on a hub centric hub. Tire Rack can provide spacers. Aftermarket alloys come with the spacer if needed for a particular car when sold by a reputable company like Tire Rack and I have been able to buy replacement spacers when moron tire busters have thrown away the ones on the wheel, just as they throw away (or keep) good quality metal valve caps.

Hmmm! 2 stars(**) in 175 reviews. Not a good showing.
Much better tires out there for the money.

At SAM's Club:

BFG T/A $107.62 x 4 = $430.48 - $50 = 380.48 before installation.
I believe after installation, you'll be back up to ~ $460 or more OTD.

Do you typically buy locally?
Have you considered buying online?

Last edited:
Hmmm! 2 stars(**) in 175 reviews. Not a good showing.
Much better tires out there for the money.

At SAM's Club:

BFG T/A $107.62 x 4 = $430.48 - $50 = 380.48 before installation.
I believe after installation, you'll be back up to ~ $460 or more OTD.

Do you typically buy locally?
Have you considered buying online?

usually buy local. shipping gets pricey from TR... unless there is a trick. Never ordered tires online.

Costco has a $70 rebate on the Michelin's.

The Discount Tire stores by me will price match Tire Rack on most tires. They take the cost of the tire, shipping and add installation cost and then match or beat that price.
I was there Friday to get 4 snow tires. They beat Tire Rack's price by $25.

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
The Discount Tire stores by me will price match Tire Rack on most tires. They take the cost of the tire, shipping and add installation cost and then match or beat that price.
I was there Friday to get 4 snow tires. They beat Tire Rack's price by $25.

I will test them out. May have to wait till after tax season. took money of a mutual fund for a large down payment on my Camry. I am sure there will be a capital gain.....

Cant win, work hard, save money and the government says wait a minute cant have that.

Buy from Discounttiredirect when they're offering all of their rebates. You can get around $100-$150 in prepaid Visa Cards. Or More Dollars if you buy at the right time. I have gotten as much as $170.

In rare cases, when they double their rebates, you can get as much as $220 back!

I got my first real snow driving experience with these Pirelli P7 Cinturato P7 A/S Plus tires this weekend. On Saturday, Syracuse, NY got a mix of heavy freezing rain and sleet and it brought I-90 mostly to a crawl but I was able to maintain 60+ MPH without issue. The road surface was just tire tracks in each lane with mucky centers. I would slow down to ~50 MPH for lane changes but I would have had to do that with snow tires anyhow. Also yesterday, I was in Oswego, NY yesterday when they got 14+" and these tires handled the deeper snow with ease.

Buy from Discounttiredirect when they're offering all of their rebates. You can get around $100-$150 in prepaid Visa Cards. Or More Dollars if you buy at the right time. I have gotten as much as $170.

In rare cases, when they double their rebates, you can get as much as $220 back!

we have a DT close by, will give it a shot! good idea! thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back