UOA Syn VS Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering in a UOA same weight oil same engine etc.. Is there a huge diffrence in wear.. I mean is it enough for me to run the store and by some syn. oil cause my engine might run 50K miles longer with it than dino. or is the diffrence that great

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
I was wondering in a UOA same weight oil same engine etc.. Is there a huge diffrence in wear.. I mean is it enough for me to run the store and by some syn. oil cause my engine might run 50K miles longer with it than dino. or is the diffrence that great

No one really knows. And UOA's don't pick up on engine wear.

Synthetics to me,seem like a good choice if you have a high performance car and you like to drive it like you stole it :^)

If you go too long with a dino - leave it in longer than you should, you may see greater wear than with the synth at the same long miles.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: crazycrak

No one really knows. And UOA's don't pick up on engine wear.

After doing a lot of reading on this site, UOA's don't have much value in picking up on engine wear. There really is no way of telling which is better unless you do an engine tear down.

You won't notice much difference except in Winter cold start issues and maybe a slight fuel economy gain (.8-1.2 mpg) from synthetics in the short term. Long term I believe synthetics keep your engine cleaner which I think is why people believe their engines last longer. Synthetics handle heat better and are less likely to sludge.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
If you go too long with a dino - leave it in longer than you should, you may see greater wear than with the synth at the same long miles.

Originally Posted By: PT1
You won't notice much difference except in Winter cold start issues and maybe a slight fuel economy gain (.8-1.2 mpg) from synthetics in the short term. Long term I believe synthetics keep your engine cleaner which I think is why people believe their engines last longer. Synthetics handle heat better and are less likely to sludge.

Exactamundo. People who go a bit long on conventional oil, brag about the cost, and truthfully say they never have a problem, probably aren't fibbing. I do know I would be sick of changing oil if I used conventional oil. However, in my experienced opinion (35 years) I think some may not exactly know how clean/dirty their engines are. Not saying they are the road to ruin and their cars probably will go to 500K, but so will mine and I only change my oil at 10K-20K miles and when the weather is nice, plus my engines are still clean.

I for one agreed with Pablo. If syn cost as low as dino I would bet you every one would use syn instead of dino. COST is major obstacle to every that why they keep asking about syn versus dino.

Originally Posted By: klvaleri
I for one agreed with Pablo. If syn cost as low as dino I would bet you every one would use syn instead of dino. COST is major obstacle to every that why they keep asking about syn versus dino.

thumbsup2.gif
I also agree. If GP II/II+ and synthetic were the same price, there would be few that used anything except the synthetics(III/IV)

I use synthetics in everything including diesel tractor, gasoline tractors, lawn mowers, motorcycles, transmission fluid, gear lube, everything. My main reason is cleanliness and high temperature protection.

UOA do show engine wear if you read it correctly Iron, copper, lead, aluminium, read in PPM over a period of time will indicate wear or the lack of it. At the begining of engine life metal will shed more than in the middle of engine life, and at the end of engine life the PPM will escalate and show accelerated wear.
Problem is that nobody seems to find it worth doing UOA over engine life especially if you change oil every 3 months.
that does not mean that UOA has no validity, just means they ignore the information that UOA can give you way in advance
35.gif

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
Originally Posted By: klvaleri

thumbsup2.gif
I also agree. If GP II/II+ and synthetic were the same price, there would be few that used anything except the synthetics(III/IV)

I use synthetics in everything including diesel tractor, gasoline tractors, lawn mowers, motorcycles, transmission fluid, gear lube, everything. My main reason is cleanliness and high temperature protection.

Throw my in here too! Cold winters, longer OCI and less time under the vehicles on the cold concrete (yeah I need a creeper). It sounds a little strange, but I also like less waste that needs to be recycled. Synthetic gets changed 2x a year, versus 3 a year for dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back