UOA Duramax with Amsoil AME

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Normal" wear is not a fixed number for all situations. Many things play into what is considered "normal".

Do you tow often?
Do you tow heavy?
Do you use a tuner?
What specific engine family is being reviewed? (PSD, Dmax, ISB, TDI, etc)
What ambient temps?
Short trips or long hauls?

Given what Otto shared, he's fine.

Well, there are many Dmax UOAs here, and over at http://www.dieselplace.com that you can peruse. Just about every sub-species of engine has its own support site.

Overall, a Dmax is extremely easy on oil; probably the easiest of the big three light duty diesels. You really have to just read a large quantity of UOAs to get a feeling for what is "normal" and not. I have a study of over 135 diesel HDEO UOAs, and I just keep adding them into my statistical database as they come available.

There are certain trends that distinguish each engine family, overall. The HEUI systems from Ford/Navistar and Cat tend to shear oil of heavier grades. The little TDI engines from VW tend to throw a lot of Fe, (regardless of how hard or easy they are run), but yet it never seems to hurt them at all. The Dmax engines throw a lot of Cu early in their lives, (suspected from the oil cooler), but continually turn in stellar results after they settle in.

Operational patterns also have generic trends; heavy towing or long hot idling can throw Fe. Prolonged idling at cold temps can "wet stack" the diesels, although this is a reduced concern in common rail engines (but not eliminated).

Improper maintenance or service plans can show up in UOAs. There was a guy over at DP that had HUGE wear metals from his Amsoil lube and bypass system combination. He was concerned it was a problem with Amsoil products. But the numbers were just too high to blame the oil. Turned out, with help from myself and some other knowledgeable people, that we dianosed his problem to his bypass system; HE HAD PLUMBED IT IN REVERSE! and was getting nearly zero flow in his Dmax (The full flow filter was not flowing due to the ADBV doing it's job, and the bypass filter cannot flow near enough fluid for "normal" operation, so the bulk of his oil was venting via the pump relief!

But there is not a single "guide" you can look up. Blackstone has running "universal averages" they provide in a UOA, or will quote if you need some specific info and call them as a customer. I'm sure OA and other serivces have similar info.

Stick around, read a lot, then read more. Ask questions when stuff is unclear to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back