Unused Pentius PFB65606 Fuel Filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this filter for my mom's Saturn Vue, but turns out that it does not have a serviceable fuel filter (even though Amazon, Rock Auto, and all other parts stores says it does).
Amazon just refunded my money and told me to keep it, so I figured I would cut it open.

It was made in ROC, but it seems to be a sturdy built filter. I used my dremel to cut it open, and it used 1/2 a reinforced wheel to cut it open, I usually can use it on 3-4 oil filters with one disk (larger filter at that), so the shell is thick and strong.

Here is the box:

Cut open:

Why is there a spring in here? For assembly reasons?

All apart, does not look too bad:

Here is the crimp, hmm, it does not go all the way to the bottom:

Well that is not right. I did not have to force this through, there was no seal for about 1/4 inch:

So just goes to show you never know what your going to get with these things. I thought it was good, but I was wrong. Glad I was not able use it. The media was very thick and sturdy, but with a hole like that in it, it does not matter.

I have a Pentius filter on my truck that is coming off tomorrow (have a Fram in the garage for it). I was not really worried about using it, but now I am. I luckily know I have a clean tank (replaced the fuel pump and cleaned the tank a month ago).

I personally would have had no problems running this. That tiny hole would not have caused every single piece of dirt and rust to get to the engine. I imagine it would have done its job perfectly. However, yes for peace of mind, i would have rathered it had glue or have the crimp go all the way.

I've used a Pentius filter on a Subaru I worked on, they seem like alright filters to me. Not as close to OEM quality, but I'd use with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back