Uniroyal Tiger Paw HRs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone comment on Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring HR?

I want a quality tire that is not too noisy, smooth, H rated and not premium priced like Michelins. They are half the price of Michelins.

i'm not a fan.

they are decent tires in the dry, none too good in the wet.

kumho's are better and even cheaper.

I'll second the recommendation for Kumhos. They're good and cheap. I put a set of Kumho Ecsta HP4s on my wife's '94 Volvo 944 turbo (205/60-15). Excellent wet traction, H-rated and $43 apiece from Tire Rack. Can't beat that.

What you going to put them on?

I've got a set on my Chrysler minivan. As noted, a decent enough, cheap, all season touring tire. Also quiet, but I can't comment on it's turn-in "feel" or handling capability as they're mounted on a big old fashion American cruiser.

Where they do just fine.

However, I would not want them on my Miata, or anything else where I desire the best road feel.

Consumer Reports rated them, too, after I made my purchase. They said they were only OK. Came in at the bottom of the heap, but they were in the same pool with the Toyo T1-S and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, some of the very best 3 season performance tires.

Which they're not. They are an all season touring tire.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike242GT:
I'll second the recommendation for Kumhos. They're good and cheap. I put a set of Kumho Ecsta HP4s on my wife's '94 Volvo 944 turbo (205/60-15). Excellent wet traction, H-rated and $43 apiece from Tire Rack. Can't beat that.

I'll third the recommendation for the Kumhos. I have the HP4 in 205/55/16 and I love them. Great traction both wet and dry, they're quiet, and they wear great. They do ride a little rough, but that's probably entirely related to the fact I keep almost 40lbs in them and they are lower profile.... I sure wouldn't want them with any less sidewall than I have though.

They are destined for a 1989 4 door Acura Legend. Ultimate handling is not a priority here.
The Michelin MXV4s are starting to have surface cracks even though the tread is only about 2/3 worn with over 120,000 kms on them. At the rate Michelins wear and the newer ones are even longer lived, the car will definitely not be around before new Michelins wear out. Hence the search for an inexpensive tire.

quote:

t the rate Michelins wear and the newer ones are even longer lived, the car will definitely not be around before new Michelins wear out.

I find that strange/amusing, as my accord came with mxv4 tires and they barely lasted 22,000 miles with very little driving.

I've had both tigerpaw hr and kumho hp4 716 (205/60/15) on my car and I'd rather have the kumho. I feel safer in the wet with them, plus they are cheaper. Emergency handling is much better also.

If you're looking for a quiet ride, try VISA tires. Produced by falken and are VERY quiet.

My MXV4s were Made In Japan. That could be the difference.

I can attest to having bad experiences with Michelin with the MXV4 Plus made in USA. I had one changed out on warranty supposedly a rare event.

Well, I've had good and bad luck with these tires. I had them in a 195/60R14 on my saturn replacing the stock 175/70R14's. This car, being very light, did well with these tires. However my current car, 01 Golf TDI with upgraded injectors, is a heavier car and simply has too much torque for these tires to handle. I end up spinning them through first and second with any application of power.

--Matt

Just ripped the rear tires off my Elantra going through a construction zone. Wallyworld gave me a good adjustment on two BFG Extentias which are a stock tire, unlike the Tiger Paws.

Should have gotten slightly more than 40K on the Tiger Paws. They were a superior tire to the original Michelin MVX's at about half the price. I doubt if the Extentias (a Wal-Mart only tire) will give me as much mileage as the Tiger Paws. I think the rating is 360 v. 420 for the Tiger Paws. All in all the Tiger Paws are about the best Wal-Mart deal, but would think that Kumho Ecstas would be even better for less $$$. That's what I was planning to get when the Paws got nailed. Should get another 8K (to about 40K) on the front Tiger Paws.

The Excentias do seem quieter than the Tiger Paws or the Michelins (which were really annoying on concrete).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back