Underhood Insulation

Hi, looking for thoughts and recommendations on under hood insulation for a diesel.

My old diesel Rover's under hood insulation has had it.... A new one from Rover may not be readily available here, and may cost more to ship then then the item itself. I am looking at the various stick on products out there.

I am mostly concerned about quality and durability than noise reduction, it is a noisy vintage diesel, but that would be a benefit.

Thanks.

I bought foil backed, stiff fiberglass paneling from a HVAC shop to box out exposed air conditioning ducts.
It was 3/4" to 1" thick as I recall.
It cut well and installed perfectly.
Were I in need of underhood insulation (...and I always assumed that the insulation was there to protect the hood's paint) I'd use that paneling.

It doesn't make a huge difference. Ours had sagged onto the engine and soaks up a fair amount of oil from the leaking rocker cover gasket. My Wife drove outs flat out up an incline for 4-5miles and the turbo got so hot it set fire to the saggy, oil soaks bonnet lining.

I've not replaced it and not noticed any sound changes. Although the 300TDi is probably slightly more refined than yours.

Hi, looking for thoughts and recommendations on under hood insulation for a diesel.

My old diesel Rover's under hood insulation has had it.... A new one from Rover may not be readily available here, and may cost more to ship then then the item itself. I am looking at the various stick on products out there.

I am mostly concerned about quality and durability than noise reduction, it is a noisy vintage diesel, but that would be a benefit.

Thanks.

eBay has some cut to fit under hood insulation - and some clips …

Back