Undercoating my own car..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that rustproofing every 4 months is nuts. Use Fluid Film or the Texaco Rustproof compound and you'll be good for 2-3 years.

If it's still to much trouble to rustproof a vehicle, then don't do it. Let the vehicle rust. The choice is yours.

I just think it's irresponsible for people to think of POR-15 - or any other treatment - as a permanent panacea for rust problems on vehicles that are driven daily in the winter. How much experience do these people that post here have with these products and treatment methods? How long do they keep their vehicles? I have 26 years experience with the Texaco product, with winter vehicles driven daily for as long as 19 years. How many people do you know have kept their winter vehicle (in Michigan) for 19 years without looking like swiss cheese?

The POR-15 won't work for rust proofing. It's just paint. It's a rust preventative paint. And rust can still be active under the paint. Check it in a few yrs. As well, the rust will continue on the other side of the metal, where one could spray rust proof with an attachment to get the back side. The problem is, that the POR15 won't creep into the cracks and seems where the rust really starts. Eg. 2 jointed pieces of metal, the rust will usually start somewhere at the joint where moisture can get 'trapped'.

A flowable rustproofing is the best as it SEEPS in, and won't BLOCK passages completely to let water POOL in jointed areas or cracks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back