Undercoating my own car..

Status
Not open for further replies.
With my Saturn, I take a garden hose with a nozzle on it and power wash the underside/frame of the car every Spring. It does have a little rust on the underside, but then again it's inevitable around here.

I'd go the Rustoleum route. I have a 2001 Cavalier and when I got it new I taped a plastic drop cloth over the exterior and garbage bagged the wheels, jacked it up and spray painted rusty metal primer on all the bare metal and then sprayed the entire undercarrage (and muffler) with black Rustoleum. I used 10 cans of spray paint and then let it dry in the garage for a few days.
I spray it off underneath with water a few times during the winter with a water hose attached to a piece of copper pipe 3 feet long with a 90 degree bend on the tip with the tip squeezed so it will make a good strong water stream. . I also (prior to winter) put a layer of grease on the inside/bottom of the doors and spray down the door hinge area and flat areas in the engine bay (where water will sit)with oil. So far after 7 years it is rustfree and this is in Cleveland, Ohio weather with rock salt and salt brine turing the streets white for 5 mounts out of the year.

A friend has used Rustoleum on his 94 Town and Country that has spent its entire life in central New York. He touches it up every now and again. It seems to be working well, since it has not gotten any rustier since I have last seen it.

I use Amsoil HD metal protector for my undercoating. I used it last year before winter and the stuff is awesome. I had to use Brake Clean to remove it from the frame and various areas that I sprayed it on this year so that I could hit some areas where the paint flaked off from rock chips. It is more of a wax once it dries, and can also be used as a chain lube for motorcycles. FYI, it is also a p.i.t.a to get off the garage floor and driveway. It replels water and salt spray with ease.

For..awhile, I've been spraying the undersides with linseed oil. My pickup is a 92, in NWPA, and is in very good shape. Messy with an unforgettable aroma.

I've dissolved/thinned the petroleum wax seal that's used for toilets and sprayed it with one of those handheld airless sprayers. Be sure to cover the brake areas from over spray/mist.

The wax remains flexible at freezer temps, roughly 0f deg.

Might add a little fresh oil for added corrosion control/wetting next time.

I have a stone driveway with a spring running under it. My bought new 1989 F-150 rusted so bad that after 8 years the rear frame could not hold the rear gas tank. I bought a new 2002 F-150 and since 2004 have been using a product a called LPS #3 Rust Inhibitor. It's a waxy liquid. Once a year, in the Fall, I get under the truck and brush and hand spray the the frame and body. It goes on easily and seems to really protect the metal. Last time I purchased it was 2005 and it cost around $35/gallon. A little goes along way.

Whimsey

I may go the Rustoleum route on a gas tank to keep it from getting any worse. This is with the tank dropped from the car and trying to get all areas on the exterior.

Man, reading this post makes me really very grateful that I live here in sunny Western Central Florida. Well, it's sunny most of the time. During the summer it will rain every day about 3 or 4 PM, for about 5 minutes. Then it's humid for a while. No offense but you guys can keep all the ice and snow and road salts and undercoating up north.

After a thorough sanding and replacing of rusted areas, I sprayed mine with a primer and a waterbased plastic undercoating
db_DSCN1727__Small_3.jpg

db_2008-2-20_006__Small_4.jpg

This Texaco undercoating is the best stuff ever made. My Dad had his 1980 Ford truck done when it was new and 23 years later there was still no rust. It is a little messy to work on your vehicle for the first 1 1/2 years since you will get grease on you, but it's well worth the longevitiy you'll get on your car. New cars are treated from the factory and don't seem to rust easily. I had a Windstar for 10 years in Michigan winters and it had minimal rust. It couldn't hurt though to have a new car done also. There used to be a place called Snyders in Redford MI that applied this undercoating. I would love to know if anyone still applies it today. If anyone knows where you can buy this in Michigan, let me know.

Thanks, Jim

Originally Posted By: 427ford
This Texaco undercoating is the best stuff ever made. My Dad had his 1980 Ford truck done when it was new and 23 years later there was still no rust. It is a little messy to work on your vehicle for the first 1 1/2 years since you will get grease on you, but it's well worth the longevitiy you'll get on your car. New cars are treated from the factory and don't seem to rust easily. I had a Windstar for 10 years in Michigan winters and it had minimal rust. It couldn't hurt though to have a new car done also. There used to be a place called Snyders in Redford MI that applied this undercoating. I would love to know if anyone still applies it today. If anyone knows where you can buy this in Michigan, let me know.

Thanks, Jim

427/Jim,
Do they(HGWY DEPT.) use salt on the roads in Mich.
NYS uses tons with the exception of some towns.

Jim, I believe the local Texaco product distributor is in Melvindale. I don't know which local shops use this compound. Maybe you can call the distributor and ask them which commercial shops use their product.

Char Baby, they still use salt in Michigan. One recent development this season is that they started to spray a brine solution on the road instead of spreading rock salt. Often this is spread before a snow. The brine solution is more effective in melting snow and ice, and they can use less salt. Less salt means spending less money on deicing, and it's better for the environment.

That brine solution is harder on vehicles than rock salt. Ever since they started spraying that on the roads up here, we have been having alot more wiring problems with the trucks. It is almost impossible to get off the windshield with washer fluid as well.

Good to see this topic re-opened guys. I'm going to do my next experiment in the spring with the Gear Oil, we'll see how this goes. Used engine oil is still working for me with the mixed marine grease (melted in a walmart tea kettle).

And what's with this kids post from Florida - trying to boost his own courage. Not something for a mechanics forum for sure :)

Yeah, and that TC-11 says to re-apply every 4months. No thanks, I would rather use por-15 and forget about it forever.

True, but who is going to undercoat their car every 4 months. Heck, people dont even wax their car that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back