Washing under car at self-service wash (salt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Howto_101
Originally Posted by demarpaint
demarpaint said:
Howto_101 said:
demarpaint said:
I made one of these [Homemade Undercarriage Washer] which was posted on this site before. It works well.

I recommend turning the volume down.

I used it yesterday. They salt roads in anticipation of snow early in the season, even if the odds of snow are 1 in a 10,000. That occurs on Sunday's and Holidays because they're double time pay days. Then when there's no money in the budget and it does snow we have problems. LOL Anyway we got flurries [for about 30 seconds], a few days ago and they salted the roads. Out came the wand to wash that crap off. Keep up the good work!

Thank you!! and Yeah, they do the same around me! its impossible to keep up, once you finally give your car a good washing they are salting or putting the brine on the roads again haha we got about 3 inches the other day and it all froze so it was basically just sheets of ice so they basically painted the roads white with the brine and salt so I'm going to wash mine today and use the undercarriage washer!

LOL Well at least they put it on ice. When they salt roads when it is flurrying, and the expected temps are mid 30's to low 40's and clear that just screams waste to me.

Howto_101 said:
demarpaint said:
Howto_101 said:
demarpaint said:
I made one of these [Homemade Undercarriage Washer] which was posted on this site before. It works well.

I recommend turning the volume down.

LOL Well at least they put it on ice. When they salt roads when it is flurrying, and the expected temps are mid 30's to low 40's and clear that just screams waste to me.

Haha yeah that definitely seems like a total waste and annoyance as that stuff kills our cars haha

Most of the quick shop type gas stations have drive thru car wash. The first thing is an under body wash as you drive in. Gets most of the salt off. No use doing it until road surface are dry which is kind of rare as as soon as they dry it seems more snow comes. I might get 1 wash in during the months fom Dec to march. I wash it really good once fair weather comes in about mid March.Many of the auto washes will not open unless outside temp is above 40.Though a few bigger places have heated wash areas

I dunno. During most of the winter, as soon as I get a few miles from the car wash, the vehicle is dirty and salty all over again. It's gotta be a dry road day before I'll waste the resources and chances of dry roads are far and few between from November until March. There's so many plastic aerodynamic panels under cars nowadways, what are you really going to get at anyway?

Last edited:
I just washed the van yesterday even thought they were calling for snow overnight because I had so much salt on the body and the windows it looked like a white van (it's black) and it was hard to see out the windows. Especially with the sticky de-icing fluid they spray locally. That stuff should be developed into rust proofing minus the salt because it's super sticky. Even the car-wash had a tough time getting it off the glass without leaving a haze where the wipers don't wipe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Malo83
Do it yourself with a lawn sprinkler, just idle back and forth over the sprinkler moving side to side.

May not work in a Minnesota winter.
wink.gif

It's too cold here to go out and handwash the cars. We're expecting some snow early this week. Once the roads dry out later on in the week, I'll be hitting up the local touchless wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back