Unconventional paint protection.

1. I have always been a fan of alternatives. Not as far as re-inventing the wheel, but far enough to expand my tunnel vision on certain things.
  2. The vehicle with patina has been missing clear coat for about a decade, if not longer. I'm just looking for products that preserve the patina, and prevent rust from expanding any quicker.
  3. Cars that do have clear coat usually get automotive products. But after seeing some people use hair conditioner to preserve the paint, I just can't help but wonder if there are any other household products that give the paint shine and protection, without causing any harm to it. Believe it or not, but not everyone has shopping centers close by. Meaning that if Walmart is ~40 mins away, and the weather is nice, then I'll probably wash the car and throw some household stuff to shine up the paint (as long as I know that it does not hurt the paint in the long run), instead of wasting a ~couple hours roundtrip to get automotive wax.
3. There's this new fangled thing called the internet, and believe it or not, it's chock full of retailers that ship products right to your door! Often, for less than what you'd pay at a retail store! Wow!

3. There's this new fangled thing called the internet, and believe it or not, it's chock full of retailers that ship products right to your door! Often, for less than what you'd pay at a retail store! Wow!
Feel free to take advantage of it!
But I'm more of a value-per-dollar type of guy... And I don't mind some alternatives. So if someone sells a unicorn juice for $120/quart online, but I can get similar or better results with a $25/gallon product from a local store, then why bother with online stuff?

Do any sealants/coatings/waxes provide measurable UV Protection, or do we apply these products strictly for ease of maintenance?
None provide meaningful UV protection. Dmitry's Garage on YouTube has tested many and every product has failed. Only 2k clearcoat and PPF have shown UV protection.

I don't know how one would measure it but Optimum Spray Wax claims UV protection for up to 5 months. I'm sure there are others.
It's basically a lie, a few people have tried to measure/test it and it shows no real ability to inhibit UV despite Optimum's claims. All these products that claim UV protection are really just talking about the UV inhibitors or antioxidants that they include to prevent their product from being degraded over the short term.

It's basically a lie, a few people have tried to measure/test it and it shows no real ability to inhibit UV despite Optimum's claims. All these products that claim UV protection are really just talking about the UV inhibitors or antioxidants that they include to prevent their product from being degraded over the short term.
Either that, or the mere increase in gloss deflects some amount of UV.

Either that, or the mere increase in gloss deflects some amount of UV.
Seems like it would be a meaningless amount. That guy on YouTube put ceramic coatings, spray sealants, waxes, etc. on painted test chips and put them in a box with a UV source compared to a clearcoated chip and a control. The coated and waxed chips come out just as bad as the control. The 2k clear chip does age less. PPF also did well.

Back