Unconventional paint protection.

1) I have seen many people use Boiled Linseed Oil mixed with Mineral Spirits for Patina paint protection. Interesting combo, but seems to work. I plan to try that on my 1978 Chevy Van Contempo conversion, since it has patina and rust spots. Always remember to dispose of rags properly. Either burn, or wash with dishsoap before throwing away, as Linseed oil soaked rags will heat up as they dry and may start a fire.

2) As far as paint that still has clear coat over it - I have seen people use regular hair conditioner, and no ill effects (yet) either, as far as I know.

Question: Using the couple examples above, are there any other paint protection products, that are initially not meant for automotive paint, yet prove to be successful?

P.S. Skip the cooking oils, as they attract/trap too much dust to be considered successful. Although Olive oil does seem to work for some people as interior plastic protection... Not my "cup of tea" though.

Last edited:
I've read about using WD40 on auto paint to cover scratches and to make it shine. Not something I'd care to do though.

I've read about using WD40 on auto paint to cover scratches and to make it shine. Not something I'd care to do though.
Oh yea, a dirty little trick of many low level car dealers. Good thing the smell doesn't vent out that easy, so it is easy to spot crappy paint that has been enhanced by WD40.

Why? Detailing products can be had cheap enough
Well, the cheap detailing products don't last longer than a virgin fella on his first time... With that in mind why spend money on extra detailing stuff when I may already have something in the house that lasts just as long (or longer), but can also be used for other household purposes? Kinda like hair conditioner.

1) I have seen many people use Boiled Linseed Oil mixed with Mineral Spirits for Patina paint protection. Interesting combo, but seems to work. I plan to try that on my 1978 Chevy Van Contempo conversion, since it has patina and rust spots. Always remember to dispose of rags properly. Either burn, or wash with dishsoap before throwing away, as Linseed oil soaked rags will heat up as they dry and may start a fire.

2) As far as paint that still has clear coat over it - I have seen people use regular hair conditioner, and no ill effects (yet) either, as far as I know.

Question: Using the couple examples above, are there any other paint protection products, that are initially not meant for automotive paint, yet prove to be successful?

P.S. Skip the cooking oils, as they attract/trap too much dust to be considered successful. Although Olive oil does seem to work for some people as interior plastic protection... Not my "cup of tea" though.
Too much hassle imo. The Boiled Linseed Oil/Mineral Spirits concoction mixed wrong would probably be a dust and dirt collection processing center. I'd pass. As a coating on the undercarriage it might help prevent rust.

Do any sealants/coatings/waxes provide measurable UV Protection, or do we apply these products strictly for ease of maintenance?

Do any sealants/coatings/waxes provide measurable UV Protection, or do we apply these products strictly for ease of maintenance?
I don't know how one would measure it but Optimum Spray Wax claims UV protection for up to 5 months. I'm sure there are others.

All oils will attract dirt and dust. It’s a horrible idea.

Use the proper products to keep your vehicle clean and looking good.

So adding a solvent to boiled liseed oil? WD40? Why? You have no idea how these chemicals react with your clear coat. These chemicals may seem to work in the short run, but in a few years your clear coat may peel and flake off. Stop trying to cheap out using homemade concotions and stick with products designed and tested to not harm your vehicles finish. Todays clear coats are softer due to reduced VOC and some are water based. Yea you save $10 and ruin a $ 10000 paint job great thinking.

So adding a solvent to boiled liseed oil? WD40? Why? You have no idea how these chemicals react with your clear coat. These chemicals may seem to work in the short run, but in a few years your clear coat may peel and flake off. Stop trying to cheap out using homemade concotions and stick with products designed and tested to not harm your vehicles finish. Todays clear coats are softer due to reduced VOC and some are water based. Yea you save $10 and ruin a $ 10000 paint job great thinking.
  1. I have always been a fan of alternatives. Not as far as re-inventing the wheel, but far enough to expand my tunnel vision on certain things.
  2. The vehicle with patina has been missing clear coat for about a decade, if not longer. I'm just looking for products that preserve the patina, and prevent rust from expanding any quicker.
  3. Cars that do have clear coat usually get automotive products. But after seeing some people use hair conditioner to preserve the paint, I just can't help but wonder if there are any other household products that give the paint shine and protection, without causing any harm to it. Believe it or not, but not everyone has shopping centers close by. Meaning that if Walmart is ~40 mins away, and the weather is nice, then I'll probably wash the car and throw some household stuff to shine up the paint (as long as I know that it does not hurt the paint in the long run), instead of wasting a ~couple hours roundtrip to get automotive wax.

A few years back, I saw the NHRA crews using Pledge on their funny car bodies. So I started looking at some of the chemicals they keep on hand, and sure enough a lot had a can or two of Pledge around. Quick and easy! I have never tried it on any of my cars, but this thread reminded me to try it sometime, maybe on the old Volvo, as the hood, trunk, and roof are a bit faded.

Digging into this topic again, and this time I'm quite attracted to ZEP Floor Polish, mainly due to price and the following video. I like how natural the finish looks, compared to super glossy patina products.

1000019122.jpg

For a rat rod, linseed oil seems a good choice. Before it dries it creeps into the rust to keep out moisture and air and then it dries to a resinous film. It stinks, though, and as you mentioned, there is an exciting potential for unwanted combustion.

Back