Unbelievable 18 Hour Detail On Filthy Kia Minivan

I can't imagine less than 2k to do that.

Wonder what @RooflessVW would charge.

Some I think would rightfully refuse to even do it. I'd want 75% cash up front before starting.
It looks like the OP is missing the video?

If it was a Detail Geek video, probably $1000 interior only. I won't do live bugs.

This is about as gross as I like to get into:

0418211301_HDR.jpg

0419211612_HDR.jpg

How hard is it to remove the seats, consul, and unplug everything in these modern, newer vehicles?

It’s not. Four bolts and a wiring harness usually. Probably want to disconnect the battery if the seats have airbags.

Just to put this is into perspective he probably charged about 1.5-2k for the detail but the video will make roughly 3k per million views, and he has 3M subscribers. The dirtier the better when it comes to viewership.

He unbolted the front seats. Don’t know if that would fly in the USA due to liability issues. Interesting he would not change to a broader vacuum tool on the more-open areas. Luckily he had a grate and drain in his garage.

He unbolted the front seats. Don’t know if that would fly in the USA due to liability issues. Interesting he would not change to a broader vacuum tool on the more-open areas. Luckily he had a grate and drain in his garage.
Why wouldn't it be fine to remove the seats?

The more narrow tool gives you higher velocity. It pulls things out of the fibers better. I use a crevice tool in almost all scenarios.

1) The rule in the Bucolic City is, NO FOOD in vehicles as it attracts mice.

2) Meile (the German appliance manufacturer) had a small shop and the owner had a beautiful steam/vacuum rig on sale. However, the availability of parts for any Meile product was completely unknown to me so I didn't buy it. The wee shop closed shortly thereafter so I felt 'smart'.

3) A lady asked for help changing a headlamp bulb and her car's interior was packed solidly with fast food wrappers. There was just enough room for her body and elbows to steer. Sad.

Roofless, you are more than welcome to take your car in for detailing and have a typical detailer wrench on your car seats. The guy is not a mechanic. Hopefully he puts all the nuts back on.

There are also all of the electrical connections. Yes, it's all plugs, and shouldn't present a problem. But what if something isn't connected correctly, or else comes loose? Is the vehicle going to start throwing codes or warning lights? Or what if an airbag doesn't deploy?

I realize there is no other way to properly clean a vehicle interior that is allowed to get that filthy. But new cars are all but a nightmare of wires, harnesses, and connections. And a lot of these cars now have heated seats, which is even more wiring.

Roofless, you are more than welcome to take your car in for detailing and have a typical detailer wrench on your car seats. The guy is not a mechanic. Hopefully he puts all the nuts back on.
Man it's like 4 bolts. He's done enough cars to know how to take a seat out and I'm sure he's insured.

Hand-wringing over seat bolts, sheesh.

took this guy 18 hours
not a detailer but just went thru one abandon on property from an initial "I wanna break job" 2yrs ago. This one was just as bad but
totally packed w/"stuff" to the roof & (is a crv) back part. Hauled out 15 contractor sz trash bags B4 even starting the process seen in vid. No 18 hrs either. Same result ! Is this just due to sz difference? May B, but doubtful. (Admittedly I did Not clay bar.) But he's a wimpster if disgusted. I attacked in heavy boots'n wrk clothing (I'm more toward mechanic on most daze) & every cubby, ash tray, etc hada mouse house (read: over all van smell of mouse piss'n mold). That's Y I hada mask - dangerous to ur health. I went onto engine bay & minor tune up (2, 3 dead long tails in the crv's air-box). The boxes bags, books, record albums, trash-on-the-way-to-the-dump left mold in tricolors. After 2 yrs of tryin to get the title (owner going thru 1/2way house. Not interested in vehicle) staff finally sez "OK we'll get title".

Now, we get : "I'm comin to get the stuff outta my crv. I'll bring U the title." What a crock. I put most the stuff back in (entirely in bags now) onto the clean surfaces. If she wants it back - all the storage fees, mail costs, telephoning, tryin to get some feedback/answers, etc accrue. Answ to other poster's Q? I'll add $300 for the cleaning. Nota pro but prepped for sale or nxt owner.

If she takes the car (pretty doubtful) I'll profit from the lessons in vid: steamer, 303 protectorate, and lighting fast w/battery drill brush & extractor follow up. So thank U 4 dat !

Last edited:
Back