Unable To Play Burned CD's in Car Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
In the end, it's easier to just replace the unit with one that has an AUX jack or Bluetooth capability. Since mechanical parts (CD player) are no longer needed you can go "mechless" and not even have to spend much money.

In this case, that would be a serious mistake.

The SC-901 CD-changer/Tape/Am/Fm is no ordinary, cheap OEM unit. They were custom built by Alpine in Japan specifically for the high-end audio system Volvo designed along with Alpine, Dolby, and Dynaudio. The unit is custom EQ'd for each vehicle (wagon, sedan, convertible & coupe) it was featured in. So it's not just a collection of parts, thrown together but rather a system, specifically designed for each vehicle, the interior cabin space carefully measured for acoustic response, then a custom EQ ckt designed to achieve the smoothest sound possible for each body configuration.

It was the first car manufacturer in the world, to feature Dolby certified surround sound. Many others had tried, but Dolby wouldn't allow their name to be used. Dolby even designed a center channel surround sound controller due to Volvo's committment to get it right. Unlike in a home, in a car the designers know exactly where passengers will sit, exactly how much volume is available, decide exactly where the drivers will be placed and the materials used inside. Low freq gain lift is phenomenal in such an environment. Thus it was used to its best advantage.

Finally, Dynaudio drivers are right up there near the top with SEAS, VIFA, FOCAL and Scan-Speak. All top European manufacturers. No foam surrounds in their drivers! Furthermore, their voice coils are 4" in diameter! Many drivers used in cars don't even have cones that large, much less VC's. No cheap, stamped baskets that ring like a bell either. It's a shame they have to be hidden.

This series of cars was very rare to have such a system specifically designed for them. After the design & manufacturing work was completed and the necessary bugs worked out, they first appeared in ....... 1998! Who'd of thought stodgy old Swedish Volvo would go to such lengths to design an audio system?

The same one who put a blower in a station wagon!

Great audio and boost, on board!

Is .wav out of the question? That should work in everything if I recall. And you can be period correct and have a swath of CD's in a cover on the sun shade too.
grin.gif

Rip your CD's into FLAC files then you can put the disk away and recode the file any way you want later. A FLAC file preserves bit for bit the sound on the original CD. They end up being 20-50 MB per song, but since memory costs are low now that is not a significant issue.

OP/Sleddriver,
i remember an option/checkbox to "close the disk" after writing is finished.
write with the slowest possible (2X) and even check the "verify" option
also do you have other cd-media blanks available (different mark/firm)? had a couple over the years only recognized only by computers...

Originally Posted By: pandus13
OP/Sleddriver,
i remember an option/checkbox to "close the disk" after writing is finished.
write with the slowest possible (2X) and even check the "verify" option
also do you have other cd-media blanks available (different mark/firm)? had a couple over the years only recognized only by computers...

Don't recall WMP having that option. I did wonder if the disk was closed or not. However, the CAL Icon reads it fine...even the one burned at high speed.

Go figure.......

Re: FLAC

Yeah....need to play with this a bit. Most of my previous experience was using highly compressed settings as I'd record football & baseball OTA, import into Audacity to remove commercials, then export to a small file size. IOW, haven't messed with High-Quality settings much. Still a CD user in the car.

Will do more experimenting.

Personally, i find that encoding to mp3 using the VBR2 setting results in good quality. Certainly good enough for listening in a busy environment such as inside car. Granted, my ears aren't as discriminating as they once were. I can't hear anything above 17 kHz anymore. VBR2 using LAME encoder cuts everything above 18.5 kHz and results in an average bitrate of about 190 kbps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back