Sources for higher quality audio (CD or DVD) disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having an issue with some of the current store bought CD offerings. I have a very SQ (sound quality) oriented system in my TL. When I had the stock system I couldn't tell much of a difference between FM radio, CDs, or MP3s. With the higher quality components, there's a world of difference to the point that I don't like to listen to FM and I don't listen to MP3s.

The problem here is I've noticed CD sound quality going down. Down almost to MP3 quality. I didn't spend thousands on a system or even $20 on a CD to listen to a low quality recording. At this rate, I'm going to start burning CDs for free off the internet.

There are some CDs that will blow your mind the quality is so clear than others that make me wish I stayed with the stock system.

I'm running the factory head unit but it has the capability to play audio DVDs which I use whenever possible since they can hold 99 CD quality songs.

Does anyone know of a website that I can either order CDs or DVDs of a higher quality or even download and burn myself? I have a DVD from a co-worker that's supposed to be studio quality and it's so big that only a few songs will fit on it. It makes people who are not into audio comment on how good it sounds. Unfortunately he acquired it from a friend that is no longer with us. Any help is much appreciated.

On a different topic, has anyone heard any official word on the sound quality change with CDs? Are they just getting cheap like everything else these days?

Well, I don't have an audio system, or ear for that matter that distinguishes much beyond wma files (half the bites of mp3 file). But what bugs me is that some CDs are much louder than others, and some are weak on bass. Just as the link states, the latest Johnny Winter CD (2004) is much louder than most of my other Johnny Winter CDs (I have 30). I am tempted to go on the music editor and back it off a bit on my wma files so it doesn't blast me when one of theat CD's songs comes on during shuffle.

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
It's all about how they were mastered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

It sucks, I know, but you're stuck.

Very, very good info. Thank you!

That explains everything just as I hear it. Especially when they mention the GnR album.

I have one Trisha Yearwood (don't laugh) album that sounds amazing, probably the clearest I own and it really stands out. One thing I've always noticed about that CD is I have to turn the volume up 30% more to get the same volume. This is fine as I have a few thousand watts but it's always stood out to me and makes a lot of sense.

Dire Straits - brothers in arms
Dire Straits - on every street

One of the better recorded albums I've owned. BIA is also available on a DVD-audio disc (5.1). Pretty good, too, but I think I still prefer the 2-channel original.

Quote:
I have one Trisha Yearwood (don't laugh) album that sounds amazing, probably the clearest I own and it really stands out. One thing I've always noticed about that CD is I have to turn the volume up 30% more to get the same volume. This is fine as I have a few thousand watts but it's always stood out to me and makes a lot of sense.

I've got a friend that does the sound setup and mixing at concerts (audio engineer, not a roadie.) When he sets up he always plays country even though he isn't a fan of it. He says its the best produced and best sounding from an audio standpoint; voices and instruments are clearest. He gets a lot of dirty looks playing Brad Paisley and Dixie Chicks at 95dB when setting up for a punk/rock concert.

BuickGN, Which Trisha CD is it? I have her 2nd CD, it has great SQ. I 100% agree with QP, Brothers in Arms is one of the absolute best CD's for SQ. Neal Morse "One" double CD has fantastic quality, too.

The lower volume ones seem to have the best SQ.

Conversely, for an example of awful quality as in too much loudness and clipping, Google Rush's "Vapor Trails" CD. This one definitely needs a remaster.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
BuickGN, Which Trisha CD is it? I have her 2nd CD, it has great SQ. I 100% agree with QP, Brothers in Arms is one of the absolute best CD's for SQ. Neal Morse "One" double CD has fantastic quality, too.

The lower volume ones seem to have the best SQ.

Conversely, for an example of awful quality as in too much loudness and clipping, Google Rush's "Vapor Trails" CD. This one definitely needs a remaster.

I can't remember which one it is, it has "in another's eyes" with Garth, "she's in love with the boy", "how do I live". It may be a greatest hits album. I'll have to look in the car tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Quote:

I've got a friend that does the sound setup and mixing at concerts (audio engineer, not a roadie.) When he sets up he always plays country even though he isn't a fan of it. He says its the best produced and best sounding from an audio standpoint; voices and instruments are clearest. He gets a lot of dirty looks playing Brad Paisley and Dixie Chicks at 95dB when setting up for a punk/rock concert.

I agree that country overall seems to have better SQ. Though the recent Jamie Johnson CD has the bass really overdone, even moreso than rap CDs. It's so bad that with a scale of -6 to +6 for the subs, I usually have it set at -2 to -1 for most music, -4 for most rap, and this country CD required it to be at -6, one step from being completely off.

And that would be funny with Dixie Chicks playing at a punk concert. While I like every type, the punk crowd seems a bit less tolerant.

some of the best CDs I have AFA sound quality goes:

Thirteenth Step - A Perfect Circle
Gretchen Lieberum - Siren Songs
Kendra Shank - Afterglow
the 2 dire straits CDs QP mentioned
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (original Harvest press)
Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder
Jonni Mitchell - Shine
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Dave Brubeck - Time out

I'm often disappointed by albums where the music is great but the sound quality is poor. I still enjoy them, but I can't enjoy them at full volume. CD-level compression is definitely not the issue, as I can compress a CD with good sound quality to only 192 kb/s (7 to 1) and bring it back and it will still sound good.

The albums with good sound quality tend to spend a much longer time in my road trip CD wallet than equally good music with poor sound quality. I had Silversun Pickups' newest disc Swoon cranked on my last road trip and I was thoroughly enjoying it!

I went out and compared CDs today after talking about this last night. Certain CDs have me reaching for the treble control to turn it all the way down. I have silk dome tweeters and they're far from harsh but it sounds so unbalanced like I have no midrange and it just flat out fatigues the ears. I played some of my favorite counrty and it was detailed and even at very high volumes it didn't bother my ears.

Brooks and Dunn sounds very good. I was playing it at concert levels and it was just crisp and clean. GnR I keep turned waaaay down as it sounds like I have a stock system only worse than stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back