Uh Oh, I put Mobil 1 High Mileage In A New Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 69sixpackbee
I had a thought. Seriously, I have always used M1 in my wifes '04 Dodge Stratus and it is due for an oil change. Maybe I will just do a transfusion of this oil in her car and put fresh M1 in my truck. All I know is the Mobil 1 is great stuff and I figure I cant go wrong whichever way I go.

Thanx!

You could do that, but really, you don't need to. The HMs are just very robust oils and very, very good. They can't "harm" an engine. In fact, were I to buy a new Toyota/Lexus today, I'd drop the factory fill out after a brief wear-in period and put in an M1 HM for long-term health. Run it however long you would otherwise

Originally Posted By: asker123
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Yes it has seal swellers. But they won't take effect for 10000 miles. So you will have dumped the oil by then I assume. Other than that it's a really good break in oil IMO
So you want to say that the seal swelling only start to work after 10000 miles after poring a high milage oil in an engine? How do you know this?
I have heard that the reason high mileage oil should not be put in a normal engine is that it will swell the seals so you have to allways use the high mileage oil going forward...

I should have said 10k to take full effect sorry yes that has been my experience it takes a couple oil changes to experience the full effects of hm oil..

15.gif

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: 69sixpackbee
I had a thought. Seriously, I have always used M1 in my wifes '04 Dodge Stratus and it is due for an oil change. Maybe I will just do a transfusion of this oil in her car and put fresh M1 in my truck. All I know is the Mobil 1 is great stuff and I figure I cant go wrong whichever way I go.

Thanx!

You could do that, but really, you don't need to. The HMs are just very robust oils and very, very good. They can't "harm" an engine. In fact, were I to buy a new Toyota/Lexus today, I'd drop the factory fill out after a brief wear-in period and put in an M1 HM for long-term health. Run it however long you would otherwise

It's a bad idea to use an HM oil in a new engine. It won't do any real harm for just one OCI, but if you keep using them the oil seals will suffer an increased wear rate due to an excess of seal swellers causing an increase in the seal to shaft pressure.

HM oils are supposed to be different to nomal oils as regards a higher level of seal swellers, detergents and anti-wear additives. They also tend to be at the top end of the SAE group they are in, so slightly thicker than most oils in the same group.
Whilst that might be true of the more expensive HM oils like the Mobil ones, about the only difference with cheaper HM oils is the seal sweller content.

An HM oil is very unlikely to produce better UOA results in a engine that is in good condition than a major brand full synthetic, as they often contain nearly the same anti wear and detergent contents.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
The seal swell agents work right away, and will soften seals , for the good or for the bad.

Mobil 1 High Mileage contains seal conditioners not seal swellers, as do all normal motor oils, it's my understanding that the high mileage oils carry a higher dose, I've heard roughly double.

Maybe Molakule can confirm that tidbit?

The EOS os only needed at best for the first few minutes after the initial startup and run and to help with the cam break in which isn't an issue in the over head cam engine. Yes drain the oil change the filter and go. The EOS isn't needed any more.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
The seal swell agents work right away, and will soften seals , for the good or for the bad.

Mobil 1 High Mileage contains seal conditioners not seal swellers, as do all normal motor oils, it's my understanding that the high mileage oils carry a higher dose, I've heard roughly double.

Right. The "seal swelling" is a bit of a myth. In fact, it's easy to test. Mic a garter seal from a shaft, drop it in a small bowl of HM oil and check back in six months. It won't be growing as if it were a seed...

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Should I be concerned?

No.

People worry too much

!!!!!!!3000th post!!!!!!!

Back in the day of car audio, there were detachable face radios. Well, you may wonder why someone would carry their face around. Then you wonder where that tech came from. I was gifted an audiovox where the entire cd player would detach from its wiring and you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back