Ugh quickly lube overfilled by an inch on the dipstick:(

In my truck with a 6.0 Vortec GM LQ4; the lube place seems like they overfilled by 1 inch on my dipstick. I checked many times on various diff surfaces once I got home. It originally takes 6 quarts for the engine but idk how much they put in.
I didn't care to check cuz I’ve never had this problem before.
It’s basically an inch above the hash marks on the dipstick.

so do I drain? Or what do I look for?

thx

You could get a transfer pump and stick it down the dipstick hole and pump a little out I guess. They probably put in a full 6 qts measured out of the bulk but there was probably a some oil left behind in the engine.

What if you just changed the filter? That should drain enough oil so its not overfilled

Rhanks!
But if I unscrew the oil filter, won’t oil keep leaking out and make a big mess if I don’t have a pan and stuff ready? Or am I wrong

take a pic of the dipstick with the oil line on it and post up for us to see. that will make it easier to recommend a course of action then

Suck it out of the dipstick tube, or bring it back and let them make it right. Just check for leaks after, in the event they screw something else up.

Rhanks!
But if I unscrew the oil filter, won’t oil keep leaking out and make a big mess if I don’t have a pan and stuff ready? Or am I wrong
Just go underneath with a pan, you can partially unscrew the drain plug but not totally and let it drip or you unscrew the drainplug for a second or two and screw it back in. Messy but it washes off and effective. I would rather have a oily hand than have to sacrifice an oil filter.
If you just had the oil changed, take it back and let them adjust the level and check it before you drive off.

Last edited:
Rhanks!
The oil inside the oil filter and the oil galleries up to the top of the intake manifold will drain out, but no more. Yes, you have to have a pan and yes it makes a mess, ( unless you buy an Oil Udder). Oil Udder guys, you owe me on. :)
Keep in mind, your dipstick enters the oil pan at an angle so one inch on the dipstick is less than one inch of oil level. I would not worry about it.

Last edited:
I wonder if it really matters. Back in the day some racers would intentionally add an extra quart to prevent starvation on the top end at high rpm's--not the case here, but dipsticks aren't precision instruments, and engines generally don't care if they are a quart low--or high. Only if the crank throws are hitting oil and causing aeration at idle (foaming).

If it really matters find a friend who can swap in a fresh new filter (which may be the problem, it wasn't changed, resulting in an overfill--that's a guess on my part but as good as any).

Reactions: JC1
I’m on the road so I can’t go back to the same shop. I crawled under and got some out. Should have drained more but what do you guys think now?
Sorry the photo isn’t the best but now it’s another 1 centimetre past full. The photo isn’t good. It’s still slightly overfilled but before it was literately 1 inch overfilled on the dipstick

Attachments

• 3B21F7B4-F5A6-4E27-BCA4-917449379655.jpeg
    3B21F7B4-F5A6-4E27-BCA4-917449379655.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 459
Last edited by a moderator:
Rhanks!
Depends on filter mounted position. Only oil you will see drain is what is in the filter. I don't think what oil is in the galleries will account for much.

Back