UGH... Mobil 1 15w50

Ok... before lovers start to respond.... I love M1 15w50. Before haters respond... I also hate m1 15w50.

Let me explain.....

I know this oil is beloved by the BMW crew. It is frickin awesome oil.... But I am learning, there are times NOT to use it.

Case in point.... My newly purchased BMW R1100R with low mileage.

After purchasing, I dumped all lubes. Then I poured back in... Rotella T4 15w40 conventional. The bike ran perfect...

Then after about 500 miles, I decided to dump the cheap Rotella and pour in some liquid GOLD.... M1 15w50.

Frick... within 200 miles, I have oil leaks and seeps on the engine. On start-up, the engine has some weird squealing noises that totally concern me.

Tomorrow I am dumping $26 of oil..... and going back to Rotella T4 15w40 Conventional.

I experienced a similar issue with my hexhead. The rear main seal leaked with M1 15w-50 but not with conventional oil.

How many miles are on the R1100R?

I know people on this forum in general will mostly disagree that one oil within a certain spec will leak while others won't, but I've experienced this same thing in an older car, twice, once with Mobil 1 5W-30 and once with Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage. Engine didnt leak oil, then switched to Mobil 1, started leaking almost instantly. Switched back away from Mobil 1, leaking went away.

I really like Mobil 1 for newer vehicles, but in anything older I won't use it anymore. Again, people will say "that can't be right", but there has to be something (in my opinion) about how they formulate their oils that causes this.

I have an R1200R with 66,000 miles. No leaks or squeaks with M1 15W-50.

Did you wash that bike? Water on the alternator belt makes a horrible squeal. It will go away quickly….or just let the bike dry for a few hours.

bac in the day before the Castrol SCAM mobil I 15-50 was a high quality PAO prolly with ester as needed, today not so much as it was reformulated like others using cheeper group III oils that became legally marketed as "synthetic"!!!

bac in the day before the Castrol SCAM mobil I 15-50 was a high quality PAO prolly with ester as needed, today not so much as it was reformulated like others using cheeper group III oils that became legally marketed as "synthetic"!!!
Mobil 1 was still using PAO in certain oils pretty recently, years after the Castrol deal. M1 EP had a good amount of PAO until like a year and a half ago when they switched to GTL. M1 V-Twin apparently still has PAO.

Mercy John... you don't need to swap oil to cure the leaks... all your bike needs is some knowledgeable maintenance...

Back