30,000 mi on unit
2000 mi on test sample
Castrol Actevo 1 qt 20-50, 3+qts 10-40
Lab labeled viscosity as "Caution"
Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 26
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu) 4
Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al) 5
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 3
Sodium (Na) 42
Potassium (K) Coolant No No
Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 869
Calcium (Ca) 1190
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 1035
Zinc (Zn) 1258
Molybdenum (Mo) 7
Boron (B) 62
Contaminants
Water (%) Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 11.1
Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 6.9

DIAGNOSIS
All wear rates normal. Abrasive and other contaminant
levels are acceptable. Viscosity slightly lower than
typical.
Action: No corrective action recommended at this time.
Resample next service interval to further monitor.

By comparison, Amsoil, my usual oil in the above mixture holds up very very for my normal change period of 4000 mile. Can Am recommends 4500 betwn changes. I'm dissapointed with the Castrol since the shifting has become noticeably smoother; something I've not experienced with Amsoil or Valvoline MC oils and would like to continue it for that reason.

Didn't do any damage with the low viscosity. Iron is kind of high, don't know your previous numbers. I am of the opinion that engineers recommend a viscosity range and OCI fully knowing the oil will shear a grade at least, maybe more, doesn't seem to harm the engine at all. I have taken samples from our race quad engines that tested a 20wt after 3 hours (started a 40wt) and showed no increase in wear.

If you like the shifting and can live with 2,000 mile OCI then I'd say you found your oil. If not, then keep looking.

CCD....thanks for the info about shearing. Never heard that before but it sure seems reasonable to me. I tried out the Castrol blend because its widely assumed, but not proven, that BRP branded oil is made by castrol as they use both a full syn and a syn/dino blend. I may cough up the extra $$$ for some BRP oil just to give it a try out of curiosity. Should have done that to begin with but the Castro can be had cheaper.

As to the Iron, in previous five UAO's of Amsoil it was in the mid-20's and one UAO of Valvoline was 15.

silicon of only 3!!!
do you ride in a clean room?
whatever it is you are doing with the air filter...tell that to all the other street riders!!!! man thats a low number.

if that iron is typical then your report is pretty awesome.

yes its a mid-grade 30wt but clearly did no harm. the 1qt of 20w50 didnt keep the 3qt of 10w40 up. i wonder what 4qt of 10w40 would have shown.

you could try 3000mi and resample or even 4000mi

steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh
silicon of only 3!!!
do you ride in a clean room?
whatever it is you are doing with the air filter...tell that to all the other street riders!!!! man thats a low number.

if that iron is typical then your report is pretty awesome.

yes its a mid-grade 30wt but clearly did no harm. the 1qt of 20w50 didnt keep the 3qt of 10w40 up. i wonder what 4qt of 10w40 would have shown.

you could try 3000mi and resample or even 4000mi
steve

Steve, Previous UAO's done at 3000 with Valvoline & Amsoil had Cst of 11.4 & 11.6. With qt of 20-40 added these numbers jumped to 13.1 & 13.7, so I'm pretty convinced the qt of 20-40 does give it the extra viscosity. Just wasn't sure about Castrol so that's
why I did the UAO at 2000 instead and as shown, the same formula of 1 qt 20-50 & rest 10-40 was about the same at 2000mi as the other oils at 3000mi. I've decided to stop worrying about "ruining" my clutch and am going to keep adding some 20-50 to whatever oil I put in. As previously noted, I like the smooth clutch shifting with Castrol and may go with another trial, but with 2 qts 20-50 to begin with. I've always been skeptic of folks that talk about diff oils making thier clutches smoother, putting it down as mostly imagination, but now that I've experienced it myself its a different story. LOL

The air filter was checked at 20,000 and looked good so I left it in till about 28,000 when it was in the shop and had a new one put in. Kept the old one and had I seen how clean it still was, I'd have left it in. Out here in semi-rural NC its not very dusty and its rare to come upon a dirt road. And this summer its been tons of rain! Thought for awhile I had moved to Seattle.

im glad you have gotten to experience the "smoother shifting in a bottle" that some of us have. or in my case, harsh shifting in a bottle.

if you are willing to do 2k oci or even push it to 3k (maybe with more 20w50 during the summer) then dont change anything. no reason too.

steve

interesting.

wow it has a pic of a "motorcycle" on it. its got to be good! lol

especially since right next to that pic is the words JASO MA2 and API SG (sg is from ths 70's right?)

try it and do a similar uoa. price is ok, how much is shipping?

steve

Shipping is $8.98 minimum no matter whether its one qt or 3 gal. More I think
on it, if I stay with Castrol I better stick with what seems to work and that
is a mix of 10-40 & 20-50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back