Amsoil XL 5w30, 10K OCI, 2006 Expeditition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That being the case we really don't know which way iron went then, which is quite unfortunate.

true

considering the fact that i had 21ppm after only 700 miles on the same oil 30,000 miles ago, i doubt it went down considerably.

i've really not had good luck with UOA's in general.

i've had two lost in the mail, one got recovered, and now one mix-up at the lab.

Really, the only reason i'm doing them still is that this vehicle seems to be giving the oil a good workout. if i can find an oil that holds up well at 10k OCI in this vehicle, and produces wear numbers that are at least average for this unit, then i'll feel comfortable using that oil in any vehicle for 10k given the same kind of use (which is more harsh than most). I'm learning a lot from this vehicle and the UOA's, but i doubt i'll ever find my unicorn oil that produces good wear numbers.

someone mentioned Pennzoil Platinum. i tried it many miles ago and it was very noisy and oil consumption was very high, so i have no interest in trying it again. the consumption rate on PP was crazy at 1qt/2,000 miles. every other 5w30 i've used consumes half that much, so that fill was more expensive than using the Amsoil XL (which isn't cheap!) just because of the make-up oil required to get through an OCI. I ended up dumping that PP at 5k OCI just because i couldn't stand the noise and got tired of feeding it oil.

one thing i find interesting, as a whole, is that even with wear numbers that make most cringe, my oil consumption at 200k miles is the same as it was at 100k. it still uses a predictable 1qt/4,000 miles. the High Mileage oils made no measurable difference even when used back to back, so i've given up on those. If i strategically add oil, i can make an extra two quarts last through the 10k OCI. Sometimes, though, i'll just add the whole quart at once if i'm going to be pulling a trailer or going on a long highway trip at 80+mph, so sometimes i have to add 2.5 qts to get to the 10k mark.

still learning a lot, and have enjoyed having a vehicle that i don't mind using as a test bed.

hopefully it can last another year or so to get me past the medical bills that are coming, but after that - to be quite honest- i'll be glad to see it go down the road. I think it will be one of those vehicles i won't miss in the long run.

Originally Posted By: meborder
All engine wear rates normal.
My 2010 running xW-20 never saw more than 22PPM of Fe on a 17K OCI; all of the non-Amsoil UOAs do not show normal wear rates. What is happening with the lead on the Amsoil UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back