15 VW GSW TDI 10k OCI Valvoline SynPower XL-III 5W30

Joined
Nov 29, 2011
Messages
370
Location
Dunbar, WV USA
The last 4 OCIs were Castrol Edge Professional ll03 5w30 but I decided to try Valvoline SynPower XL-III 5W30 in my TDI since I got it on sale. Both oils are VW507.00 approved.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VCA881058


Previous UOAs
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-edge-professional-ll03-5w30#Post5285993

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
 
Talk about a wallop of Zinc and Phosphorus!

Wear and Viscosity are even enough with either brand where i'd choose based on price and availability. Thanks for sharing.
 
Fe dropped pretty nicely telling me the Valvoline's AW package is better and keeping wear down in your engine!

That Zinc, Phos, and Moly look good in that Valvoline! I may try this next in my TDi, gotta OCI of M1 ESP coming next... ehhhhh
 
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Fe dropped pretty nicely telling me the Valvoline's AW package is better and keeping wear down in your engine!

Unfortunately there is little connection between a properly rated oil and "wear numbers" on a UOA. The analysis companies say that. Those numbers are due to operating conditions and design of the engine.

People on here make the conclusion you did that it's due to the oil but there's no factual evidence to support that.
 
Originally Posted by wemay
Talk about a wallop of Zinc and Phosphorus!

Wear and Viscosity are even enough with either brand where i'd choose based on price and availability. Thanks for sharing.


The only thing that concerns me is how this could be a VW507.00 with levels that high. It should be a low SAPS LL03 oil to protect the DPF. maybe it's sulphated ash content is at or below 0.8?
 
Originally Posted by sloinker
Not surprised the Valvoline is better than the Casstrol.

It's not, at least not based on one UOA. A UOA does not in any way show that one fully formulated motor oil is "better" than another.

You continue to make stuff up and post it, please stop your baseless anti-Castrol rant. It's getting idiotic and everyone knows it, even if you can't see my posts.
 
I don't care what so called "facts" say or how useless you think a UOA is. When I see wear metals (Fe) go down from the previous average just by changing oil, I am attributing it to THAT oil!

I see very high amounts of great additives in the Valvoline, much better percentages than the Castrol and the wear numbers show it. Seems pretty simple to me!
 
Originally Posted by racin4ds
I don't care what so called "facts" say or how useless you think a UOA is. When I see wear metals (Fe) go down from the previous average just by changing oil, I am attributing it to THAT oil!

I see very high amounts of great additives in the Valvoline, much better percentages than the Castrol and the wear numbers show it. Seems pretty simple to me!


The wear metals have been dropping since day one so you really can't attribute the drop from the oil. Now if it was level then dropped with a change then I possibly would agree with more UOAs.
 
OP, thanks for the UOA, I’ve always been interested in this XL-III oil.

With Calcium just under 2000 ppm, and Zinc just over 1000 ppm, that is more than I expected for a low-SAPS oil.

Good TBN retention at 4.6 and viscosity KV100 at 10.6 cSt, after almost 10,000 miles. Those VW 504.00/507.00 (ACEA C3) oils are very high quality
 
The quartz I run has calcium over 2000 ppm and comparable zinc/phosporous concentrations, It's a 0.88 % SAPs oil and starts with about 8 TBN.

So it's possible, with at least 10% less calcium that this is a low saps. Especially if 0.84 % gets rounded to 0.8.
 
OP, thanks for the UOA, I’ve always been interested in this XL-III oil.

With Calcium just under 2000 ppm, and Zinc just over 1000 ppm, that is more than I expected for a low-SAPS oil.

Good TBN retention at 4.6 and viscosity KV100 at 10.6 cSt, after almost 10,000 miles. Those VW 504.00/507.00 (ACEA C3) oils are very high quality
I believe VAG refers to 501 spec as “mid SAPS”.
 
VAG does call 504/507 as Low-SAPS

ACEA refers to .8 ppm max sulfated ash as mid-SAPS. (which 504/507 falls under)

ACEA refers to .5 ppm max sulfated ash as low-SAPS
 
Originally Posted by sloinker
Not surprised the Valvoline is better than the Casstrol.

It's not, at least not based on one UOA. A UOA does not in any way show that one fully formulated motor oil is "better" than another.

You continue to make stuff up and post it, please stop your baseless anti-Castrol rant. It's getting idiotic and everyone knows it, even if you can't see my posts.
castrol is life, they make superior oils!
 
Back
Top