U.S. Energy Independence Soars To Highest Level In Over 70 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect this won't last long and I sincerely hope this can be kept apolitical because if this article isn't relevant to this forum then what is? This news is counter to what many believe and while I suspect it will not change many people's minds and there will likely and predictably be attacks on Mr. Rapier and the veracity of the data, at least BITOGers get to see the data and the article.

"Last month the EIA released data showing energy production and consumption numbers for all of 2022. You can see all the data here. In 2022, U.S. net energy exports grew to 5.94 quads, which is the highest number on record. Total U.S. energy production was also the highest on record. Overall, the U.S. produced 2.5% more energy in 2022 than we consumed. By comparison, in 2005 the U.S. consumed 44% more energy than we produced.

In conclusion, 2022 marked the highest level of US energy independence since before 1950. This milestone was achieved through a combination of factors, including the shale boom which led to a steady decline in net energy imports, rather than being solely attributed to any specific presidential administration."

In case you doubt Mr. Rapier's credentials - Robert Rapier is a chemical engineer in the energy industry. Robert has 25 years of international engineering experience in the chemicals, oil and gas, and renewable energy industries, and holds several patents related to his work. He has worked in the areas of oil refining, oil production, synthetic fuels, biomass to energy, and alcohol production. He is author of Utility Forecaster at Investing Daily, and of the book Power Plays: Energy Options in the Age of Peak Oil. Robert has appeared on 60 Minutes, The History Channel, CNBC, Business News Network, CBC, and PBS, and his energy-themed articles have appeared in numerous media outlets, including the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Christian Science Monitor, and The Economist.

Let's keep in mind that this achievement is an American one. Not a Republican or Democrat talking point.

I'm looking forward to an Indepednence Day when the American people can completely extricate their hard earned money from the Arab dictatorships, Russian mafia, and most of all, the Chinese Communist Party.
Finally, a post I can agree with completely! Energy independence has been in motion for decades now regardless of administration, which is of course, counter to some claims.

The situation is more complicated than can be summed up in neat headlines. US production is up, but global crude production is still millions of barrels per day less than 2019. The US is currently exporting slightly more petroleum than we import, but we are exporting a significant amount of refined products which contributes to excessive demand pressure on consumer level products resulting in high prices.

Congress loosened restrictions on petroleum exports back in 2015, IIRC, which has been a double edged sword. It encourages petroleum companies to develop more resources, but also allows foreign consumers to compete against US consumers for American refined petro products and increases prices.

I am a free market guy, but I kinda wish we would stop allowing gasoline and diesel exports.

The situation is more complicated than can be summed up in neat headlines. US production is up, but global crude production is still millions of barrels per day less than 2019. The US is currently exporting slightly more petroleum than we import, but we are exporting a significant amount of refined products which contributes to excessive demand pressure on consumer level products resulting in high prices.

Congress loosened restrictions on petroleum exports back in 2015, IIRC, which has been a double edged sword. It encourages petroleum companies to develop more resources, but also allows foreign consumers to compete against US consumers for American refined petro products and increases prices.

I am a free market guy, but I kinda wish we would stop allowing gasoline and diesel exports.
I appreciate your thoughtful and substantive comments that actually add value to this discussion and your comments have given me food for thought.

I am against energy exports as well. We had a situation in MD. for over 30 years where our hydroelectric plant just 10 miles away sold it's electric to Pennsylvania which sold it back to us increasing our cost by double.
It took decades to rectify.
I think our energy here belongs to the American people first not last.

...and here we go...lol. THE DATA IS AVAILABLE in the OP to look at for yourself! Let's stick to the content of the article...
Let’s take the article as if it were in a political vacuum. Let’s ask some questions.
1. If this is true, why are energy prices so dang high still?
2. Are export profits at all time highs? If not, why?
3. I know there are some exports because of lack of demand for certain products here, but if there are exports of a product that we make here, why would we import over a domestic availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back