U.S. clears way for truly driverless vehicles without steering wheels

All vehicles being level 5 only will mean 0 deaths from drunk drivers, 0 deaths from drivers on drugs, 0 death from bad drivers, and basicly reducing the number of yearly deaths from vehicle accidents to less than 1% of what they are now.

Considering that now that figure is around 30,000 deaths in the US alone each year, that is the saving of MANY lives.

The reduction in healthcare costs for vehicle related deaths and injuries is huge. This is something that everyone should agree on.

The sooner we can get safe driverless cars, the better. The average U.S. driver is a complete moron who cares only about their own destination, doesn't understand that we all share the road, and certainly doesn't care about anyone's safety including their own. And with the new generation of drivers, it's only getting worse. Sadly, this average driver also thinks they are a pretty good behind the wheel. Bring on the autonomous car.

What could possibly go wrong?

slingshot revenge.gif

I think they will gradually roll them out for delivery and long haul at night or other low traffic times, on designated route, then gradually adjust the road certification, traffic rule, improve design, etc. Imagine having driverless cars stay together "behind" other human driver cars in a crowd, and know when the lights will turn from green to yellow and will never run a yellow or red. It will not block traffic, it will not run redlight, and if someone else at the intersection run redlight it can detect it and avoid it. Seems like a win-win to me.

This is like how we moved from horses to automobile, the road changes over time and now completely different than the horses days.

Imagine a guy riding horses say the same to automobile when it first came out, then 20 years later buy a car and retire the horses.
Imagine the government telling you where you can turn right and where you can't turn right and what time to go home

Considering a proper driverless car has about 5x the gpu power of the current top of the line PC 3D graphics card you are talking a $7000-$10000 hunk of silicon to go driverless ignoring firmware and software costs.

We can’t even make enough low end video cards for consumer PCs, how do we expect to make enough high end units for every car?

PC chips are approaching the atomically limits which means we also are hitting the limits to cost cutting, which means a massive cost increase to go driverless

Not hardly , I go where I want when I want . I don't want or need a NANNY

Around here that will get you a bill at the end of the month with billing fees and interest.

Want to drive in the left lane, look up first and see how much it costs. It’s variable.

Considering a proper driverless car has about 5x the gpu power of the current top of the line PC 3D graphics card you are talking a $7000-$10000 hunk of silicon to go driverless ignoring firmware and software costs.

We can’t even make enough low end video cards for consumer PCs, how do we expect to make enough high end units for every car?

PC chips are approaching the atomically limits which means we also are hitting the limits to cost cutting, which means a massive cost increase to go driverless
I don't think the future driverless car would throw everything and the kitchen sink at the problem like we do today. Paying $7k-10k worth of silicon just for fun doesn't make sense when the hype goes away either. The way I see it we can lower our driverless AI need by going 1) slower, 2) when there's no traffic around (mid night), 3) laying down standard markers on the road, 4) limit the usage on well defined road (divided highway).

Since practical technology has to make a profit on its own, this means they need to replace paid labor instead of your own time you must spend while driving anyways.

So that means we will first see this on long haul truck going at mid night between warehouses, slow enough to save fuel and AI need, and if something happen just crash the truck away from other vehicles instead of deciding which pedestrians to hit.

Or if you must do it quick and dirty, have these driverless car or truck follow another human driver in the vehicle in front like a trailer. This should be pretty easy to do with drive by wire sending all the signals to the back (or even a physical wire if you want). You can even roll it out today so people can just go on road trip with 2 small cars instead of a crew cab or SUVs, and still get the same cargo capacity and passenger space with the fuel economy for daily commutes.

Most importantly, once we have critical mass of commercial driverless trucks we will start seeing special road markers to help them out, even if it means the industry pay for the roll out. Then once that happen we no longer need these statistics and vision based AI to drive, just follow some special markers on the road that's design for driverless guidance.

Next they're going to have machines that monitor what we say and hand out tickets when we use curse words.
We already have breath analyzers in some vehicles for insurance purposes. You want to blame the insurance companies for that or do you want to blame the former drunk drivers?
But that's your choice to live there , there is lots of vehicles to deal with on highways
Unless you live in the rural with no road and ride horses everywhere, as long as you drive on public roads you will have the state DMV telling you what to do and what not to do. Try driving without a license or an insurance, and see how that works out if you get into an accident.

Bear arm is a right, driving is not (according to DMVs).

I think they will gradually roll them out for delivery and long haul at night or other low traffic times, on designated route, then gradually adjust the road certification, traffic rule, improve design, etc. Imagine having driverless cars stay together "behind" other human driver cars in a crowd, and know when the lights will turn from green to yellow and will never run a yellow or red. It will not block traffic, it will not run redlight, and if someone else at the intersection run redlight it can detect it and avoid it. Seems like a win-win to me.

This is like how we moved from horses to automobile, the road changes over time and now completely different than the horses days.

Imagine a guy riding horses say the same to automobile when it first came out, then 20 years later buy a car and retire the horses.

Or .... .

Imagine the German army finding that using horses was much better than trucks in the mud on the Eastern front in WW II...

And that the only reliable ground transportation of supplies was only possible by horses and mules.

Back