Typical (bad) dealership experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they lie?

Did they say, “Your car is fixed.”?

Or did they say, “Your car is ready.” And what you heard, because it was what you wanted to hear, was, “your car is fixed”?

If the tech can’t hear the noise, then they can’t tell where it’s coming from. They can’t fix something they can’t duplicate or diagnose.

I don’t know of any mechanics who shotgun parts at a car based on customer troubleshooting, video, or no video.

I don’t understand the clutch part of the story. Does driving two hours risk burning up the clutch in your manual transmission? That’s a driver problem. Not the problem of the dealership.

If driving an hour each way for warranty service was a problem, then you should not have bought a car from a dealer that far away. That was your decision.
I don’t just hear things for the fun of it. The fact that I’m responding to your ridiculous comment is almost befuddling. What’s there to understand with the clutch thing? It wasn’t hard to follow. Allow me to try again maybe you’ll get it the second time around. I don’t want some random person I don’t know driving my car an hour one way and an hour back to my house , part of the drive is in rush hour traffic. My worry is I’ll get some idiot that cannot drive a stick shift and they’ll abuse my clutch on the drive. The majority of people nowadays cannot drive a stick certainly you know what. So it’s very logical that after this ridiculous experience I have had with them to be Leary of them driving my car that distance. Obviously if you cannot drive a stick you can destroy a clutch pretty quickly. Definitely in less than an hour drive. They couldn’t handle a simple blower motor job who knows what else they’d screw up.
Let’s be real here diagnosing a blower motor and fixing it should be pretty easy stuff. It’s not a difficult diagnosis. When you turn it on it squeaks like crazy. There’s no way they didn’t hear it they just didn’t care….. or they let the deaf guy diagnose a noise problem….. either way anyone with normal hearing would be able to easily hear the fan squealing. I even asked before picking the vehicle up. “ did you replace the blower motor” they replied “yes”. I didn’t just hear what I wanted to hear or any other conspiracy nonsense. 🤬

Would they happen to be in Springfield?
My late FIL came oh so close to driving his Expedition through their showroom window after they screwed him over "servicing" his truck.
No hazelwood ford dealer. Although I read reviews and they have a lot of bad ones especially recently!

We bought our Kia Soul at a dealer about 1 hour from our home. They own multiple dealers and are the biggest dealer in our area. A few days ago the blower motor started squeaking intermittently.
I assume you test drove it, and it didn't squeak then. It probably also didn't squeak while the tech was looking at it. They can't fix something if they don't find it broken. I assume it's over 5 years old or has more than 60,000 miles and is thus outside the Kia bumper to bumper warranty. Most used car warranties after that, are just for the powertrain. Replacing the blower wouldn't be covered, letalone "squeaks." It they said they replaced the blower but didn't, that's a separate issue, bad on them, but they probably had no obligation to. On an older used car, you're expected to have some post purchase repairs. At least it's nothing major.

No nonsense or conspiracy in my question.

Just trying to understand where the truth lies in a story about the diagnosis of a minor problem on a seven year old car, wrapped in a melodramatic block of text.

I assume you test drove it, and it didn't squeak then. It probably also didn't squeak while the tech was looking at it. They can't fix something if they don't find it broken. I assume it's over 5 years old or has more than 60,000 miles and is thus outside the Kia bumper to bumper warranty. Most used car warranties after that, are just for the powertrain. Replacing the blower wouldn't be covered, letalone "squeaks." It they said they replaced the blower but didn't, that's a separate issue, bad on them, but they probably had no obligation to. On an older used car, you're expected to have some post purchase repairs. At least it's nothing major.
A whole lot of assuming. It came with a bumper to bumper warranty for 6 months or 7500 miles.
If they didn’t hear it it’s because they didn’t turn the blower motor on. It’ll make noise anytime it’s on. Didn’t squeak when I drove it I wouldn’t have bought the car if it did. If they’re are going to offer a bumper to bumper warranty they should stand by it. If they have no intentions of doing so they shouldn’t offer it. But that little warranty should be more than just a sales pitch.

Squeaking squirrel cages and cheap plastic latches.
Broken hood hardware result in no catches.
GPS discs fly away as with wings.
This are a few of my least favorite things.
{sung to the tune of, "Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music}

Seriously, in this era of absent workers it's surprising that they'd dispatch a driver to make 2 round trips to investigate your claim....all the while providing a loaner.
Maybe they're not as bad as you think?

I'm ALWAYS with anybody in not wanting some unknown entity drive your standard shift vehicle but sometimes you gotta trust people.
I sure don't, as a rule.

You've weighed your discomfort with the specifics of their offer and have decided to do it yourself. Congrats.

Last edited:
Squeaking squirrel cages and cheap plastic latches.
Broken hood hardware result in no catches.
GPS discs fly away as with wings.
This are a few of my least favorite things.

Seriously, in this era of absent workers it's surprising that they'd dispatch a driver to make 2 round trips to investigate your claim....all the while providing a loaner.
Maybe they're not as bad as you think?

I'm ALWAYS with anybody in not wanting some unknown entity drive your standard shift vehicle but sometimes you gotta trust people.
I sure don't, as a rule.

You've weighed your discomfort with the specifics of their offer and have decided to do it yourself. Congrats.
I don’t think the entire company is bad. I actually think their sales dept is pretty decent. Their service department is in the toilet though. So to add to the story last night the sales manager made the offer to pick up the car fix it and bring it back. I didn’t outright tell him no immediately I told him my concerns and said I’d think about it and get back to him today. Well just a few minutes ago I got a call from the service manager who said she was told about the offer the sales manager provided but that there was no way she could send a tech an hour away to pick up my car and he should haven’t promised that. Oddly enough she didn’t call from the dealership at least it wasn’t the regular number. I was told last night she was off till after Christmas. Either way I told her I had decided not to let them pick up my car and i already bought the part and intend on fixing it myself. If they want to make it right they can pay for the part. If not then lesson learned.

You first said it made noise intermittently. Not arguing with you but perhaps there is failure to communicate the issue to the service department?
Sometimes if you turn it straight to high it won’t make noise. I explained to them if you turn it on setting 2 (2 seems to be the worst) and go for a drive within a couple minutes it’ll start making the noise and once it starts it won’t stop. It does take a couple minutes of being on before it’ll start but once it starts it’ll be constant. Almost like the bearing is going bad in the fan but it has to heat up a little bit from friction before the lube breaks down enough to allow it to squeal. Hopefully that makes sense. So it’s intermittent in the sense that it doesn’t do it as soon as it comes on but once it starts the noise it doesn’t stop until you shut it off. The night I dropped it off I even showed the service advisor and pointed the noise out to him so they wouldn’t have any issues diagnosing it. I made it about 100 ft out of their parking lot before it started making noise. It took maybe 2 minute of driving to navigate through the parking lot and into the street. Had they taken a little bit of time to actually try to diagnose it they would have heard it. Chances are they jumped in turned it on went through the settings and said it’s quiet and called it a day. But had they listened to how it acts up and what little effort would be needed to hear the noise they would have been able to diagnose it without any issues.

This is what you do:
R&R the blower. Make sure the new one doesn't squeak.
After Christmas, bring the old unit to HER with the receipt for the new one for reimbursement.
Remember to tell HER that you're not charging them a cent for labor and that no employee time was involved.
Get back to us on this very thread.
MC&HNY

That's inexcusable they would outright lie to your face about work that was never performed. That's no accident either. That story was fully corroborated by several service department people. It had to be.

Not to mention forged paperwork, telling you work was performed, and parts replaced that weren't. Coaching counter people on what to say, etc. if asked questions. What aggravates me when I hear about this kind of crap, is how they can be so stupid to think they can actually get away with it. Telling you that a problem part was replaced, when it in fact it was never touched.

It's why my vehicles will NEVER see the inside of a dealership, unless there is absolutely no other way... And then I'll do nothing but worry from the time I drop it off, until the time I pick it up.

It's getting to the point, that if you want to save humanity, you can start by taking ALL the people who work at car dealerships, and dump them all into the ocean. And pray it doesn't damage too much marine life. You could replace them with prisoners out on a work detail, and you would get more honesty. Not to mention better service.
Would you like to come try and dump me into the ocean or do you expect me to do it for you??

I like how job discrimination is the new cool thing. I guess since you can’t get by with acting superior to others due to age, gender or race anymore you’ve moved on to the way they provide for their families. Way to keep it classy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back