Customer states A/C not working well

Just finished up with a project and thought you'd all get a chuckle..

A farmer customer of mine has a 2015 F250/6.2 - he was dissatisfied with the AC performance. Didn't care about what it took to fix it, just make it work. He said it didn't blow out the vents very well and that it wasn't as cold as he thought it ought to be. The first thing that I noticed was a big hole in the HVAC box that had been taped up, then an aftermarket blower and wire repairs.. So I bought a used box which came loaded with all the motors and heater/evaporator core and wire harnesses. I noticed that the used evaporator had some junk in it so I cleaned it out, but that got my curiosity up. I pulled the original evaporator and holy crap! Little wonder it had poor performance...

I replaced the resistor with a new OE unit because to replace it normally, you'd have to pull the dash since it's on the back side of the HVAC box against the firewall and also a new OE blower. The blows cold and strong now!
PXL_20230811_162556646.jpg
PXL_20230811_162248697.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished up with a project and thought you'd all get a chuckle..

A farmer customer of mine has a 2015 F250/6.2 - he was dissatisfied with the AC performance. Didn't care about what it took to fix it, just make it work. He said it didn't blow out the vents very well and that it wasn't as cold as he thought it ought to be. The first thing that I noticed was a big hole in the HVAC box that had been taped up, then an aftermarket blower and wire repairs.. So I bought a used box which came loaded with all the motors and heater/evaporator core and wire harnesses. I noticed that the used evaporator had some junk in it so I cleaned it out, but that got my curiosity up. I pulled the original evaporator and holy crap! Little wonder it had poor performance...

I replaced the resistor with a new OE unit because to replace it normally, you'd have to pull the dash since it's on the back side of the HVAC box against the firewall and also a new OE blower. The blows cold and strong now!View attachment 172127View attachment 172128
Reminds me of the YT channel "Just Rolled In".

I doubt that this vehicle even HAS a CAF. Downstream wouldn't make much sense, would it?

I would think that all 2015 model year vehicles sold in the U.S. would have a cabin air filter. It makes no sense to position the CAF downstream of the evaporator; however, I have seen more than one vehicle set up that way, albeit from the '90's when they first started installing them.

I would think that all 2015 model year vehicles sold in the U.S. would have a cabin air filter. It makes no sense to position the CAF downstream of the evaporator; however, I have seen more than one vehicle set up that way, albeit from the '90's when they first started installing them.
The 16 f350 at my work does not have a filter

Super Dutys didn't get them until the AlumaDutys came out in 2017. Those use the same one as the 2015 generation F-150s as that was the first year for the F-150 to officially have a cabin filter.

We used to see similar problems with trucks that worked exclusively in our landfill. Also they got new engine air filters every PM- (4K or 3 months).

It actually belongs to a farmer - when they're harvesting corn and/or beans, that truck is in some serious dust. Especially beans... Their dust is some nasty crap - that's mostly what plugged up his evaporator.
Or wheat or Hay, or alfalfa, or just the dusty roads in the field. I do see a lot of seeds though.

Back