Types of Mobil 1 oil for F-150 3.5 EB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by jcartwright99
SuperTech at the factory recommended is more than what you need.

Pretty sure he didn't ask about SuperTech.

Pretty sure it does not matter.

Pretty sure Mobil 1 with a rebate is cheaper than SuperTech synthetic.

It depends how much you buy with 8 quarts for my Silverado and the $12 Mobil rebate it's about .80 more than Super Tech everyday price. Today with Super Tech being on Rollback Super Tech is about $10 less even factoring in Mobil Rebate.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
SuperTech at the factory recommended is more than what you need.

I don't believe it has the Ford approval?

No, it doesn't.

It has it. API SN+ ISLAC GF-5

We were talking about the WSS-xxxx one.

That is not a requirement.

No, I believe it's just a recommendation, but Ford's verbiage is a bit funky:

Originally Posted by Ford
Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API).An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricants Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC).

Then point #3:
Add engine oil that meets our specifications. See Capacities and Specifications. You may have to use a funnel to pour the engine oil into the opening.

In Capacities and Specifications:

Recommended motor oil (U.S.): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP
Specification: WSS-M2C946-B1

Further down:

If you use oil and fluids that do not meet the defined specification and viscosity grade, this could lead to:
- Component damage that your vehicle warranty does not cover.
- Longer engine cranking periods.
- Increased emission levels.
- Reduced engine performance.
- Reduced fuel economy.
- Reduced brake performance.
We recommend Motorcraft® motor oil for your vehicle.If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.

To me, it reads like they want you to use Motorcraft or an oil that meets the WSS-M2C946-B1 specification. If that isn't available, you can use SN. However, IF that causes damage, and it doesn't meet the specification, your warranty may not cover it
21.gif

I think in this case, to play it safe, I'd use an oil that carries the specification, of which there are myriad.

To me, it reads like they want you to use Motorcraft or an oil that meets the WSS-M2C946-B1 specification. If that isn't available, you can use SN. However, IF that causes damage, and it doesn't meet the specification, your warranty may not cover it
21.gif

At least that spec doesn't go off on a phosphorus tangent.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by tenderloin
Several M1 oils meet the new Ford spec....

M1 Oil Specs

This doesn't appear to be up to date.

Vanilla Mobil1 PDS for 5w-30 SN+ shows it meets the -B1 spec.

Not a chance Mobil's flagship product does NOT meet a big 3 domestic manufacturers spec.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

I would use regular Mobil 1 5w30.

5W-30
Specifications and approvals

Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
API SN, SM, SL, SJ, SN PLUS, SN PLUS RESOURCE CONSERVING
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Ford WSS-M2C946-B1
Mobil 1 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:
General Motors Service Fill dexos1â„¢ Gen 2 (license number D10104GH015)
Honda/Acura HTO-06
Mobil 1 5W-30 is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring:
General Motors 4718M
General Motors 6094M
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
Technical details

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 11.0
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 61.7
Viscosity Index 172
Sulfated Ash, wt%, (ASTM D874) 0.8
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981) 0.08
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.1
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -42
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230
Density @15º C g/ml, (ASTM D4052) 0.855

Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API).An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricants Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC).

Then point #3:
Add engine oil that meets our specifications. See Capacities and Specifications. You may have to use a funnel to pour the engine oil into the opening.

Recommended motor oil (U.S.): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP

Further down:

If you use oil and fluids that do not meet the defined specification and viscosity grade, this could lead to:
- Reduced fuel economy.
We recommend Motorcraft® motor oil for your vehicle.If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.

21.gif

I think in this case, to play it safe, I'd use an oil that carries the specification, of which there are myriad.

To me it straight forward

Missing Image
An oil that displays this symbol conforms to current engine, emission system and fuel economy performance standards of ILSAC.

Missing Image
An oil that displays this symbol conforms to current engine, emission system and fuel economy performance standards of ILSAC.

You are ignoring all the language about the specification though.

Then point #3:

Further down:

- Reduced fuel economy.

21.gif

Missing Image

I think you are letting your SuperTech bias show through. Ford has a certification standard they want you to use. If you use something else, that follows another standard and your engine blows because of an oil related issue, they don't have to honor you warranty.

Missing Image

What I posted is the requirement everything else about MSS is recommendations.

Missing Image

What I posted is the requirement everything else about MSS is recommendations.

You posted your interpretation. Obviously, we are interpreting this differently:

If you use oil and fluids that do not meet the defined specification
and viscosity grade, this could lead to:
- Reduced fuel economy.
We recommend Motorcraft® motor oil for your vehicle. If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.

I'm interpreting as use Motorcraft oil, or an oil that meets the Ford specification indicated. If you cannot get either of those and are in need of oil, use only oil labelled API SN.

It would be nice if Ford had used clearer language though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back