Type II diabetes and intermittent fasting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Type II Diabetes and Intermittent Fasting

We had a few discussions on type II and intermittent fasting.

I was very interested to find out how fasting helps type II diabetes.

The summation from what I have gathered till now is:
1. Too much insulin production leads to insulin desensitization in one's body
2. Reducing carb/sugar and calorie intake leads to lower overall insulin production and then in turn body becomes sensitive to insulin again.

But what about fasting?

Fat around the pancreas - yes sir, those chunks around your pancreas aka fatty acid causes insulin production to be elevated (not in everyone though).

So fasting or reduced calorie diet helps get rid of the fat around the pancreas and in turn lowers insulin production.

From what I found it was a German Study, can't find the link right now.

Here is some info

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...ct-against-type-2-diabetes-98143276.html

http://www.dife.de/

Fasting is just one piece of the puzzle. It's also what you eat during the rest of the time.

I fast 14 hours overnight and eat within the other 10 hours. Small portions, vegetables and protein, and keeping carb intake around 60-80 grams a day helps me.

The problem is that my experience may not be beneficial for you. Some diabetics cannot tolerate even half that amount of carbs.

Exercise is also key. Diabetes is a whole lifestyle change.

That's not the only benefit of real intermittent fasting. Mitochondrial function is significantly improved with a fasting regimen and inflammation is significantly reduced.

It would be nice to blame something as simple as dietary fat, lack of exercise or carb intake. But the fact is that as we age, cellular degradation takes place. Aging impairs the overall quality of the mitochondrial network. Real fasting improves mitochondrial performance.

Searching the net for info on intermittent fasting and mitochondria returns some fascinating and very detailed results.

Last edited:
There is an article this month about intermittent fasting. It's a very good read in New England Journal of Medicine by Rafael de Cabo. It presents all the evidence so far associated with it.

I do believe for myself that, fasting is good!
I do this several time a year and I feel more energetic like a hungry lion who hasn't eaten in 3 days.

I have an autoimmune disease that's just about done me in. Fasting has been a big help, and I will feel well for 2 days after a fast. That's a heck of a lot better than the few hours relief I get from meds.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
You got me completely lost ! :-(

Sorry, ask your questions please,

basically if you are type II diabetic, then fast often, reduce the bad stuff and eat more of the good stuff.
the aim is to reverse type II diabetes

Diabetes is nasty. I was a type 2 diabetic for 22 years, keeping my A1c around 5.5 to 6.5 with diet, exercise and metformin. Then I developed chronic lymphocytic luekemia (I am 71) and started taking Imbruvica daily. This is a drug that inhibits an enzyme (Google it) and is not considered chemo. This ruined my insulin production and now I have to take long acting insulin in the morning and regular insulin before every meal. Even eating one saltine will drive my blood sugar close to 200! Imbruvica also severely compromised my immune system, a known side effect, and has led to a few infections on my foot and leg. Diabetes does not help this!!!

Moral: Keep your A1c under control by whatever means works for you. Having to take insulin is not fun, especially when you have to travel with it or have to take it along to restaurants and take a shot after deciding what low carb dinner to have.

Last edited:
The NYT has an article on the "added sugar challenge". Also helpful to get A1C down.

I would not make any changes based upon a study or advice here without talking to primary care doctor.

Originally Posted by Donald

I would not make any changes based upon a study or advice here without talking to primary care doctor.

Most definitely.

Here I am aiming for:

1. Getting rid of excess fat - running, healthy diet, more sleep
2. Reduced calorie intake, more fruits with fiber, when I eat less, I have to eat fiber to keep regular.

banana - 1
apple 1 to 2
some grapes

I like apple the most, it fills me up pretty good and keeps me regular too :)
I break them up over the day, good thing is that i can eat these while I am in the car driving.

We've crossed the boundary into specific medical discussion.

Diet is an acceptable topic.

Medical implications, drugs, and advice, are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back