TX heat and oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 148° radiating off the pavement the oil in the pan is losing heat if you come to a stop in traffic from highway speed. That is much cooler than operating temp.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
I live in Shreveport but they let me cross the border every morning to work in Jefferson. 5W20 is sloshing away in my Fit. PS, Louisiana is no cooler. Matter of fact, Shreveport appears to be 3 degrees hotter (100 vs 97) than Jefferson at the moment.

There's tons of people out there running 20 weight in all those Accords and Civics and the like on the road.

Watch out when you encounter BIG HEAT. That's all they have in Texas. That border can just tip the scale.

Well that may very well be but this heat has gotta be tough on oil. I am amazed though that you very seldom see cars on the side of the road anymore with the hood up and overheating. Cooling systems have sure come a long way. I probably will fall back to M1 5W30 after this run and then back to 5W20 for the winter. They may be close or identical in terms of performance but it's a peace of mind thing (flame suit on).
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Man you guys are a confident bunch with this 20wt oil. I mostly agree with the notion that it will be "fine" with 20wt in it but I always wonder if I can do better. I'm in San Antonio also and words can't describe the heat we've had for the last month. I sit in traffic idling with the a/c on and its 103 deg with a heat index of 107 and I cringe for the poor engine. I stuck my infrared thermometer out at the pavement yesterday and it read 148 degrees! My 08 mustang has M1 0W40 in it right now and seems to love it. I know it sure makes me feel better.
cool.gif

I only use it because I'm still under warranty. Once it's gone I'll be moving up to a 30 weight.

PP 5-20 is purrfect for Texas. I just take my 5 quart jug to the dealer and watch them put it in. I get 'em to return the jug with maybe 7 ounces remaining so I can use it for top up. Stay cool,man. Too hot to fish.

My 2.4l Accord did well with M1 0W20 for five years in TX heat and exceeded EPA mileage both in town and on the highway the entire time I owned it. As usual down here, the A/C was never turned off. Don't sweat it.

Well that may very well be but this heat has gotta be tough on oil.

Why? Better engine oils typically don't start suffering thermal damage until the high 200s (farenheit), which is much hotter than your engine probably sees even in this heat. Higher temps are probably easier on the oil in that they more quickly drive off water, fuel, and other contaminants that can lead to acid formation. Oils with high volatility might have problems.

I am amazed though that you very seldom see cars on the side of the road anymore with the hood up and overheating. Cooling systems have sure come a long way.

Like oil, I think coolants have come a lot further than cooling systems for the most part. Radiators plugged with corrosion by-products are what used to cause overheating. Modern antifreezes (well, except DexCool
48.gif
) just don't gunk up radiators like the older ones did. I've got two old 60s cars, one with a stone stock cooling system except for modern antifreeze. No problems in the current 104+ daily heat. One of these same cars used to routinely have to have the radiator rodded out "back in the day" but never anymore. Don't know about the other one, I've only owned it since '94.

Yes, electric fans on modern cooling systems are a big help in city traffic, though. One of my oldies has a pair of pusher fans for the R-134a converted AC, and it's temp never budges in traffic, whereas the other one with just the engine-driven fan heats up about 10-15 degrees from where it runs on the freeway on a 100+ degree day.

Yup same here, '72 c10 with a 350 thaqt does stop and go for maybe ten minutes plus 10 miles at 70 on I-10 twice everyday to get to summer school and home. My temp gage stays at 1/4 and my thermometer radiator cap shows 170. My oil smells like gas after sitting (typical quadrajet leakdown) but is perfect after driving. If anything the heat is good for the car imo. Quick warm up and better mileage if you have efi. Mine just smells richer and has less power in the heat
frown.gif
Too bad a component cracked and leaked my freon just in time for summer

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
20W50 ftw!!!!!!!!
11.gif
10.gif

(just imagine me saying "Remember the Alamo")

YaHOO!!! ..YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHOO!

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I have asked a different version of this question, you will get about a 50/50 split of opinions. I have to stay with 5-20 in my Honda (warrenty), but as soon as its out, I will immeadiatly switch to 5-30. Thicker IS better in TX.

Just spent the past weekend in D-FW, and then back to the Gulf Coast. D-FW a degree or two hotter, Houston clearly FEELS hotter. 95% humidity, 100 degrees...Terrible.

PS: travelling to COOL Canada and NY in two weeks!

You guys in TX must be getting all of the heat this year.Up here were having the wimpiest summer i`ve ever seen!

It's great for losing weight and staying very lean. I still change my own oil in the morning when it's not as hot (80 degrees) and the winters are wimps here. On top of that, 'look mah, no shovel'(as in shoveling snow EVERY morning) Everything up north is expensive too. I just got a studio apartment for 450 bucks a month and this is right by one of the main 'drags' in Houston. Pretty wimpy as well here. Besides, americans are a stay indoors no matter how great the weather type ppl anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
20W50 ftw!!!!!!!!
11.gif
10.gif

(just imagine me saying "Remember the Alamo")

YaHOO!!! ..YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHOO!

I ran vr1 20w-50 once as they didn't have 10-30 and I wanted the zinc. That stuff would pretty much peg the oil pressure gauge at 90 degrees then just above idle. No bueno

Well I certainly appreciate all of the replies. I still can't believe I'm participating on a board dedicated almost solely to MOTOR OIL. lol. I've got about 2 oil changes worth of Pennzoil Platinum which I will use. I bought 40 quarts almost 2 years ago during an Autozone promotion. Did they change the formulation in the past year? The bottles I have say "With Adaptive Molecules." The new bottles say "With Active Cleansing Agents" lol. Same oil? I wonder which one is better lol.

Quote:
I still can't believe I'm participating on a board dedicated almost solely to MOTOR OIL.

It's twew! It's twew! We are discussing dreams in the G&OT forum, though. You may want to check in there.
21.gif

I don't live in TX but I would have no problems running a 20 wt oil in that heat. That is if the car calls for it. The heat is probably better for the engine, since the oil will reach operating temps faster. As others said, modern car engines have better cooling systems, and modern oils are better than the oils of the past. Fear not!

AD

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
With 148° radiating off the pavement the oil in the pan is losing heat if you come to a stop in traffic from highway speed. That is much cooler than operating temp.

Cold climate folks would appreciate having pre-heated oil for cold starts.

I tried 5w-20, 5w-30 and 10w-30 in my cars and settled on 5w-30. Engines vibrate more on 10w, and cold starts on cooler mornings were noisier on 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
Im from AZ and 112 here does not feel as bad as 95 in Houston.
I dont see how people can live with that humidity

95% humidity: It's God's natural sauna.

I think it's something you eventually get used to if you live in it long enough.

Man you guys are a confident bunch with this 20wt oil. I mostly agree with the notion that it will be "fine" with 20wt in it but I always wonder if I can do better. I'm in San Antonio also and words can't describe the heat we've had for the last month. I sit in traffic idling with the a/c on and its 103 deg with a heat index of 107 and I cringe for the poor engine. I stuck my infrared thermometer out at the pavement yesterday and it read 148 degrees! My 08 mustang has M1 0W40 in it right now and seems to love it. I know it sure makes me feel better.
cool.gif

I use 5w20 with confidence in my Accord. Not concerned at all.

With the pavement at 148, I'm actually really concerned about my tire tread separating. I had a whole set of tires separate when I made a 800 mile round trip here in Florida once when it was around that hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back